ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

Meg helped turn the tide again, after Connecticut whittled a 17 point lead down to 7, Meg defended and rebounded tough and even drew a foul on a nice hustle rebound. Came out and LV was back up by 11. Her plus/minus will look good tonight.

Martin on to start the 4th.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
May be tough for Kate to get minutes

Chelsea Gray is back so this was expected.

2 players, actually, are now affecting Kate's minutes:

(1) On May 31st, 34 year old guard Tiffany Hayes came out of retirement.
..........Hayes' stats Wednesday night: 24 minutes, 1-3 (33%) from three, 3-5 (60%) from two, 1-2 (50%) FTs for 10 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals.

(2) 31 year old guard Chelsea Gray played Wednesday night for the 1st time this season.
..........Gray's stats Wednesday night: 16 minutes, 0-1 from three, 0-1 from two, 1-2 FTs for 1 point, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks.

The Aces (8-6) beat Connecticut (13-2) tonight, 85-74.

2 players are now affecting Kate's minutes:

(1) On May 31st, 34 year old guard Tiffany Hayes came out of retirement.
..........Hayes' stats tonight: 21 minutes, 0-1 (0%) from three, 2-3 (67%) from two, 0-0 (0%) FTs for 4 points and 2 assists .

(2) 31 year old guard Chelsea Gray played tonight for the 2nd time this season.
..........Gray's stats tonight: 17 minutes, 0-1 (0%) from three, 1-5 (20%) from two, 2-4 (50%) FTs for 4 points, 1 assist, 2 rebounds, 1 block.

Hawkeye stats:

..................Kate.......Megan

Mins..............8..................11

From 3:........0-1..............0-0
From 2:.........1-1...............2-2

Overall
Shooting:
.....1-2 (50%)...2-2 (100%)

FTs................0-0...............1-2 (50%)

Points..............2.................5
Rebounds........1.................6
Steals...............0.................0
Assists.............0..................1
Blocks..............0.................0

Turnovers.........1................0
Fouls..................0................1

She’s a better coach than people thought 3 weeks ago. Fans have zero patience. Clearly the staff and players have figured some things out. Not playing the top of the league repeatedly helps.
If most of these fans had a clue, then yes, their patience could be questioned

Reactions: Tom Paris
Normally Atlanta plays at the Gateway Center, which has a capacity of 3,500 for basketball. Tonight's Indiana/Atlanta game was moved to State Farm Arena, which has a capacity of 16,888 (home of the NBA Atlanta Hawks). It was a standing room only crowd.
Atlanta's prior home game attendance numbers:
3,265:
May 21, 2024, vs Dallas
3,265: May 26, 2024, vs Minnesota
4,015: May 31, 2024, vs Las Vegas
3,265: June 2, 2024, vs Connecticut
3,255: June 6, 2024, vs New York
3,260: June 11, 2024, vs Washington
3,260: June 16, 2024, vs Los Angeles

When Caitlin Clark comes to your arena (June 21, 2024):

Atlanta's next home game against Indiana will also be played at State Farm Arena (capacity of 16,888) on Aug 26.

Caitlin Clark, Indiana Fever top Atlanta Dream in front of record Atlanta crowd

• Associated Press
Jun 21, 2024, 10:25 PM ET

ATLANTA -- NaLyssa Smith had 21 points and nine rebounds, Caitlin Clark added 16 points and seven assists and the Indiana Fever beat the Atlanta Dream 91-79 on Friday night in front a record-breaking 17,575 fans at State Farm Arena.

Atlanta set a franchise record for single-game home attendance, surpassing the 11,609 fans who saw the team's inaugural game against the Detroit Shock in 2008 at Philips Arena.

The game was played at the home of the NBA's Atlanta Hawks due to high ticket demand to see Clark, the No. 1 draft pick. The Dream's usual home at Gateway Center Arena in College Park has a capacity of 3,500.

The hyped matchup took a hit when it was announced that Rhyne Howard, the 2022 top pick for Atlanta, would not play due to a lower leg injury.

Indiana scored a season-high 35 first-quarter points to build a 10-point lead after shooting 70% from the field.

Clark made her fourth 3-pointer, and Indiana's 10th, to extend the lead to 71-60 midway through the third quarter. It came during an 11-3 run that ended in a 79-62 lead. The Fever cruised in the fourth.

Kelsey Mitchell added 18 points and Aliyah Boston had 10 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks for Indiana (7-10), which won its fourth straight game. Katie Lou Samuelson added 10 points off the bench.

Tina Charles scored a season-high 24 for her 37th career 20-point game to lead Atlanta (6-8). Allisha Gray added 19 points and Haley Jones scored 12.

Atlanta's next home game against Indiana will also be played at State Farm Arena on Aug. 26.

i

Friday's game between the Fever and Dream was played at State Farm Arena, the home of the Atlanta Hawks, due to high ticket demand to see Caitlin Clark. Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire

Atlanta's next home game against Indiana will also be played at State Farm Arena (capacity of 16,888) on Aug 26.

Caitlin Clark, Indiana Fever top Atlanta Dream in front of record Atlanta crowd

• Associated Press
Jun 21, 2024, 10:25 PM ET

ATLANTA -- NaLyssa Smith had 21 points and nine rebounds, Caitlin Clark added 16 points and seven assists and the Indiana Fever beat the Atlanta Dream 91-79 on Friday night in front a record-breaking 17,575 fans at State Farm Arena.

Atlanta set a franchise record for single-game home attendance, surpassing the 11,609 fans who saw the team's inaugural game against the Detroit Shock in 2008 at Philips Arena.

The game was played at the home of the NBA's Atlanta Hawks due to high ticket demand to see Clark, the No. 1 draft pick. The Dream's usual home at Gateway Center Arena in College Park has a capacity of 3,500.

The hyped matchup took a hit when it was announced that Rhyne Howard, the 2022 top pick for Atlanta, would not play due to a lower leg injury.

Indiana scored a season-high 35 first-quarter points to build a 10-point lead after shooting 70% from the field.

Clark made her fourth 3-pointer, and Indiana's 10th, to extend the lead to 71-60 midway through the third quarter. It came during an 11-3 run that ended in a 79-62 lead. The Fever cruised in the fourth.

Kelsey Mitchell added 18 points and Aliyah Boston had 10 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks for Indiana (7-10), which won its fourth straight game. Katie Lou Samuelson added 10 points off the bench.

Tina Charles scored a season-high 24 for her 37th career 20-point game to lead Atlanta (6-8). Allisha Gray added 19 points and Haley Jones scored 12.

Atlanta's next home game against Indiana will also be played at State Farm Arena on Aug. 26.

i

Friday's game between the Fever and Dream was played at State Farm Arena, the home of the Atlanta Hawks, due to high ticket demand to see Caitlin Clark. Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire

Nice. And at State Farm Arena.

The TV announcer actually said that the southeastern part of the country has a huge amount of women’s basketball fans and the Dream are the premiere women’s team in the southeast, so it was good they moved the game to a larger arena so all those fans could get a chance to see the Dream play….bwahaha.
Dickie V disagrees with the idea that all those fans were there to see the Dream

Dick Vitale

@DickieV
·
1h

It’s AMAZING what ⁦@CaitlinClark22@IndianaFever⁩ has meant financially to the
@WNBA - Here is another reason - record crowd 17,000 in ATLANTA last night.
Yes what Caitlin is doing for everyone in the league is mind boggling!

When many (most?) players have to get a second job during the off-season to make enough money it also makes it hard to adhere to an off-season workout regimen. I mean, the number 1 draft pick makes 76,000 a year. Not many players make more than 100k per year. There have to be a large number of players making around 50k a season. It's not easy to work 8 hours and then do a workout routine designed to play professional sports. Higher salaries will make it easier for players to fully commit to off season training.
Now look at Olympic athletes in swimming and track. This is a very weak argument

Based on current standings, the Fever’s opponents’ average place for the first 11 games is 4.54 while the last 11 games average is 7.36. The last 2 games of the regular season are against the bottom 2 teams in the league (Dallas and Washington). The Fever only play 2 games of their final 11 ‬against any of the top four teams (Connecticut and Minnesota). They play those last 11 games in 25 days.

DISCLAIMER: I did my calculations based on the standings on Saturday, June 22, before any games were played. My math could be off, but the basic Idea is sound. I based my calculations on ESPN, which made the job tougher by listing standings by city or state, while the Fever’s schedule listed teams by nickname.

If people are getting wacked out by the number of CC turnovers then they should just grade the turnovers as caused by CC or caused by a teammate. And be honest about it.

I have seen a little of the fever and the highlights to see that maybe a decent percentage of CC's turnovers are on her teamates for bobbling the ball and not getting a shot off.

If people are getting wacked out by the number of CC turnovers then they should just grade the turnovers as caused by CC or caused by a teammate. And be honest about it.

I have seen a little of the fever and the highlights to see that maybe a decent percentage of CC's turnovers are on her teamates for bobbling the ball and not getting a shot off.
If you took away those that her teammates should have caught, Clark would average 3-4 turnovers per game. She had 7 last night and three of them should have been handled by her teammates.

Now look at Olympic athletes in swimming and track. This is a very weak argument
Maybe, I don't have any idea what your average swimmer or track athlete is bringing in, including sponsorships. There also might be a more organized training program for them. Or not, I didn't say it wasn't possible, I was just pointing out why it is understandable that many players in the WNBA can't be 100% focused on off-season training. Regardless, I imagine things will be changing for them in the next couple of years.

If you took away those that her teammates should have caught, Clark would average 3-4 turnovers per game. She had 7 last night and three of them should have been handled by her teammates.
Yep.. and a few of the other turnovers were on forced passes after she passed up a 3 she that should have taken. Once she gets more comfortable, she'll pull the trigger more and TOs will go down and scoring will go up. It's only a matter of time. TOs are not a major concern imo.

There was also at the very minimum 3 missed assists on dropped passes or missed bunnies. Happens every game.. she should probably lead the league in assists

Agreed. But it's also why she needs to cut down on the litte "out of control" spurts she falls into at times. So she can cut out just 2 turnovers a game that she is responsible for.... That'd be a big difference.

There was a stretch in the first half that you could tell she was antsy and pushed the envelope too much. Got caught on a drive to the hoop once and traveled.

Gotta be tough for her tho. She wants to turn it loose so bad that she gets impatient at times.

I think she only had 2 turnovers in the 2nd half, so she just needs to consistently do that!

Last edited:
Agreed. But it's also why she needs to cut down on the litter "out of control" spurts she falls into at times. So she can cut out just 2 turnovers a game that she is responsible for.... That'd be a big difference.

There was a stretch in the first half that you could tell she was antsy and pushed the envelope too much. Got caught on a drive to the hoop once and traveled.

Gotta be tough for her tho. She wants to turn it lose so bad that she gets impatient at times.

I think she only had 2 turnovers in the 2nd half, so she just needs to consistently do that!
She had a game a couple of weeks ago where she only had one turnover in the first half, but she also only had one assist. The problem is if she focuses on limiting turnovers, she isn’t as effective in the rest of her game. High risk high reward….that’s how she plays.

Based on current standings, the Fever’s opponents’ average place for the first 11 games is 4.54 while the last 11 games average is 7.36. The last 2 games of the regular season are against the bottom 2 teams in the league (Dallas and Washington). The Fever only play 2 games of their final 11 ‬against any of the top four teams (Connecticut and Minnesota). They play those last 11 games in 25 days.

DISCLAIMER: I did my calculations based on the standings on Saturday, June 22, before any games were played. My math could be off, but the basic Idea is sound. I based my calculations on ESPN, which made the job tougher by listing standings by city or state, while the Fever’s schedule listed teams by nickname.
And people kept asking how this team won 13 games last year lol..............

I heard John Wooden say he wasn't concerned about TOs. He said he expected 12-13 TOs a game from his teams. He wanted his teams to push it and he didn't want them playing it safe. You cannot grow as a team and as a player without taking some chances.

CC is such a great player in large part because she never plays it safe. IMO her TOs are just fine. Gotta have a few head scratchers in there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT