ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for problems on O Line

The tackles are young and aren't strong enough. They may or may not be better next year with another 5-10 lbs of muscle. Time will tell. A fair question may be why players who aren't physically ready to play are having to play. The bigger story to me is the ineffectiveness at guard. There are three experienced players there. Colby has played as well as any of them. The tackles get beaten off the edge in pass pro. The guards routinely get shoved back into the pocket and allow penetration on running plays.
It is a mess.
They all have a chance to compete in practice, which can get fairly intense when #2 and #3 are slugging it out to take over for sub par or injured #1...I trust the coaches are making the right choices based on what the see in practice. Still learning the ropes, hope the continue to improve.

They all have a chance to compete in practice, which can get fairly intense when #2 and #3 are slugging it out to take over for sub par or injured #1...I trust the coaches are making the right choices based on what the see in practice. Still learning the ropes, hope the continue to improve.

I don't doubt the coaches are getting the best players on the field except possibly at RT. I would let Colby start a game there. There was a recruiting gap at OT. Last two classes have been really good but no upperclassmen. These young players may be good in years to come if the coaches prepare and scheme adequately.

The more you speak, the less we have to wonder about your intellect.

......says the person who has made no contribution to the conversation and has cast aspersions upon people they don't know. I'm not offended by people like you, but if it makes you feel valued, say what you like.

Ince and Schott if not for injuries are top 20 OL'men in the B1G. Both have not played to their top form this season. Britt is another talented OL guy that would be playing at a much higher level had it not been for injuries.

Kallenberger leaving early really hurt as well. He was really playing at a high level late last year.

Richman, Colby and DeJong are just too young and too inexperienced right now. I wouldn't give up on them yet. The fact all three were forced into early action speaks to the lack of 5th and 4th year guys on the roster.

Plumb is average at best.

Reactions: speed4power
Richman, Colby and DeJong are just too young and too inexperienced right now. I wouldn't give up on them yet. The fact all three were forced into early action speaks to the lack of 5th and 4th year guys on the roster.
I’m sorry but DeJong is a third year guy - you don’t get put into the “forced into early action” convo when you’re 3 years in the program.

We shouldn’t need 4th and/or 5th year guys on the field.

Recruit bigger, more able bodies built for Div 1 football.

JFC how did this thread derail so quickly?Doyle had his opportunity to better himself and remain with the program but he ignored the advice given by the AD and his head coach. He couldn’t set aside his own ego and pride so he carved his own destiny as a result. Everything else surrounding these events are irrelevant. Doyle alone is responsible for his exit from the program. Can’t believe we’re tossing this dead cat around again, it’s pointless.

What does any of this have to do with Doyle? Regardless of whether you believe the accusations or not, having a big group of former and and a few current players call him out means he was a cancer. He had to go. Ferentz didn't hesitate to send him packing. Move on.

If you want to identify issues with coaching the most obvious potential problem affecting today's oline play is the departure of Polasek who was actually responsible for coaching that group. Maybe we should be looking at the current oline coach for some answers.

JFC how did this thread derail so quickly?Doyle had his opportunity to better himself and remain with the program but he ignored the advice given by the AD and his head coach. He couldn’t set aside his own ego and pride so he carved his own destiny as a result. Everything else surrounding these events are irrelevant. Doyle alone is responsible for his exit from the program. Can’t believe we’re tossing this dead cat around again, it’s pointless.

For the record, Cincy was the one that derailed the thread saying they can't recruit o linemen due to the racial abuse/insensitivity during the Doyle era.

Reactions: sellarsd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT