ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for problems on O Line

speed4power

HR All-State
Aug 17, 2017
It looks like a combination of attrition and a poor recruiting year in 2018 are the reasons for our problems on the O line this year. From the 2017 class, we lost Kallenberger unexpectedly and with little warning. Wirfs left early for the NFL. 2018 was a weak year for recruiting OTs for us. Ezra Miller from the 2019 class left. So our top OT recruits from 2017 and 2019 left early and in 2018 we didn’t bring in any highly ranked O linemen.

Polasek, our O line coach, left for Wyoming. Which maybe be why nobody was picked up from the transfer portal to fill the holes.

Reactions: amahawk
There is an alarming dearth of 3rd - 5th year bodies on the OL. It’s why I’m not optimistic about the remainder of the season, and unless a few guys REALLY step up their play in the last 5 games, why I’m already setting low expectations for next season.

There’s a very real possibility that Connor Colby is our best returning OL in 2022. That’s terrifying.

Feel bad for Britt too who I think could have been much further along by now if he hadn’t been so hampered with injuries, but glad to see he’s still at it. I think he still has a good ceiling.

Well, over twenty former players thought so. Is that not proof? That being said, I would guess Doyle was more racial insensitive than racially motivated. The guy’s a prick.
Woody Hayes, Bo Schembeckler, ,Mark Dantonio, Nick Sabin, Barry Alverez, Urban Meyers, Lou Holtz, et. al. were not pricks I suppose...

No. That is not proof. I can find thousands of cyclones who believe all sorts of delusional things about their football program. It doesn't make it true.
Dozens of players statments affirming the existence of racial insensitivty is most definitely evidence. Whether or not it is sufficient proof of a legal violation is for a jury to decide.

If this is already posted elsewhere on the forum please disregard.
A breakdown on Purdue defense against Iowa.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2021...-football-pass-rush-found-karlaftis-deen-iowa

Purdue Football: Pass Rush Found!
By Drew Schneider Oct 21, 2021, 2:59pm EDT
A small adjustment paid big dividends for the Purdue defense last Saturday. Look for it again this week

"...I appreciate the trap they set for the Hawkeyes in coverage. The quarterback saw it, and was forced to eat the ball, but that’s part of generating more sacks. Take away what the offense wants to do, make the quarterback move from his first read, and hope the pass rush gets to him before he can find his second read..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Dozens of players statments affirming the existence of racial insensitivty is most definitely evidence. Whether or not it is sufficient proof of a legal violation is for a jury to decide.

What about the hundreds who haven't piled on, or the many who have credited Doyle specifically for their success? Perhaps there's an abundance of soft boys who aren't able to handle being held accountable? There's damn sure an abundance of evidence of that with those generations.

What about the hundreds who haven't piled on, or the many who have credited Doyle specifically for their success? Perhaps there's an abundance of soft boys who aren't able to handle being held accountable? There's damn sure an abundance of evidence of that with those generations.
What about them? Just because Doyle wasn’t out of line to all, doesn’t mean he was never out of line.

What about them? Just because Doyle wasn’t out of line to all, doesn’t mean he was never out of line.

Out of line is a far cry from being racist. If he was truly racist, wouldn't he have treated every black player poorly? I've read the accounts of so-called racist treatment and each of them sound like a whiny kid who just didn't like getting his ass chewed, or didn't like someone who was constantly on their ass, making comments that could easily be spun to create a narrative in their favor.

Last edited:
Being a dick to your talent in the weight room because of color and cultural differences will kill your recruiting pretty quickly.

So you can't have an effective O line unless you bring in A/A kids from the inner city? You should notify Wisconsin. I can't remember them having a non-white starter on their O line. What has Wirfs said about Doyle and the culture in the program?

Or the ones who praised him for getting them to the next level before jumping on the SJW train post George Floyd.

Kirk can't even handle being held accountable for how shitty his offenses are, why expect more from the players? The program has been better without Doyle so far, not bad for a bunch of zero accountability wokesters as many on this board were calling them after the 0-2 start last year. Sounds like the team got rid of part of the problem with Doyle, other part got a raise and is still the OC. Baby steps I guess

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
I'll send you back to the streets.

Doyle: 'Maybe you should take up Rowing or something you know? Oh wait, Black people don't like boats in water do they??"

Just toxic as hell.
were you in the room to hear this? I didn't think so a-hole. Just keep throwing crap out there.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Being a dick to your talent in the weight room because of color and cultural differences will kill your recruiting pretty quickly.
I don't think this has much relavance in the current situation. There's been one recruiting class since that story broke and it was one of the strongest classes Iowa has had in years perhaps the strongest in the past decade, particularly on the offensive line. The attrition on the o line has been exclusively white players(please correct me if I'm wrong).
I don't think the racial disparity issue has been particularly influential in the o line play.

The problem is it was feast or famine for recruiting in 2017-18. They hit 2 grand slams with Wirfs and Linderbaum and then a bunch of misses.

This is the overall problem I have with our OL. We have 1-2 really good or great players and then 1-2 guys who aren’t ready yet or just aren’t good. As a result you get an average OL. We should be able to recruit and develop better OL’s than we put on the field with our track record of getting guys into the NFL.

Terminology created to justify whining and complaining. Boo hoo.

I bet Chris Doyle never yelled at any Caucasian players……….
It is uncertain whether Doyle's conduct rose to the level of legal liability. I personally thiink that the case filed by the players who joined in the suit appears to be weak. The strength of their claims will be determined at trial if the matter is not settled. In any event, the large number of former players who came forward very strongly indicates that there was a problem. Kirk Ferentz has acknowledged this and has essentially apologized. If you chose to be willfully ignorant that's your problem.

In any event, the large number of former players who came forward very strongly indicates that there was a problem. Kirk Ferentz has acknowledged this and has essentially apologized. If you chose to be willfully ignorant that's your problem.
1) they were all trying to take advantage of the social climate of “wokeness” because they’re disgruntled

2) Also a product of the climate - people bullied into doing or saying things because, if not, Kirk would have been labeled any number of negative things by the ‘cancel culture’

You aren’t even able to support the United States of America without being bullied into apologizing..see Drew Brees.. among others. SAD.

1) they were all trying to take advantage of the social climate of “wokeness” because they’re disgruntled

2) Also a product of the climate - people bullied into doing or saying things because, if not, Kirk would have been labeled any number of negative things by the ‘cancel culture’

You aren’t even able to support the United States of America without being bullied into apologizing..see Drew Brees.. among others. SAD.
You opinion of Kirk Ferentz is different than mine. You describe a weak person with little personal integrity who can be pressured into acting in a manner opposite of his character. I believe his public statements were candid, not coerced, and the effort he undertook to reach out to former players was genuine, not forced.

Acknowledging problems or mistakes is a sign of a strong leader and the way he has handled the matter so far reinforces my opinion that the football program is under strong leadership.

Last edited:
Which is why the OL has sucked for 20 years?
It hasn't sucked for 20 years. It is bad this year.

There are several years where Iowa had the best overall line in FBS, multiple Outland Trophy winners, etc. Those are facts. They occured.

The lack of depth has a lot to do with people leaving early, and some of that has to do with Doyle's behavior. When Akrum Wadley is saying things like going to Iowa was the worst decision he's ever made, and James Daniels is not listing Iowa but instead his high school because of the way minority players were treated - that's going to hurt recruiting.

The royal "we" just found out about this last year. It was going on long before that. Rumors like that spread from players to former coaches in HS and from there to recruits - before the general public hears about them. Of all the suicidal things to do in athletics, being remotely racist towards poc is probably #4 on the list, behind hiring them prostitutes during recruitment, paying them or their families in goods/money/jobs, and sexually assaulting them. You don't want racism to be tied to your athletic department when half or more of the players you need are poc. You don't want the *rumor* of racism anywhere near your program.

Iowa did the right thing and got rid of the person who was present in most of the allegations, didn'tshy away or try to cover them up and met the problem head-on, despite how important Doyle was to this program.

Kirk did the right things by talking to his players and making it clear that racism was unacceptable. And I think it was absolutely genuine. Kirk Ferentz is not a racist.

I think it's an unfortunate blip on the radar. If they win enough this year, it will be an example of how you handle things like that as an organization and survive and thrive in the future, instead of a tale of cover-ups and payoffs and lack of institutional control.

But those rumors are going to have an effect somewhere. And we are seeing it in the depth chart. Actions have consequences. Correcting the effects is a process, and it takes time.

One person is he-said-she-said. 50+? No way.

I suppose it's possible the current OLine improves exponentially before next season, but the outlook for next season doesn't appear real bright.

That highly rated recruiting class from last year needs to contribute sooner than later. Especially the tackles.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
The problem is it was feast or famine for recruiting in 2017-18. They hit 2 grand slams with Wirfs and Linderbaum and then a bunch of misses.

This is the overall problem I have with our OL. We have 1-2 really good or great players and then 1-2 guys who aren’t ready yet or just aren’t good. As a result you get an average OL. We should be able to recruit and develop better OL’s than we put on the field with our track record of getting guys into the NFL.
Unfortunately, it’s not something that is going to be a quick fix. The 2007 OL had some really, really good players, but all of them except Seth Olsen (RS Jr.) were in their first three years in the program and it showed.

If Linderbaum goes pro (please baby Football Jesus make him come back) then the returning OL with experience are:

Richman
Britt
Colby
DeJong
Ince
Plumb

A lot would have to go right for that group to improve enough for it to be a “typical” Iowa OL.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It hasn't sucked for 20 years. It is bad this year.

There are several years where Iowa had the best overall line in FBS, multiple Outland Trophy winners, etc. Those are facts. They occured.

The lack of depth has a lot to do with people leaving early, and some of that has to do with Doyle's behavior. When Akrum Wadley is saying things like going to Iowa was the worst decision he's ever made, and James Daniels is not listing Iowa but instead his high school because of the way minority players were treated - that's going to hurt recruiting.

The royal "we" just found out about this last year. It was going on long before that. Rumors like that spread from players to former coaches in HS and from there to recruits - before the general public hears about them. Of all the suicidal things to do in athletics, being remotely racist towards poc is probably #4 on the list, behind hiring them prostitutes during recruitment, paying them or their families in goods/money/jobs, and sexually assaulting them. You don't want racism to be tied to your athletic department when half or more of the players you need are poc. You don't want the *rumor* of racism anywhere near your program.

Iowa did the right thing and got rid of the person who was present in most of the allegations, didn'tshy away or try to cover them up and met the problem head-on, despite how important Doyle was to this program.

Kirk did the right things by talking to his players and making it clear that racism was unacceptable. And I think it was absolutely genuine. Kirk Ferentz is not a racist.

I think it's an unfortunate blip on the radar. If they win enough this year, it will be an example of how you handle things like that as an organization and survive and thrive in the future, instead of a tale of cover-ups and payoffs and lack of institutional control.

But those rumors are going to have an effect somewhere. And we are seeing it in the depth chart. Actions have consequences. Correcting the effects is a process, and it takes time.

One person is he-said-she-said. 50+? No way.
James Daniels saying his high school has nothing to do with Iowa

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT