ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official #76 RPI IOWA at #194 RPI Northwestern Games Thread (Fri on BTN; Sat & Sun on BTN PLUS)*****

I won't write off the season but this was another brutal loss. Lots of baserunners via walk but bats were far too silent. Again. OBP% doesn't matter if you can't drive them in.

I have some questions about this weekend in general that of course won’t be asked.

What was the thinking pulling Baumann yesterday? He was cruising, and they put in a shaky bullpen.

Why have Wallace hit in the cleanup today? It makes no sense to me. It’s not like he’s out there hitting .300 driving in a couple runs every weekend.

Reactions: denmar81
Iowa went 5-4 against the top two teams in the league as well (Maryland and Nebby), so it’ll sting seeing them play June baseball.

Too many issues with this Iowa team.

Our starter was once again shaky, giving up 4 runs in the first 2 innings.

We strike out too much. Not enough clutch hitting.

This team simply is average at best. After all, we could not win a series vs Northwestern, which was struggling after coming off a covid pause. We should have pounced; instead, we likely will be bounced (from NCAA Tournament consideration).

Someone needs to ask why this continues to happen. Continuous May choke jobs when at large bids are on the line. Iowa hasn’t won a series @ NW since 2014, and hasn’t won one against them since 2015. Granted since 2015 it’s been three road series.
I do think something that needs to be considered is that before Heller Iowa was never in the NCAA Tournament picture.

So even they do miss a few times this is territory that this program was not in before him.

I do think something that needs to be considered is that before Heller Iowa was never in the NCAA Tournament picture.

So even they do miss a few times this is territory that this program was not in before him.

Oh I definitely realize that. I’d never call for Heller to be fired or anything ridiculous like that. I just think at some point, it’s fair to ask what the deal is. You need to get over that at large hump since 2015 instead of constantly being mentioned on the bubble then faltering. Overall I am happy with where Iowa is at, but the goal is to play in June. I think Coach would agree. My concern is the core that leaves Iowa after this year, and it may be a few years before they are back in the top half of the league.

I think Iowa under Heller is a better and more talented program than Northwestern, yet Iowa can’t seem to beat them.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann

Yep. Heller broke a 25 year NCAA appearance drought. But the problem is that once Heller quenched unrealistic fans' thirst, those fans want & expect more.

49 Years: 1972 was Iowa's last College World Series appearance

25 Years: 1990 was the last NCAA Regional appearance by Iowa before Heller's 2015 team broke the 25 year drought.

Under Rick Heller:

2015: NCAA Regional appearance
2017: NCAA Regional appearance

2020: Iowa was on its way to an NCAA Regional appearance until covid canceled the season

2021: In the NCAA Regional Selection discussion

Yep. Heller broke a 25 year NCAA appearance drought. But the problem is that once Heller quenched unrealistic fans' thirst, those fans want & expect more.

49 Years: 1972 was Iowa's last College World Series appearance

25 Years: 1990 was the last NCAA Regional appearance by Iowa before Heller's 2015 team broke the 25 year drought.

Under Rick Heller:

2015: NCAA Regional appearance
2017: NCAA Regional appearance

2020: Iowa was on its way to an NCAA Regional appearance until covid canceled the season

2021: In the NCAA Regional Selection discussion

Iowa was 10-5 in 2020. Yes, they had some good wins and we felt good about the season. There was still way too much year left to say they were on their way. Probably would be having this same conversation. Now if Iowa was 39-11 and the season was cancelled, then yes they were on their way.

I also don’t think it’s unrealistic to do better against Northwestern and Michigan State at least one year of 18,19, and 21 to seal that regional.

QUOTING HEAD COACH RICK HELLER
“(Irvine) made a good pitch. He didn’t hang it. The guy was out in front and it was down and away and he got the barrel on it. The crazy thing is that the wind had shifted two innings prior and was blowing back toward right field and it started foul and the wind brought it back and hit the foul pole. Two innings earlier it was going to be foul by 20 feet, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem was our offense. We know they’re a good hitting team and are one of the top home-run hitting teams out there. They hit five home runs off us today. We could have pitched better, but we didn’t walk guys, didn’t commit errors, didn’t give up free bases – we gave up one free base and lost. That doesn’t happen.”

ADVERTISEMENT