ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

CC disappeared again in the 4th. She wasn't even looking for her shot.

Once they started playing zone she could either shoot and keep missing from 3, or drive and turn it over. That's why she disappeared. But that all starts with defense because their offense is good in transition. If you can't get stops and run, or execute on out of bounds plays, they don't really have much offense. When Copper started scoring every possession you can't get out and run. Same reason they fell so far behind on Wednesday, they gave up layup after layup on defense forcing them into a half court game and it felt like turning it over every other possession for 3 quarters.

Las Vegas (15-7) won at Atlanta (7-15), 84-70.

2 players are now affecting Kate Martin's minutes:

(1) On May 31st, 34 year old guard Tiffany Hayes came out of retirement.
..........Hayes' stats today: 19 minutes, 0-1 (0%) from three, 1-3 (33%) from two, 1-2 (50%) FTs for 3 points, 1 assist, and 0 rebounds.

(2) 31 year old guard Chelsea Gray played today for the 10th time this season.
..........Gray's stats today: 31 minutes, 0-3 (0%) from three, 2-6 (33%) from two, 1-2 (50%) FTs for 5 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds and 1 steal.

Megan did not play (coach's decision).

Hawkeye stats:

.......................Kate..........Megan

Mins..................11.....................0

From 3:..........2-4.................0-0
From 2:...........0-1.................0-0

Overall
Shooting:
.......2-5 (40%)...0-0 (0%)

FTs...................0-0................0-0

Points.................6....................0
Rebounds..........2....................0
Steals..................2....................0
Assists................0....................0
Blocks.................0....................0

Turnovers..........1....................0
Fouls...................2....................0

Hull and KLS will not be on this team next year, and they almost lost the game today. 0 fer from 3, all of which were wide open.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Hull and KLS will not be on this team next year, and they almost lost the game today. 0 fer from 3, all of which were wide open.
The two combined to shot 20% from the field; 00% from three (0-10). And, all were open looks.

Clark was 2-7 from three, but 50% overall from the field.

Once the ball leaves Clark's hands, it's amateur night.

Everybody BUT Clark shooting. Hull and Smith should NOT be shooting from three.......
On June 28, Christie Sides said this in a press conference:

"Caitlin Clark needs to shoot a minimum of 15 shots a game for us," A minimum of 15 shots.

Since the Sides ultimatum, Clark has attempted at least 15 shots in only 2 of 5 Fever games (including 16 FGA tonight vs. PHX). CC needs to shoot more.

This is mostly a coaching problem. In the same press conference, Sides identified the problem:

“We got to do a better job of setting her up and setting some really good screens for her… once the ball is out of her hands, she’s setting the rest of our team up with some really great looks. But when we’re not able to finish those, we got to make sure… getting the ball back in her hands sometimes.”

It’s not happening. Figure it out.

It's funny because that's a counterargument that Angel Reese fans use whenever they cry about fans who allegedly say that Clark shouldn't be guarded so much, along with the argument around the differences between Clark and Reese stating that she's just being guarded the way the scouting report says she should and that it's no different for anyone else (in terms of how they're guarded based on the scouting report). They believe that Reese still gets guarded tough and that Caitlin gets comparable defense played against her based on scouting reports.

I know I'm probably not explaining what they say very well, because to be honest, most of the time their counterarguments are f***ing idiotic anyway.

But hey........we don't know "ball" so we're in the wrong here.

Yeah the way you explained it is about how I hear it, I/E: dumb as hell ⬆️ and that fourth-quarter was something to behold what a disaster. It’s like they decided hey, let’s see how we can play. If we just use Caitlin as a decoy all quarter long and CC for her part sold it, because she didn’t even act like a threat until it became obvious she needed to be.

1 on 1 ball, hero plays, to much passing, to little passing, isolation plays, with ugly shots, dumbass turnovers…WTH?

I get taking her off the ball, but she clearly did not look like an option at all for most of that quarter. Let me just say this, I am glad as hell I deactivated my Twitter account because I can only imagine what people were saying about that.

And here’s the thing, I believe CC only had one turnover in the quarter and two in the whole entire second half but everybody else made up for it by fumbling the ball, throwing it away, leaving shots way short, long shots missing the rim entirely, missed layups, wide open 3s…what a mess!

Last edited:
Rewatched the 4th. CC really wanted that last assist. Each time she tried, her mates missed. When Hull shot her 2 fts after the pass from Clark, following the missed/blocked layup, every player low 5ed Hull after the makes, but not CC. She wasn't anywhere near her.
So many opportunities missed and Clark only took one shot. Hard to fathom.

Newsflash....Sides is in over her head as a HC.

The question..."Does mgmt acknowledge it".

I don’t know dude, Chicago, Dream, Sparks, Wings, etc all look lost routinely, oddly enough, Washington actually seems well coached, they are a tough out, they are just injured and lack real talent. Odd ass league and honestly Mercury looked way out manned, clueless & disinterested most of the game until they said hey Kaleah, just play 1 on 1…I’m honestly starting to think it’s not an actual live sport, just scripted 🤷‍♂️

I am sure this will get the attention that "Angel's" double-double streak has gotten.

This, of course, is the same thing Reese is doing except it's being done by a guard and it's just as, if not more, impressive.

She's eeeking out DDs just barely getting over 10 pts/reb late in games, with an embarrassingly low FG% and barely getting any assists, steals, blocks. Over the last five games AR is only averaging 3 more rebounds per game than CC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT