ADVERTISEMENT

Oct 31, 2022: Fran brings up putting Students behind the Benches (Beth wants students around the court). Future Renovation of Carver-Hawkeye Arena?

I was at the game yesterday. The arena is really nice. Assuming NW remains good under Collins it'll be a formidable away venue. 95% of the noise came from the students. But the moment they are 3-10 in league play it'll go back to the old days. In smaller venues it works to have students behind the buckets. I'd prefer something more like Breslin where one side of the court is students spanning the length of the floor.

it will be interesting to see if Fran gets his wish and gets the students behind the benches

I can't see it happening this year, hasn't season ticket holders already been assigned their seats for this coming year.
If there had been or was secret talks about reseating wouldn't there have already been some grumblings from long time season ticket holders from the areas behind the benches? Has anyone heard anything from long time seat holders complaining about being moved? We'll see, but it sounds like just smoke to me with no flames....but I'm in the majority that wishes it could be done!

I can't see it happening this year, hasn't season ticket holders already been assigned their seats for this coming year.
If there had been or was secret talks about reseating wouldn't there have already been some grumblings from long time season ticket holders from the areas behind the benches? Has anyone heard anything from long time seat holders complaining about being moved? We'll see, but it sounds like just smoke to me with no flames....but I'm in the majority that wishes it could be done!

it's not happening this year; it's part of the discussions on what CHA will look like after a renovation and where people (students, donors) will be seated

And how did free pizza and free cookies work out?

The void that was the Hawk's Nest on Sunday was disheartening, to say the absolute least. Although it is an apt nickname for the student section, as hawk's nests are high up in a tree and secluded from the surrounding terrain. If I was a UI student I wouldn't bother showing up either. Most of those seats are straight up not good.

Reactions: Andrew Houk
The void that was the Hawk's Nest on Sunday was disheartening, to say the absolute least. Although it is an apt nickname for the student section, as hawk's nests are high up in a tree and secluded from the surrounding terrain. If I was a UI student I wouldn't bother showing up either. Most of those seats are straight up not good.

I would pay good money to have half of the home court environment that Iowa State has.

Reactions: Andrew Houk

Attendance (tickets distributed): 10,000
Capacity: 15,056

How many of the 10,000 actually showed up?

I sit on the other end, and can generally see just fine and feel about as close to the action as when I sit toward halfcourt for women's games. I'm not sure putting the students on the sides does much for improving the atmosphere. You still have a pretty large gap, and then the benches or the high dollar seats.

It seems to me it's more about the product on the floor, and having an approachable, likable coach and team you want to root for. Coaches like Kirk, Bluder and Brands seem to get what it means to have the Iowa mentality and have embraced it. It's never seemed natural for Fran.

Also, it was the Sunday before finals. A getting around on Campus by bus is a pain on Sundays.

CHA seats 15,056.

For Michigan, the previous home game, there were 10,000 tickets distributed (announced attendance).

Here's a pic from last night's UMBC game during pregame introductions. Tickets distributed (announced attendance) was 8,357. I don't think all 8,357 showed up.

GB1VktyXgAAZh9z

• Sad
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
As has been said over and over.... It isn't a placement problem for the students.

CHA is ROCKING for Caitlin and the women.

Fran...or the next coach, just needs to find a generational talent and the place will be rocking ;).

no-big-deal-dont-care.gif

Honestly... I think we are at the point of needing a coaching change to breathe life into the men's attendance. Even when we are at Fran's peak teams (making the NCAA). Everyone has PTSD from the March failures during his tenure and it's tough to get excited.

The REPEATED issues with defense and "team grit"... Make it hard to get excited.

I sit on the other end, and can generally see just fine and feel about as close to the action as when I sit toward halfcourt for women's games. I'm not sure putting the students on the sides does much for improving the atmosphere. You still have a pretty large gap, and then the benches or the high dollar seats.

It seems to me it's more about the product on the floor, and having an approachable, likable coach and team you want to root for. Coaches like Kirk, Bluder and Brands seem to get what it means to have the Iowa mentality and have embraced it. It's never seemed natural for Fran.

Also, it was the Sunday before finals. A getting around on Campus by bus is a pain on Sundays.
Actually if you really want to improve the student atmosphere, then what they should do is make the absolute worst decision ever and put the student section right behind the opposing team's bench.

Just go full on "Kinnick Stadium the fans are right on top of you" with it, and line all those surly little sh**s right behind Tom Izzo and Fred Hoiberg and Brad Underwood and see how that goes over.....................:)

My wife said the student section was empty and wondered why the don’t make those tickets available when the students are on break. They didn’t show up for the K State game either and break wasn’t an issue then. Students just don’t care.

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
Full house, great atmosphere for yesterday's #4 Iowa vs Minnesota WBB game, with Iowa winning 94-71. As you will read below, Lisa Bluder was blown away by the crowd.

There's always a full house and great atmosphere for men's wrestling.

Unfortunately, CHA is half to two-thirds full with an average to poor atmosphere for men's basketball.

3 programs, all competing in Carver Hawkeye Arena. A renovation is coming; but how do you get the fans to not only attend MBB games but create that great atmosphere that we see for WBB and men's wrestling?

From yesterday's Iowa vs Minnesota WBB game. Check this out & watch:

Last edited:
. A renovation is coming; but how do you get the fans to not only attend MBB games but create that great atmosphere that we see for WBB and men's wrestling?
Easy answer. Don't play your kids over better players, and don't act like Bobby Knight on the sidelines if you aren't making deep NCAA tourney runs. Apathy is so high towards Fran there's no coming back without a super star player.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
Easy answer. Don't play your kids over better players, and don't act like Bobby Knight on the sidelines if you aren't making deep NCAA tourney runs. Apathy is so high towards Fran there's no coming back without a super star player.
That's BS. Iowa has had 4 of them in the last 5 years, although one of those years no one was allowed to attend because of Covid.
I wish I had the answer to get fans in the stands to back the men's basketball program like the other 2, but it is what it is.

Have they ever sent out surveys or questionnaires to season ticket holders or students? Besides a reno, or just making random guesses I feel the best thing they can do is just literally ask the fan base what they want to see and what changes can be made.

That's BS. Iowa has had 4 of them in the last 5 years, although one of those years no one was allowed to attend because of Covid.
I wish I had the answer to get fans in the stands to back the men's basketball program like the other 2, but it is what it is.
Ya I should've just said there's no coming back. Fran burned the fan base with his insistence on running his kids out there ahead of better players. His tantrums have been the finishing touch.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
Maryland is having issues, too.

Less than 8 minutes before tipoff tonight against #1 Purdue:

GC4CUC3XQAA6YSx

Still lots of red with 11:11 remaining in the first half.

GC4JzwgXEAA2AQV

Source:

It’s nearly every where for non ranked schools. Inflation keeps being above normal yet companies are still offering pre 2020 raises. Hopefully arena attendance will return to normal when economy is on another boom.

Attendance at carver today was decent considering the struggle men’s have been having.

Impossible. I was led to believe by some folks on this board that this is only an issue at Carver.

Maryland's basketball arena has students filling the first 10 rows that ring the arena floor and a majority of seats on the arena's west wall.

The arena also has 20 suites and is just 21 years old.

From the University of Maryland's web site:

Name:............XFINITY Center
Capacity:.......17,950
First Game:....Nov. 11, 2002

Number of Suites: 20
Student Section Size: 4,000

Students fill the first 10 rows that ring the arena floor and a majority of seats on the arena's west wall - which at an intimidating 35-degree incline provides the Terrapins' with a unique home court advantage.

See more here:

It’s nearly every where for non ranked schools. Inflation keeps being above normal yet companies are still offering pre 2020 raises. Hopefully arena attendance will return to normal when economy is on another boom.

Attendance at carver today was decent considering the struggle men’s have been having.

8 of Iowa's 10 conference home games are on the WEEKEND this season. I was hoping this would help attendance. CHA seats 15,056.

The numbers so far:

Weekend Conference Home Games:

Fri Jan 12, Nebraska
Fri Feb 2, Ohio State

Sat Jan 6, Rutgers.............Attendance (tickets distributed): 9,273
Sat Jan 20, Purdue
Sat Feb 17, Wisconsin

Sun Dec 10, Michigan.......Attendance (tickets distributed): 10,000
Sun Feb 11, Minnesota
Sun March 10, Illinois

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT