ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

I will say the W establishment (players, league, media sycophants, etc.) have managed to alienate me. I was guns blazing trying to get into the W. I am still all in on Clark, but I have zero interest in watching any other team. Sorry Kate and Meg. It's not out of spite or sticking up for Clark. They just annoy me and they want to have their cake and eat it too. People like Dawn Staley (not current W, but part of the establishment) give lip service to wanting a high tide to raise all ships, but no one of import has the emotional maturity to actually follow through on such a pragmatic outlook. If I have had it, 90% of the newfound would-be W fans have had it. What a shame.
You just described the spider household perfectly. For me, if there was a final straw so to speak, it came when I watched Monica McNutt’s interview with Jon Stewart. At one point she made some remark how (I’m paraphrasing) “all you new folks who haven’t been around for 27 years don’t get to just come in here and tell us you don’t like our game and we need to do it different—that’s not how it works.” Well yes, Monica, this is America and that’s actually exactly how it works. Supposedly your league is in the business of providing entertainment, and competing (I use that term rather loosely, and almost tongue in cheek) with a LOT of other options consumers have out there for their time, money, etc. in the entertainment space. The customer does actually get to define and “hire” the best product to do the job that needs to be done (in this case, “entertain me”). If you and your league have no desire to repackage your product to make it more appealing to a much larger consumer market, then I guess I’ll just find other products to fulfill my demand for entertainment. I suspect I’m not alone there.

You just described the spider household perfectly. For me, if there was a final straw so to speak, it came when I watched Monica McNutt’s interview with Jon Stewart. At one point she made some remark how (I’m paraphrasing) “all you new folks who haven’t been around for 27 years don’t get to just come in here and tell us you don’t like our game and we need to do it different—that’s not how it works.” Well yes, Monica, this is America and that’s actually exactly how it works. Supposedly your league is in the business of providing entertainment, and competing (I use that term rather loosely, and almost tongue in cheek) with a LOT of other options consumers have out there for their time, money, etc. in the entertainment space. The customer does actually get to define and “hire” the best product to do the job that needs to be done (in this case, “entertain me”). If you and your league have no desire to repackage your product to make it more appealing to a much larger consumer market, then I guess I’ll just find other products to fulfill my demand for entertainment. I suspect I’m not alone there.

In that same segment with the bootlickin' Jon Stewart, Monica McNutt also said she'd wished that the old WNBA cabal of black "sisters" could just stay the way it was was, and not belong to all these new fans (namely, us white dude Iowa fans.) The league is explicitly racial in terms of solidarity.

One thing I have always tried to preach to Iowans is that while it feels Christian and decent and purifying to say "I don't see race," please know that race always sees you.

As Hawkeye tells Radar in MASH: "To hell with your Iowa naivete!" (1:26)

Just a thought about Angel Reese. She's a forward and she dominanting at that position. The Aces play the Sky tomorrow. Why not put A'ja on Angel and let Stokes and Gustafson guard Cardoso It will be interesting to see if teams start putting their centers on her.

Just a thought about Angel Reese. She's a forward and she dominanting at that position. The Aces play the Sky tomorrow. Why not put A'ja on Angel and let Stokes and Gustafson guard Cardoso It will be interesting to see if teams start putting their centers on her.
They should double team her and deny her the ball.

They don't have enough shooters to make teams pay, so why not?

Paige's groveling to the in-crowd is such a cowardly look. Cameron the same. Trimmed to its essence, the prevaling WNBA narrative is: you aren't us. You should probably feel bad about that, and try harder to please US. In Caitlin's case, where growing the league is concerned, the reverse is true.

In other news, I was recently in Albuquerque for work and some random guy at a bar, wearing a Pistons 'Sheed jersey, was loudly asking to put the Fever game on.

What's something I've never seen and will never see again post-Caitlin, for a bajillion, Alex?

I also hear that if you want to be a fan, you need to learn the history of the league…um, no I don’t. When I watched Michael Phelps, I didn’t have to learn the history of swimming.

The new-look WNBA with full arenas, charter flights and expanded TV and media coverage is kinda like that shiny pair of new shoes the W has been eyeing for so long. But breaking in a new pair sure can be painful. Man, come to think of it, the old pair sure were comfortable.

Please don't tell me she's related to Marvin.

Tonites game on tv?
Never mind ..i see it is on ABC after debate.
Kind of amazing, really.
Were these games on prime time major network in past?
Regular season games?
Hmm ... are you sure?

I know it's on Prime. The debate is 90 minutes, that would bump into 9 pm tipoff time.

Wish it was on ABC, better picture and I could record it.

So I'm watching the Aces against the Sky. The announcer just noted that after each Sky game the opposing bigs will counsel Angel Reese on what she can do to better her game.

Must be part of that standard rookie hazing they talk about. Bardo called it a "sisterhood."
The opposing bigs? WTH?

Reese just picked up her 3rd foul.

200w.gif

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT