ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official '19-'20 EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. Thread*****

Iwobi to Everton for £35-£40 mil at the last second of the transfer window!

Addition by subtraction.

Brilliant!

Gabriel Martinelli £5M
William Saliba £27M
Dani Ceballos - Loan
Nicolas Pepe £14.4M (x 5 years)
Kieran Tierney £25M
David Luiz £8M
TOTAL = £79.4...call it £80M

Alex Iwobi £40M
Koscielny £5M.
Bielek £10M
Jenko £3M
Dom Thompson £2M
Italian kid sell-on clause £4M
TOTAL = £64M

Net Spend = £16M

We allegedly had £40M to spend.

Kroenke’s win again!

Reactions: seminoleed
Strap yourselves in everyone - VAR is coming to the Premier League. It has already provided many a controversial moment, and this season will likely be no different.

Premier League clubs voted to introduce VAR from the start of 2019/20 last November with goals, penalties, red cards and cases of mistaken identity taken on by the technology.

Each referee will be supported by a team of VAR assistants at Stockley Park, the Premier League match officials' base, who will advise them on those situations, but they will also be able to review decisions through a television screen on the touchline.

Referees will also be able to make players return to the pitch even if they have already blown the half-time or full-time whistle, if they use the VAR review monitor to overturn a decision made before the half had ended.

To aid communication within stadiums, graphics will also be displayed to explain when a decision is being reviewed - and as appropriate and where possible, the Premier League has announced video clips will be shown on screens to explain the reasons behind a decision being made too.

It's not just VAR that is changing the game, there are a number of other rule changes taking effect this season:

Handball - If a player deliberately touches the ball they are penalised, but a foul will also be given if they create a chance or score a goal from an accidental handball. Any incident where a player's arms have been raised above shoulder-height is also likely to be given, or if they have made their body 'unnaturally' bigger.

However, if the ball hits a player's hand or arm from close-range, their arm is close to the body or used to support their body while falling will usually not be punished.

Substitutions - Players must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons.

Goal kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

Yellows and reds - If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

Dropped balls - If a dropped ball is given inside either penalty area, it is dropped for the defending team's goalkeeper when play restarts.

For dropped balls outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped for a player on whichever team last touched the ball. All other players must remain at least 4.5 yards away from the ball until play restarts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/11770480/whats-new-for-the-201920-premier-league-season-rules-teams-players-and-more

Strap yourselves in everyone - VAR is coming to the Premier League. It has already provided many a controversial moment, and this season will likely be no different.

Premier League clubs voted to introduce VAR from the start of 2019/20 last November with goals, penalties, red cards and cases of mistaken identity taken on by the technology.

Each referee will be supported by a team of VAR assistants at Stockley Park, the Premier League match officials' base, who will advise them on those situations, but they will also be able to review decisions through a television screen on the touchline.

Referees will also be able to make players return to the pitch even if they have already blown the half-time or full-time whistle, if they use the VAR review monitor to overturn a decision made before the half had ended.

To aid communication within stadiums, graphics will also be displayed to explain when a decision is being reviewed - and as appropriate and where possible, the Premier League has announced video clips will be shown on screens to explain the reasons behind a decision being made too.

It's not just VAR that is changing the game, there are a number of other rule changes taking effect this season:

Handball - If a player deliberately touches the ball they are penalised, but a foul will also be given if they create a chance or score a goal from an accidental handball. Any incident where a player's arms have been raised above shoulder-height is also likely to be given, or if they have made their body 'unnaturally' bigger.

However, if the ball hits a player's hand or arm from close-range, their arm is close to the body or used to support their body while falling will usually not be punished.

Substitutions - Players must leave the pitch by the nearest point on the touchline unless the referee allows them to leave on the half-way line for safety or injury reasons.

Goal kicks - The ball is in play from the moment it is kicked and moves. Opposition players still in the area because they have not had time to leave are permitted, and can intercept the goal kick.

Yellows and reds - If the attacking team wishes and the referee has not started to issue the card, they can take a quick free-kick at this point so long as it creates a goalscoring opportunity. The referee will then issue the card when the ball next goes out of play.

However, if the referee was about to send off the player who has given away the foul for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, they will only receive a yellow card if the attacking team takes the quick free-kick.

Dropped balls - If a dropped ball is given inside either penalty area, it is dropped for the defending team's goalkeeper when play restarts.

For dropped balls outside the penalty area, the ball is dropped for a player on whichever team last touched the ball. All other players must remain at least 4.5 yards away from the ball until play restarts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11661/11770480/whats-new-for-the-201920-premier-league-season-rules-teams-players-and-more
I’m a fan of VAR. Far more helpful than not.

Having young kids, I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am with the new goal kick law.

On transfers, Coutinho and Dybala never really fit with how the club is generally run under Poch. Adding the midfielders they did still points to Eriksen moving to Spain and I'd be happy about that rather than seeing him go somewhere else in England. Overall, not bad, but not much help or depth on the back line. Arsenal got better, but I still can't really see Chelsea or Man United being a serious threat at the top 4.

Looking at the order of matches, almost all of the toughest away matches are in the first half, starting with City, Arsenal and Leicester right out of the gate with Liverpool, Everton, West Ham, United and Wolves all coming before Christmas as well. So I wont at all be surprised or all that upset if several losses have mounted and we seem well off the pace for a while. At the same time, if we're even in the top 4 at that point, I'll be delighted.

Reactions: Dorrman
Kinda disappointed B'mouth-Sheffield is the featured game this morning. Would rather watch Palace-Everton or even Watford-Brighton.

I Love Football,Basketball,Golf,Baseball and Dirt track racing. But I despise Soccer and Tennis. Just sayin!

Further mixed emotions today on Eriksen. He was the real difference maker today. It still doesnt seem Madrid is all that interested in throwing down all that extra money if he might be available on a free next year. It's hard to say where this saga might end by Aug 31.

Kinda strange not to start Pepe. I get he's new to the club but why not throw him out there just to see how he fits in. It's not a huge risk, especially against a team like Newcastle.

Happy Christian Pulisic Day, everyone!

Chelsea vs Manchester United 11:30 NBCSN

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3910275/chelseas-christian-pulisic-is-not-your-wonderboy-anymore

Further mixed emotions today on Eriksen. He was the real difference maker today. It still doesnt seem Madrid is all that interested in throwing down all that extra money if he might be available on a free next year. It's hard to say where this saga might end by Aug 31.

I don’t care which club he’s at as long as it makes him the best he can be for Denmark, my European club.

Chelsea-Liverpool in UEFA Super Cup. Pulisic had a nice goal waived off (half step offside). He previously had the assist on the only goal. Chelsea leads 1-0. Possession and shots are almost identical. Chelsea looked much better the last 15-20 minutes of the first half.

Safe to say Pulisic will be first choice most of this season after today. Huge improvement with him in the lineup:

Champions League qualifying this week saw Jesus Corona and Porto knocked out. To my recollection that leaves only Edson Alvarez as the only Mexican regular currently on a Champions League side (assuming Ajax find their way past APOEL). The US has Tyler Adams (Red Bull Leipzig), Tim Weah (Lille), Pulisic (Chelsea) in to the group stage, and still potentially Ethan Horvath (Brugge, albeit seemingly behind Simon Mingolet).

Celtic lost at home to Cluj from Romania, which pretty much washes the Tierney transfer. I always liked seeing Celtic Park welcome the big boys of Europe.

Catchy new Alex Lacazette song, to the tune of Spirit in the Sky...

He's our Frenchman...he's our number 9,
Plays for Arsenal...red and white,
Scoring goals is what he does best,
And he goes by the name of Lacazette!

Last week they looked rusty; this week, they looked rather sluggish. But, I'm still waiting for that Arsenal explosion that screams, "We're REALLY back", but until then, I'll take 3 points every weekend.

COYG!

You a West Ham fan? I respect that choice. Not a typical bandwagon for an American (Sorry, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, and Chelsea fans). I am Fulham, so while last season was disappointing, I’ll get to see them a lot more on ESPN+ this year.

Ya I am. Not easy to watch games but since the premier league pass by NBC sports became available it's a lot better. Even harder for you with Fulham but I'm glad ESPN+ added some championship matches. I think they'll do well this season. Good shot at getting promoted back to the PL.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Plenty of good fortune for Spurs to get a point, they didn't earn it in terms of the run of play, but it's the kind of break that can define where the season goes. As noted earlier, if we're even in the conversation come Christmas, we'll get all the big games at home on the back end.

Plenty of good fortune for Spurs to get a point, they didn't earn it in terms of the run of play, but it's the kind of break that can define where the season goes. As noted earlier, if we're even in the conversation come Christmas, we'll get all the big games at home on the back end.

This season is ABC for me: Anyone but City. No Man U either.

BTW, saw a City shirt and a Tottenham one at the downtown farmers market in CR today.

Reactions: BeepBeepInMyJeep
This season is ABC for me: Anyone but City. No Man U either.

BTW, saw a City shirt and a Tottenham one at the downtown farmers market in CR today.

Donnelly's was pretty packed for the UCL final with Spurs. In CR, I'm hoping we can someday at least get a League Two or League One team if Des Moines jumps to the Championship.

Donnelly's was pretty packed for the UCL final with Spurs. In CR, I'm hoping we can someday at least get a League Two or League One team if Des Moines jumps to the Championship.

Agreed. Though I’m still just happy to have a UPSL club step in since Rampage United left, and in a new stadium to boot.

I think USL League One would be good for Des Moines. Local rivals with Omaha and Madison. I don't think CR has the market size, but a pro soccer team in eastern Iowa would be a dream

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT