ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official #38 RPI IOWA at #127 RPI Indiana Games Thread (All 3 games are on BTN PLUS)*****

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa is 14-3 over its last 17 games; from 4-8 to 18-11.

The 3 Game Series:

Friday April 30

4:00 PM CT
Streaming: BTN PLUS

Saturday May 1
1:00 PM CT

Sunday May 2
11:00 AM CT

Current Standings (thanks @Alum-Ni ):
1. Nebraska (20-7)
2. Michigan (19-9)
3. Indiana (18-8)
4. Iowa (18-11)

5. Maryland (16-13)
6. Ohio State (15-13)
7. Rutgers (14-13)
8. Illinois (13-14)
9. Northwestern (12-16)
10. Michigan State (12-17)
11. Purdue (10-18)
12. Penn State (9-18)
13. Minnesota (4-23)

Games for Friday, April 30
Michigan at Northwestern
Iowa at Indiana
Rutgers at Nebraska
Purdue at Ohio State
Michigan State at Penn State
Minnesota at Maryland

@KyleHuesmann , we look forward to your series preview!

Let's do this!!!

GO HAWKS!!!

Ez8r3rPUYAARL4Z

Ez8r3sqUUAEjVnt

Ez8r3p0VcAItGFp

Last edited:
Indiana’s pitching as a whole is probably the best in the conference. They give you any free bases, you better take advantage. Overall this season teams have a .183 average against IU. They have a 2.64 ERA and 1.13 WHIP.

Indiana’s pitching as a whole is probably the best in the conference. They give you any free bases, you better take advantage. Overall this season teams have a .183 average against IU. They have a 2.64 ERA and 1.13 WHIP.
Yikes, almost unheard of pitching numbers in college baseball. Eat your Wheaties boys and take the series! Will RPI increase even in a loss scenario?

Interesting pitching numbers. Quite impressive. They have not played Michigan or Nebraska yet. Lots of games against the bottom 4 teams in the league. They did get swept by Ohio State. They still have series with Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, OSU, Maryland, so they are going to line up some more losses.

Yikes, almost unheard of pitching numbers in college baseball. Eat your Wheaties boys and take the series! Will RPI increase even in a loss scenario?
Doesn’t sound like it reading posts in another thread. Indiana has played a very poor schedule to this point, so they have a fairly poor RPI.
That said, Indiana’s RPI will look better after the next few series if they don’t get slaughtered.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

April 27, 2021
B1G RPI Rankings

Rank...Previous
............Rank

4041IowaBig Ten18-116-35-57-30-0
4648NebraskaBig Ten20-79-35-36-10-0
5253Ohio St.Big Ten15-132-75-38-30-0
7575MarylandBig Ten16-135-53-58-30-0
8991MichiganBig Ten19-96-28-25-50-0
111111RutgersBig Ten14-139-61-14-60-0
125123IndianaBig Ten18-86-61-111-10-0
163164PurdueBig Ten10-184-34-82-70-0
172170Penn St.Big Ten9-184-83-32-70-0
191189IllinoisBig Ten13-147-42-44-60-0
210210NorthwesternBig Ten12-164-66-62-40-0
233229Michigan St.Big Ten12-173-45-74-60-0
272270MinnesotaBig Ten4-230-100-04-130-0

April 27, 2021
B1G RPI Rankings

Rank...Previous
............Rank

4041IowaBig Ten18-116-35-57-30-0
4648NebraskaBig Ten20-79-35-36-10-0
5253Ohio St.Big Ten15-132-75-38-30-0
7575MarylandBig Ten16-135-53-58-30-0
8991MichiganBig Ten19-96-28-25-50-0
111111RutgersBig Ten14-139-61-14-60-0
125123IndianaBig Ten18-86-61-111-10-0
163164PurdueBig Ten10-184-34-82-70-0
172170Penn St.Big Ten9-184-83-32-70-0
191189IllinoisBig Ten13-147-42-44-60-0
210210NorthwesternBig Ten12-164-66-62-40-0
233229Michigan St.Big Ten12-173-45-74-60-0
272270MinnesotaBig Ten4-230-100-04-130-0
Thanks for this! Wow, #2 in B10 however 125 RPI? Unbalanced schedules as you mentioned. Side question, when was last time Iowa was in super regionals?

@BigOHawk @Birky

A win probably gains Iowa 35ish RPI points, a loss and they’ll lose 45ish points? Just a rough guess on my part right now. Then of course indirect games have an impact as well, how teams Iowa played does.

Last time for regionals, I don’t believe Iowa has ever made a super regional. The one (and only) time Iowa made the CWS, the set up for the tournament was completely different.
TD Ameritrade was absolutely rocking during the tournament title game vs osu that year. Let's go hawks and i..o..w..a was a beautiful thing. I'd say 8000 hawk fans that day huge walk up crowd overwhelmed the staff there.

TD Ameritrade was absolutely rocking during the tournament title game vs osu that year. Let's go hawks and i..o..w..a was a beautiful thing. I'd say 8000 hawk fans that day huge walk up crowd overwhelmed the staff there.

I had all session passes as always, so I got right in :)

Also, not to be specific or anything but Iowa didn’t make regionals during that tournament. It was 2016, and they lose to OSU. Had to win to make it. They won the 2017 tournament in Bloomington against Northwestern.

Thanks for this! Wow, #2 in B10 however 125 RPI? Unbalanced schedules as you mentioned. Side question, when was last time Iowa was in super regionals?
2017, i believe
Last time for regionals, I don’t believe Iowa has ever made a super regional. The one (and only) time Iowa made the CWS, the set up for the tournament was completely different.

Take a look at this site. 1972 was Iowa's only CWS appearance. After that, in 4 NCAA Tournament appearances (1975, 1990, 2015, 2017), they never advanced past the regional. So, I guess, technically, the last time Iowa was in the equivalent of a super regional was 1972 (49 years ago).

It's crazy, too, that there was a 25 year gap (1990-2015) between NCAA Tournament appearances. .

Last edited:
Take a look at this site. 1972 was Iowa's only CWS appearance. After that, in 4 NCAA Tournament appearances, they never advanced past the regional.

It's crazy, too, that there was a 25 year gap (1990-2015) between NCAA Tournament appearances. .

Up until the last 10-11 years or so the conference was regarded as a mid major. Very poor RPIs all around, six team conference tournament, archaic four game conference series, and so on.

I would imagine facilities are no where close to the ACC and SEC

They are definitely better, Iowa needs to renovate Banks. They have a blueprint, but Covid ruined any realistic chance of that unless a private donor would fund it all. Since Heller, they’ve definitely upgraded the field and some facilities. Some of the their schools in the conference have the luxury of sharing with a minor league team, while others are much worse off and don’t even have lights.

They are definitely better, Iowa needs to renovate Banks. They have a blueprint, but Covid ruined any realistic chance of that unless a private donor would fund it all. Since Heller, they’ve definitely upgraded the field and some facilities. Some of the their schools in the conference have the luxury of sharing with a minor league team, while others are much worse off and don’t even have lights.

On April 26, it was announced that the University of Louisville baseball team will add a new $12 M practice facility on campus thanks in part to a Kroger donation of 3 million dollars.

The plan is to break ground on their new indoor facility after the end of the 2022 season.

Ez6gCC5WYAkTna2

Ez6gCDCX0AQOsFj

Ez6gCEdXsAEqq9U

i8FbhL1H

On April 26, it was announced that the University of Louisville baseball team will add a new $12 M practice facility on campus thanks in part to a Kroger donation of 3 million dollars.

The plan is to break ground on their new indoor facility after the end of the 2022 season.

Ez6gCC5WYAkTna2

Ez6gCDCX0AQOsFj

Ez6gCEdXsAEqq9U

i8FbhL1H

All it takes is that one magical year or two to make things like this reality. Perspective is this, Louisville’s first CWS was in 2007 in their second NCAA tournament appearance ever. The rest is gravy after that, especially in the last ten years.

Just hope Rutgers and jNW don’t roll over for kNebby and Michigan.

Rutgers already took the Michigan series, they will be a tough out for Nebraska. It’s actually quite surprising how close Iowa was to a four game sweep over Rutgers. Northwestern has already beat Michigan once this year. They wont lay down for anybody, but their pitching as Iowa saw is a huge question mark. I could see NW stealing a crazy 12-10 type game vs Nebraska if both teams get into their bullpen....

but Iowa and Nebraska are married to each other at this point. If they both keep winning not only does their RPI approve, but they gain indirect points for one another.

Also, not to be specific or anything but Iowa didn’t make regionals during that tournament. It was 2016, and they lose to OSU. Had to win to make it. They won the 2017 tournament in Bloomington against Northwestern.
Gotcha, it's all a blur five years ago! I remember saying I'm not going to miss this game being in Omaha, even if I have to go by myself! Was a beautiful day and as Iowa rallied late in game, just crazy noise in the concourse and I really couldn't believe it. Never, ever heard that much noise at an Iowa baseball game, gave me chills. Someday we'll get to see Heller and the boys at the CWS and it will be black and gold everywhere in Omaha!

Great writeup! Looking forward to the series, somehow taking 2/3 in this series would help cement our regional positioning. Most outlets have us firmly in the field as of right now and not in 'last four out.' Btw, the projected Lincoln regional looks brutal with Nebraska/TX Tech/UCLA/Wright State in that pod. Wright State at a 4 seed is Top 15 RPI IIRC.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Great writeup! Looking forward to the series, somehow taking 2/3 in this series would help cement our regional positioning. Most outlets have us firmly in the field as of right now and not in 'last four out.' Btw, the projected Lincoln regional looks brutal with Nebraska/TX Tech/UCLA/Wright State in that pod. Wright State at a 4 seed is Top 15 RPI IIRC.
Wright State is a case study on how flawed the RPI can be, especially this year.

They are 0-5 combined vs Vanderbilt and Alabama. They went 1-2 against Florida Gulf Coast who has a RPI of 68. Other than that, they have 17 total wins against quad 3 and quad 4 teams.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Gotcha, it's all a blur five years ago! I remember saying I'm not going to miss this game being in Omaha, even if I have to go by myself! Was a beautiful day and as Iowa rallied late in game, just crazy noise in the concourse and I really couldn't believe it. Never, ever heard that much noise at an Iowa baseball game, gave me chills. Someday we'll get to see Heller and the boys at the CWS and it will be black and gold everywhere in Omaha!
It was a fantastic day. Tying it up in the top of the ninth was loud and crazy like you said. The tournament being in Omaha is huge for Iowa baseball as it grows in popularity. It’s dumb that there is no conference tournament this year.

This is a big series, of course.

But, I think we will see both teams playing with a sense of urgency, especially when Baseball America says Indiana is one of the first 4 teams out of the NCAA Tournament.

Baseball America continues to only project 3 B1G teams making the NCAA Tournament. Not good. At all.

This time they project Iowa, Michigan and Nebraska.

FIRST 4 OUT: Indiana

Next 4 OUT: Maryland

The full story:

It was a fantastic day. Tying it up in the top of the ninth was loud and crazy like you said. The tournament being in Omaha is huge for Iowa baseball as it grows in popularity. It’s dumb that there is no conference tournament this year.

It’s fun every year, nothing like showing up at 8:45am and ordering that first beer from the tap. I still remember the first year they had beer, and I went up in the 8th inning to order. The guy was like we have to stop alcohol sales after the 7th inning. I’m like “it’s an all day tournament”, we both repeated the same thing to one another and I left. A few others didn’t like this either, and within 10 minutes they were selling beer again. I know. CSB!

Yes, I’d like the conference rationale on why every sport literally besides baseball and softball has a conference tournament.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
It’s fun every year, nothing like showing up at 8:45am and ordering that first beer from the tap. I still remember the first year they had beer, and I went up in the 8th inning to order. The guy was like we have to stop alcohol sales after the 7th inning. I’m like “it’s an all day tournament”, we both repeated the same thing to one another and I left. A few others didn’t like this either, and within 10 minutes they were selling beer again. I know. CSB!

Yes, I’d like the conference rationale on why every sport literally besides baseball and softball has a conference tournament.

and has ANY Power 5 team had a covid issue as a result of playing nonconference opponents?

Kevin Warren has been a complete failure ever since March 12, 2020, the day all the basketball tournaments were canceled.

and has ANY Power 5 team had a covid issue as a result of playing nonconference opponents?

Kevin Warren has been a complete failure ever since March 12, 2020, the day all the basketball tournaments were canceled.
No they haven't. Outdoor sports are at near-zero impact of transmitting COVID to the opponent. COVID outbreaks in MLB and other sports have overwhelmingly been within a team due to inside interaction. The Big 10 playing zero non-conference games was an overreaction among a bunch of over-reactions from the conference over the last year.

No they haven't. Outdoor sports are at near-zero impact of transmitting COVID to the opponent. COVID outbreaks in MLB and other sports have overwhelmingly been within a team due to inside interaction. The Big 10 playing zero non-conference games was an overreaction among a bunch of over-reactions from the conference over the last year.
Depends what you count as an issue. Games have been canceled due to covid, but without looking I don’t think there has been a huge outbreak that has caused P5 team to cancel conference games.

Depends what you count as an issue. Games have been canceled due to covid, but without looking I don’t think there has been a huge outbreak that has caused P5 team to cancel conference games.
Agree. Didn't mean to imply it hasn't been issue. But when it has been, it's been within a team not teams infecting one another when they play.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann

Not that can be proven, the Pittsburg baseball team is currently going through a pause. Something I have noticed, and this is my conspiracy side coming out. Some of the smaller conference schools that are high in the RPI have had some of their series against 200-250+ RPI teams conveniently cancelled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT