ADVERTISEMENT

O-line next year

cheerscoach

HR MVP
Mar 4, 2010
The O-line I would like to see next year is LT- Jackson, LG- Wirfs, C- Banwart, RG- Levi Paulson, RT- Kallenberger. One of the reason's I say this is because these are easily the top 5 linemen and I think Wirfs will be a guard in the NFL (and if he has a big year at guard, he may leave after next year). Wouldn't it be really fun to run left with that lineup? I'm sure many will disagree with me, but speculation is fun sometimes. They could play Kallenberger at guard and then move him to tackle when Jackson and/or Wirfs leave. They have done that with many over the years. Who does anyone think will be the 6th and 7th linemen to work their way in? Kirkpatrick? Landon Paulson? One of the youngsters? I would guess that Duwa would be the backup center. Discuss?

You mentioned it, but Wirfs will stay at Tackle. Kallenberger likely plays guard for one year before Tristan leaves after his Junior year.
Wouldn't surprise me if they think about it and look at it. Wirfs would be a better guard than Kallenberger but Kallenberger showed pretty damn well at tackle the first game against an all american, so what is the best combination for the team? You are probably right and I certainly trust the coaches, but like I said, it's fun to speculate at times.

Wouldn't surprise me if they think about it and look at it. Wirfs would be a better guard than Kallenberger but Kallenberger showed pretty damn well at tackle the first game against an all american, so what is the best combination for the team? You are probably right and I certainly trust the coaches, but like I said, it's fun to speculate at times.
I think Wirfs is a better LT than Jackson, but it sounds like Jackson struggles at RT, so they keep Wirfs at RT. I don’t think Kallrnberger is a better Tackle than either of these two, but never know what the coaches will do to get the 5 best on the field. Some guys just can’t play inside.

The O-line I would like to see next year is LT- Jackson, LG- Wirfs, C- Banwart, RG- Levi Paulson, RT- Kallenberger. One of the reason's I say this is because these are easily the top 5 linemen and I think Wirfs will be a guard in the NFL (and if he has a big year at guard, he may leave after next year). Wouldn't it be really fun to run left with that lineup? I'm sure many will disagree with me, but speculation is fun sometimes. They could play Kallenberger at guard and then move him to tackle when Jackson and/or Wirfs leave. They have done that with many over the years. Who does anyone think will be the 6th and 7th linemen to work their way in? Kirkpatrick? Landon Paulson? One of the youngsters? I would guess that Duwa would be the backup center. Discuss?
Those might be the top 5 OL heading into next year, with Landan P and Duwa in the 2 deeps. Who are the next 2 or 3 young guys to make the 2 deeps? Gotta have depth.

You mentioned it, but Wirfs will stay at Tackle. Kallenberger likely plays guard for one year before Tristan leaves after his Junior year.
I like the promise of our OTs ... but I need to see more well-rounded play before I think they're yet to a point where they're early entry candidates. Frankly, since Wirfs is a TR SO ... I would surmise that he might be more likely to stay for his SR year.

To me Wifs is our nest tackle and he has all the physical capabilities to be a tackle in the NFL. That being said, I wouldn't mind him lined up next to Jackson on one side.

I think you've got the starting 5 right, I just don't know where they settle on Wirfs and Kallenberger. I'm sure they'll experiment heavily in the offseason.

I would assume Landan Paulsen is the 6th man, and Kirkpatrick or maybe even Duwa at Guard as the 7th. I think Newborg has fallen to the multiple-position-changes kiss of death, but we've had seniors surprise before, too.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
I think you've got the starting 5 right, I just don't know where they settle on Wirfs and Kallenberger. I'm sure they'll experiment heavily in the offseason.

I would assume Landan Paulsen is the 6th man, and Kirkpatrick or maybe even Duwa at Guard as the 7th. I think Newborg has fallen to the multiple-position-changes kiss of death, but we've had seniors surprise before, too.
I heard the Newborg has fought minor injuries a lot as well. Too bad, seemed like a decent prospect when he got here.

I like the promise of our OTs ... but I need to see more well-rounded play before I think they're yet to a point where they're early entry candidates. Frankly, since Wirfs is a TR SO ... I would surmise that he might be more likely to stay for his SR year.
I always assume they’ll leave early. Stings less when they go.

I, too, think Wirfs may be more like Schreff and stay for his 4th/last year at Iowa, especially if he can become a first round draft choice, Wirfs may be 6'4"/ 6'5" range but he does seem to have long arms and that seems to be of great importance to drafting teams. Personally, I think Jackson will enter the draft next year and hopefully Kallenberger will start at LG beside Jackson for assignment development. Hoping young bucks like Duwa, Jeff Jenkins, and Cody Ince will have insight mentions in the annual late season bowl prep when the young guys are getting more reps and developmental coaching. This is often where names are tossed out about the progress of the younger guys who are standing out in practices but have not played alot of reps in a game to date.

I think Iowa has its kind of OL in spades for the next couple of years.

I, too, think Wirfs may be more like Schreff and stay for his 4th/last year at Iowa, especially if he can become a first round draft choice, Wirfs may be 6'4"/ 6'5" range but he does seem to have long arms and that seems to be of great importance to drafting teams. Personally, I think Jackson will enter the draft next year and hopefully Kallenberger will start at LG beside Jackson for assignment development. Hoping young bucks like Duwa, Jeff Jenkins, and Cody Ince will have insight mentions in the annual late season bowl prep when the young guys are getting more reps and developmental coaching. This is often where names are tossed out about the progress of the younger guys who are standing out in practices but have not played alot of reps in a game to date.

I think Iowa has its kind of OL in spades for the next couple of years.
I've stated it in multiple threads ... but if Jackson continues to develop favorably ... I could see him leaving after the '19 season. After that, like we both seem to feel ... I think that Wirfs sticks around ... but I think that the Hawks put him in at LT. At the very least, that shows pro scouts that he's versatile. That would put him as our starting LT in '20. If Kallenberger lives up to some of the hype that's been surrounding him ... I could see him being a starting OG in '19 ... then move out to RT in '20 ... then move over to LT in '21. However, that's a long ways off ... and we'll have to see how other guys like Plumb and Ezra Miller develop at OT too.

I've stated it in multiple threads ... but if Jackson continues to develop favorably ... I could see him leaving after the '19 season. After that, like we both seem to feel ... I think that Wirfs sticks around ... but I think that the Hawks put him in at LT. At the very least, that shows pro scouts that he's versatile. That would put him as our starting LT in '20. If Kallenberger lives up to some of the hype that's been surrounding him ... I could see him being a starting OG in '19 ... then move out to RT in '20 ... then move over to LT in '21. However, that's a long ways off ... and we'll have to see how other guys like Plumb and Ezra Miller develop at OT too.

Jackson may in 2019 draft but I thinking he's going to get NFL feedback on issues to work on next year and the NFL knows about his little flubs that held his out of starting the season or missing the Pinstripe Bowl. Knocks like these suggest trouble-- knocks a 2 rounder into free agent. Really think Jackson stays another year- not quite James Daniels.

Plumb looks like a guy who needs at least two years for weight/ development. Not often is the first commitment of a class an out of state OL. Jenkins must be special. Cody Ince did not wait for Wisconsin to offer - Wisky only took 1 OL commitment that year. Cody was considered top 3 recruit in his state ( Jack Plumb #4).

I think Wirfs is a better LT than Jackson, but it sounds like Jackson struggles at RT, so they keep Wirfs at RT. I don’t think Kallrnberger is a better Tackle than either of these two, but never know what the coaches will do to get the 5 best on the field. Some guys just can’t play inside.
Wirfs needs to improve his Pass Protection. Tends to get sloppy and miss assignments from time to time.

Jackson may in 2019 draft but I thinking he's going to get NFL feedback on issues to work on next year and the NFL knows about his little flubs that held his out of starting the season or missing the Pinstripe Bowl. Knocks like these suggest trouble-- knocks a 2 rounder into free agent. Really think Jackson stays another year- not quite James Daniels.

Plumb looks like a guy who needs at least two years for weight/ development. Not often is the first commitment of a class an out of state OL. Jenkins must be special. Cody Ince did not wait for Wisconsin to offer - Wisky only took 1 OL commitment that year. Cody was considered top 3 recruit in his state ( Jack Plumb #4).
After the '19 season would put Jackson in the '20 draft. It would still be after his RS JR season.

While I really like Jackson's upside ... he's still way to rough around the edges to be a day one draft pick after this season.

Outside of Daniels, how many OL have left early?
Bulaga left after his TR JR year. Reiff left after his RS JR year. Scherff was in a position to leave early if he wanted ... but instead he decided to stick around. Gallery was in a position to leave early too (if he wanted) ... but, he too, decided to stick around.

Wherever they line up, I think in 2020 Iowa puts the best Oline on the field since 2002. And recruiting has been up, so hopefully it stays there for a while. That's if everyone stays, which I think they will.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I just want the 5 best lineman, don't care who they are.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
My guesses for starting line-ups ( assuming no injuries) from Left to right:
2019: Jax, Kallenberger, Banwart, Levi, Wirfs. 2020: Kallenberger. Jenkins, Banwart, Miller, Plumb.
2021: same as above.

Obviously, starting in 2020, guys like Duwa, Ince , Kirkpatrick and the other OL recruits from this year will have something to say about it.

How good do the OL and DL look for next year?!!!! DE’s will (hopefully) be ANelson, AJE, Golston and Simon. DT will be Lattimore, Reiff, Nixon and Linderbaum.

Reactions: perryhawk
Wherever they line up, I think in 2020 Iowa puts the best Oline on the field since 2002. And recruiting has been up, so hopefully it stays there for a while. That's if everyone stays, which I think they will.
Agreed, I don't know exactly how the OL will line up but it will be awesome and the best in the KF era.

Reactions: cheerscoach
Don’t forget about Noah Shannon. Defensive line is going to be nasty for the next few years.
He's a little behind Linderbaum right now from what I've heard, but yes, Shannon has the potential to be the next 'diesel daniels' in my opinion. He's in the mold and hopefully can find that kind of motor. They nice thing is, with the depth we have, none of these guys should be 'pacing' themselves for 4 qtrs. Rev those motors and if you need a blow, take on, no biggy.

I was not expecting either Wirfs or Aleric to be here for their senior year. If they do stay - wow! Of course we will be breaking in a new QB, but all 3 RBs will be seniors. Hock and Beyer will both be senior TEs.

Lots of promise the rest of this year and the next 2 years after that on offense.

He's a little behind Linderbaum right now from what I've heard, but yes, Shannon has the potential to be the next 'diesel daniels' in my opinion. He's in the mold and hopefully can find that kind of motor. They nice thing is, with the depth we have, none of these guys should be 'pacing' themselves for 4 qtrs. Rev those motors and if you need a blow, take on, no biggy.
Nixon will be 3 years out of HS and almost 2 years in the program, I am hoping for him to be a stud starting next year.

How about this year's OL having only given up 6 sacks through 6 games, good enough for 1st in the B1G?!
Was the OL responsible for all 6 sacks? I think a running back not picking up the blitz was responsible for at least one of them. OL is doing a great job and I hope they just stay healthy and continue to improve.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Those might be the top 5 OL heading into next year, with Landan P and Duwa in the 2 deeps. Who are the next 2 or 3 young guys to make the 2 deeps? Gotta have depth.

Jeff Jenkins will be in the mix next year for PT. He’ll be an injury or 2 from a starting spot at guard. I saw him at Crystal Lake and was very impressed with his athleticism. He’s very underrated imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT