ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official #76 RPI IOWA at #194 RPI Northwestern Games Thread (Fri on BTN; Sat & Sun on BTN PLUS)*****

Brutal loss

Iowa is done as far as regionals go. For whatever reason they just can’t take care of business for those at large bids. I’d like to know why, it sucks but it is what it is. They’ll lose more before the season is over. A day late and a dollar short. Meanwhile, Maryland is taking care of business and a team you beat three times will be playing in June.

Iowa is done as far as regionals go. For whatever reason they just can’t take care of business for those at large bids. I’d like to know why, it sucks but it is what it is. They’ll lose more before the season is over. A day late and a dollar short. Meanwhile, Maryland is taking care of business and a team you beat three times will be playing in June.

You can't say that. After a loss, you always go EXTREME.

We all knew that a 5-1 record over the last 6 games could be enough, especially if we are tied with Maryland in the standings (we have a 3-1 head to head advantage over Maryland). We are 1-1 with 4 games to go. So, no, RIGHT NOW, we are NOT done.

cc: @KyleHuesmann

Reactions: Wingman137

We all knew that a 5-1 record over the last 6 games could be enough, especially if we are tied with Maryland in the standings (we have a 3-1 head to head advantage over Maryland). We are 1-1 with 4 games to go. So, no, RIGHT NOW, we are NOT done.

I think if the loss was going to come it needed to be vs Michigan State.

I think it’s going to be tough, 4 wins will get you close.

I think if the loss was going to come it needed to be vs Michigan State.

I think it’s going to be tough, 4 wins will get you close.

Actually, coming into today, there was not much difference between Northwestern & Michigan State when it came to RPI

204: Northwestern
208: Michigan State

I was hoping for a realistic 5-1 end to our season (and idealistic 6-0 end) where we at least catch Maryland in the standings.

May 22, 2021

B1G, RPI Rankings

Current....Previous
Rank.........Rank...........................................................................RECORD.......ROAD....Neutral......HOME.................

5666NebraskaBig Ten26-1112-36-48-40-0
7376IowaBig Ten23-168-55-510-60-0
7890MarylandBig Ten25-148-63-514-30-0
8787Ohio St.Big Ten19-163-75-311-60-0
9391MichiganBig Ten25-148-310-47-70-0
10295IndianaBig Ten24-149-82-213-40-0
124111RutgersBig Ten18-2113-91-14-110-0
136141IllinoisBig Ten20-1910-54-66-80-0
153148Penn St.Big Ten16-225-113-38-80-0
184188PurdueBig Ten13-247-84-82-80-0
204195NorthwesternBig Ten12-194-86-62-50-0
208223Michigan St.Big Ten16-236-85-75-80-0
279279MinnesotaBig Ten4-280-130-04-150-0

Last edited:

I will say it again. Iowa will not be in an NCAA Regional. They just didn’t take care of business when it mattered. They didn’t get the sweeps when needed, didn’t take 2/3 when needed, and so on. They’re a middle of the pack team in the conference that’s above average.

I don’t see them sweeping MSU. I didn’t before this weekend. It’s just something they haven’t been able to do. It’s a problem beyond this year.

There have been good moments, but once again Iowa will short of a regional bid.

I’d also like to know the thought process of taking Baumann out. He was on cruise control as I’ve seen any Iowa pitcher in recent memory, only at 87 pitches. I realize we bring in our closer, but he’s been shaky at best. It’s not lock we have a closer that comes in that teams are fearful of.

Yep. We all knew that:

* At least a 5-1 record over our last 6 games was needed. We are 1-1 with 4 games to go.

* Maryland finishing 3-3 or worse over their last 6 games would put Iowa in no worse than a tie for 4th in the B1G.

* Sole possession of 4th in the B1G is a great thing because since February D1 Baseball has considered the B1G a 4 bid conference.

* A tie with Maryland for 4th in the B1G is not all that bad because D1 Baseball keeps bringing up that Iowa has that 3-1 head to head tie breaker over Maryland and that the B1G a 4 bid conference.

So, TODAY, you are CLEARLY wrong when you say, and I quote, "Iowa is done as far as regionals go."

IF we lose ONE MORE game over our remaining 4 games then it would be appropriate to type such a thing.

But being extreme after a loss is common with you.

Another example of many?? After a bad loss in early February by the Iowa men's basketball team, you wrote this. Iowa, of course, ended up being a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

6 seed at best, and who knows may be an 8-10 or fall out of the tournament at this rate. Embarrassing actually.

Yep. We all knew that:

* At least a 5-1 record over our last 6 games was needed. We are 1-1 with 4 games to go.

* Maryland finishing 3-3 or worse over their last 6 games would put Iowa in no worse than a tie for 4th in the B1G.

* Sole possession of 4th in the B1G is a great thing because since February D1 Baseball has considered the B1G a 4 bid conference.

* A tie with Maryland for 4th in the B1G is not all that bad because D1 Baseball keeps bringing up that Iowa has that 3-1 head to head tie breaker over Maryland and that the B1G a 4 bid conference.

So, TODAY, you are CLEARLY wrong when you say, and I quote, "Iowa is done as far as regionals go."

IF we lose ONE MORE game over our remaining 4 games then it would be appropriate to type such a thing.

But being extreme after a loss is common with you.

Another example of many?? After a bad loss in early February by the Iowa men's basketball team, you wrote this. Iowa, of course, ended up being a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Spin it how you want, but Iowa has shown no ability to win out. That would only put them on the bubble. It was fun while it lasted, but they are going to come up short once again.

Spin it how you want, but Iowa has shown no ability to win out. That would only put them on the bubble. It was fun while it lasted, but they are going to come up short once again.

If we can't win 5 of 6 vs Northwestern & Michigan State, then we simply are not good enough and don't deserve an NCAA Tournament bid. Because lets face it, if we can't beat these 2 cellar dwellers, then we aren't gonna fare very well in the Tournament.

But TODAY I am not going to type what you did, which was "Iowa is done as far as regionals go."

TODAY we are not done. We still have life. However, if we lose tomorrow or Fri, Sat or Sun of next week, then I might type that our NCAA Tournament hopes are likely over. But not today.

Maryland still has 4 tough remaining games (1 vs Mich, 3 vs IU). I think they go 2-2 at best.

If we go 4-0, we are tied with Maryland with the 3 games to 1 head to head advantage over Maryland.

So, that would mean Iowa clinches 4th in the B1G & D1 Baseball says the B1G is a 4 bid conference.

It's do or die today for the Hawkeyes. If we can't take 2 of 3 from Northwestern then we simply are not good enough & don't deserve an NCAA Tournament bid.

We must win today & get a Maryland loss at Michigan, which would pull us within a game of Maryland with 3 games to go.

Current Standings (thanks @Alum-Ni )

........................................................Games
........................................................Back

1. Nebraska (28-11, .718) ...............--
2. Michigan (26-14, .650)..............2 1/2
3. Maryland (25-15, .625)..............3 1/2
4. Indiana (24-15, .615)..................4
5. Iowa (23-17, .575)........................5 1/2
...................................................................................

6. Ohio State (19-17)
7. Illinois (21-19)
8. Rutgers (19-21)
9. Penn State (16-23)
10. Northwestern (13-19)
11. Michigan State (16-24)
12. Purdue (14-24)
13. Minnesota (4-29)

Games for Sunday, May 23:
Iowa
at Northwestern
Maryland at Michigan
Ohio State vs. Nebraska (at Bloomington, IN)
Ohio State at Indiana

Michigan State at Rutgers
Penn State at Illinois
Purdue at Minnesota

Last edited:
It's do or die today for the Hawkeyes. If we can't take 2 of 3 from Northwestern then we simply are not good enough & don't deserve an NCAA Tournament bid.

We must win today & get a Maryland loss at Michigan, which would pull us within a game of Maryland with 3 games to go.

Current Standings (thanks @Alum-Ni )

........................................................Games
........................................................Back

1. Nebraska (28-11, .718) ...............--
2. Michigan (26-14, .650)..............2 1/2
3. Maryland (25-15, .625)..............3 1/2
4. Indiana (24-15, .615)..................4
5. Iowa (23-17, .575)........................5 1/2
...................................................................................

6. Ohio State (19-17)
7. Illinois (21-19)
8. Rutgers (19-21)
9. Penn State (16-23)
10. Northwestern (13-19)
11. Michigan State (16-24)
12. Purdue (14-24)
13. Minnesota (4-29)

Games for Sunday, May 23:
Maryland at Michigan
Michigan State at Rutgers
Iowa at Northwestern
Ohio State vs. Nebraska (at Bloomington, IN)
Penn State at Illinois
Purdue at Minnesota
Ohio State at Indiana

Nebraska needs to win out or sweep Michigan at least

With the caveat that I’m not placing blame at their feet …. There are plenty of reason why Iowa is in its current predicament … but Norman and Adreon’s bats going cold have really put a damper on the overall offense.

For those who want to also tune in to the Maryland Michigan game, the link is at the end of this post.

The game link is an m3u8 link. I normally would use a media player to watch m3u8 links. Recently, however, I learned about the "HLS" add on. It allows your browser to understand an m3u8 link and play it within a normal internet window.

For Chrome, go here and click on the "Add to Chrome" button: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/native-hls-playback/emnphkkblegpebimobpbekeedfgemhof

Once you do that,

Maryland at Michigan Link: .m3u8

Today's Iowa game link that I just emailed to 12 people including @Cymonhawk and @funnyfletcher is also an m3u8 link.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Guy for NW has hardly pitched this year, and shows zero control. Don’t give him long fly outs, make him throw strikes. I’m content if he wants to throw balls all day.

Another NW homer, 4-0 NW. I can see how today is going to go. Brutal ending to the season, and Northwestern dashing Iowa regional chances 2/3 three years. Full years that is.

Interesting note, Coach Heller hasn’t won a series in Evanston since year one with the 2014 team. This is only the third series in Evanston since then. He 2015 team played them at home and did win 2/3.

Michigan has guy on 1st, 0 outs

Next guy gets HIT ON THE BACK; ump says he didn't try to get out of way and does not allow him to advance to 1st; he strikes out looking

So, instead of 0 outs and runners on 1st & 2nd, there is 1 out & runner on 1st

7-3 Maryland, bottom of 7

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT