ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Caitlin/Fever/Kate/Meg Games Mega Thread***

She's eeeking out DDs just barely getting over 10 pts/reb late in games, with an embarrassingly low FG% and barely getting any assists, steals, blocks. Over the last five games AR is only averaging 3 more rebounds per game than CC.

But the mental gymnastics that will be done by Black ESPN female "analysts," where they argue that Angel is the Rookie of the Year, will continue.

She still had six for the game. Too many. Half of those TOs were just really poor choices. The other half were forgivable.
Ya know, one thing to counter the turnovers is to look at how many steals she has. Think of it in terms of give/take in football.

If she had 6 TOs and for example 3 steals, she's -3 still, but it's better than just saying she gave the other team 6 extra opportunities.

Then when you factor in how much higher her assist numbers were, you can pretty much negate any bad publicity those turnovers have to offer.............. ;) ;) ;)

gosh, how many times have athletes messed up their hand/wrist by punching/slapping something in frustration?
Dunn has her work cut out for her to revamp this roster to get players who can actually play with an excellent point guard. And, a little shooting, finishing strong, and defense helps. Is there any other player on this squad a willing passer? Anyone a lock-down defender?
Much to address.

Sabrina is hitting 3s right now. Not sure her percentages, but she had a big game against Chicago.

The thing Caitlin has going for her is the fact that she is such an all around player impacting all facets of the game right now, all while drawing the most defensive attention of any player in the league, and more than some entire teams draw........................

Sabrina is hitting 3s right now. Not sure her percentages, but she had a big game against Chicago.

The thing Caitlin has going for her is the fact that she is such an all around player impacting all facets of the game right now, all while drawing the most defensive attention of any player in the league, and more than some entire teams draw........................

Here are their stats before Friday's games. Caitlin's Friday game numbers are not included; Sabrina and Diana did not play Friday.

As you can see, CC's numbers are better (or just as good) than Diana's (especially the assists).

....................................Pts..Rebs..Asts...Stl...Blk...FG%..3Pt%..FT%
Sabrina Ionescu...19.0...4.4.....6.2...1.0...0.3....42.1...34.6....90.1
Caitlin Clark...........16.7...5.9......7.6...1.5...0.9...39.8...34.2...89.0
Diana Taurasi.........16.6...4.7.....2.6..0.7...0.2....39.7...35.4....87.5

Once they started playing zone she could either shoot and keep missing from 3, or drive and turn it over. That's why she disappeared. But that all starts with defense because their offense is good in transition. If you can't get stops and run, or execute on out of bounds plays, they don't really have much offense. When Copper started scoring every possession you can't get out and run. Same reason they fell so far behind on Wednesday, they gave up layup after layup on defense forcing them into a half court game and it felt like turning it over every other possession for 3 quarters.
SSSOOO.... Its okay for her to pass the ball to Hull, Smith and Samuelson who threw up more bricks then a union mason, (or even Mitchell who's a combined 1 for 14 from three in the last two games), but she shouldn't risk herself missing from three?? Thats your comment? For whatever the reason she diverts to team mates late in games way to often. I assume as time goes on she'll figure this out, but she needs to be more selfish at times.

Not expecting Caitlin to get added but 3 of the 12 Olympians are currently hobbled with injuries.

(1) Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner was ruled out of last night's 95-86 loss at Indiana after suffering what the team announced as a right hip injury in the second quarter. "What I've been told is a strained groin, so we will see," Phoenix coach Nate Tibbetts said after the game. "The medical staff decided to hold her out."

(2) Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi has not played since July 3rd at Dallas (she played 30 minutes). She has "a lower leg injury."

(3) Minnesota Lynx forward Napheesa Collier has not played since July 4th vs Connecticut (she played 25 minutes). She is dealing with plantar fasciitis in her left foot.

Top 5 player here but not good enough for the Olympic team.

Fantasy Women's Basketball: Updated Top 75 Rankings

Below are ESPN's rankings of the top 75 players for fantasy women's basketball in 2024.

These rankings are based on ESPN's default women's basketball settings which award one point for each point, assist and rebound, a bonus point for making a 3-pointer, and two points each for blocks and steals.

Updated: July 9

The Top 5 Overall Players:

Rank, Player, Team, Positional Rank (Last week's rank)

1. A'ja Wilson, LV, F1 (LW: 1)
2. Breanna Stewart, NY, F2 (LW: 2)
3. Arike Ogunbowale, Dal, G1 (LW: 3)
4. Sabrina Ionescu, NY, G2 (LW: 4)
5. Caitlin Clark, Ind, G3 (LW: 9)

The Full List:

i

They want to talk about Angel’s non-rookie record but don’t want to talk about any of CC’s non rookie records

What’s interesting to me and other homers is that her numbers are reflecting what we were complaining about to start the season. That is, we complained her teammates couldn’t catch the damn ball and convert. They are doing a much better job of that and voila, her assists are eye popping.

I am sure this will get the attention that "Angel's" double-double streak has gotten.

This, of course, is the same thing Reese is doing except it's being done by a guard and it's just as, if not more, impressive.

I think it definitively answers the question what is harder, Double Double in points/rebounds or points/assists in consecutive games. 6 is the record for assists. How many players in league history have had Double Double points/rebounds in 6 straight games? I bet, at a minimum, 10. Not even close.

What’s interesting to me and other homers is that her numbers are reflecting what we were complaining about to start the season. That is, we complained her teammates couldn’t catch the damn ball and convert. They are doing a much better job of that and voila, her assists are eye popping.
Yes, but even so Fever 3 point shooting remains abysmal. If Hull or KLS had shot 20% last night, CC22 would have had 15 assists. Thats the reason Wallace doesn't play any more, she can't make a 3.

SSSOOO.... Its okay for her to pass the ball to Hull, Smith and Samuelson who threw up more bricks then a union mason, (or even Mitchell who's a combined 1 for 14 from three in the last two games), but she shouldn't risk herself missing from three?? Thats your comment? For whatever the reason she diverts to team mates late in games way to often. I assume as time goes on she'll figure this out, but she needs to be more selfish at times.

So, remind me, Kceast, I’m not around here enough lately to honestly remember, is Hawkalum one of those “Meh” guys towards CC that needs to “keep her real” ?

Here’s the deal, I must be missing something because I really see several things differently than most people on here. Lets start with the bad, for awhile I thought there were times she played with some timidity, like she really was unsure of what she should do and really the outside noise and potential team conflict really was affecting her. Other times she tries to fit the ball into impossible places, and still others where she launches unnecessary 30-footers & still others where I wish she’d pull up and hit a 12 foot jumper and/or take it to the rack instead of passing it..,

But listen to all that, those are just examples of somebody trying to find their spot🤷‍♂️

As far as this game goes and multiple times in other games, it really does appear at times she becomes at best option a tertiary and I’m not even sure she’s that. She did not stand around ever @ Iowa. Sometimes they push her out on the wing 25 foot from the hoop and it appears they want her to stay there. She’s a decoy for spacing. They go to complete other direction, they use her to run a play inside her etc.. I mean think about it when she’s 25 foot from the hoop obviously she has a girl right on her and there’s at least one other girl with her eye on her.. this last game they took it out of her hands for most of the Qtr. If you look at the offense, she was open a number of times they literally did not throw the ball to her and it’s not a jealousy thing at this point in time. It literally looked like they were trying to see if they could run the offense with her as a decoy. It’s some weird shit, I get what you guys are seeing, but I don’t think it’s at all for the reason you’re assuming.

I mean, honestly she wasn’t throwing the ball away, she wasn’t passing up shots. She literally wasn’t involved for about seven or eight minutes and it’s not like she didn’t want more assist. I mean she wasn’t avoiding the shots.

I mentioned this recently on Twitter. But to be fair, there is a shit ton of sloppy play and missed layups in the whole entirety of the WNBA, it affects her more because she’s willing to throw more passes, longer passes into tight windows. I’m telling you right now she will always have 4+ turnovers a game in her career I’m convinced.

OK, so I want to say, I really don’t give a shit if she wins this award, she’s revolutionary and she’s a joy to watch, and if you can’t get behind that, there’s some sort of reason, and hell for some its often just a contrarian type reasons. Hell hated Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeplin etc when I was an adolescent and young man (because everyone else didn’t 😂) Now I think they’re fantastic… The point is sometimes we’re just one of those people on one of those trips. I get it.

With that rambling out of the way, these wins metrics and per metrics and raptor metrics and all this stupid shit they’re trying to do to prop Reese up and I’ve often said I’m not a Reese hater…, but it’s insane, I honestly don’t get it. I’d love to see the last 10 rookies of the years and how they ranked and you’re comparing a power forward to a guard?

Can someone make this make sense to me? I understand they have some merit, but they’re also deceiving as hell, because I got in a debate with someone again on Twitter “thank the Lord I broke that spell“ I actually finally did a dive on analytics my Lord Almighty first of all, some of them are top heavy to F/C I’ve read, & angel Reeses effective shooting percentage and true shooting percentage are abysmal and her PIE ratings although higher than CC are on the low end of the elite forwards where as CCs rankings are right in the middle of the elite guards and her true shooting percentage and effective shooting percentage are on the high end & significantly higher than a 63 Ford who shoots 5 foot from the basket?

WTH… someone please make it make sense to me?

@littlez @kceasthawk @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

So, remind me, Kceast, I’m not around here enough lately to honestly remember, is Hawkalum one of those “Meh” guys towards CC that needs to “keep her real” ?

Here’s the deal, I must be missing something because I really see several things differently than most people on here. Lets start with the bad, for awhile I thought there were times she played with some timidity, like she really was unsure of what she should do and really the outside noise and potential team conflict really was affecting her. Other times she tries to fit the ball into impossible places, and still others where she launches unnecessary 30-footers & still others where I wish she’d pull up and hit a 12 foot jumper and/or take it to the rack instead of passing it..,

But listen to all that, those are just examples of somebody trying to find their spot🤷‍♂️

As far as this game goes and multiple times in other games, it really does appear at times she becomes at best option a tertiary and I’m not even sure she’s that. She did not stand around ever @ Iowa. Sometimes they push her out on the wing 25 foot from the hoop and it appears they want her to stay there. She’s a decoy for spacing. They go to complete other direction, they use her to run a play inside her etc.. I mean think about it when she’s 25 foot from the hoop obviously she has a girl right on her and there’s at least one other girl with her eye on her.. this last game they took it out of her hands for most of the Qtr. If you look at the offense, she was open a number of times they literally did not throw the ball to her and it’s not a jealousy thing at this point in time. It literally looked like they were trying to see if they could run the offense with her as a decoy. It’s some weird shit, I get what you guys are seeing, but I don’t think it’s at all for the reason you’re assuming.

I mean, honestly she wasn’t throwing the ball away, she wasn’t passing up shots. She literally wasn’t involved for about seven or eight minutes and it’s not like she didn’t want more assist. I mean she wasn’t avoiding the shots.
The Mercury changed up their defense to stop Clark….they went to a zone with one person staying in Clark’s face. But she was still delivering nice passes…unfortunately no one on the team could hit water if they fell out of a boat. Clark did what she should have done, her teammates didn’t.

OK, so I want to say, I really don’t give a shit if she wins this award, she’s revolutionary and she’s a joy to watch, and if you can’t get behind that, there’s some sort of reason, and hell for some its often just a contrarian type reasons. Hell hated Guns N’ Roses, Led Zeplin etc when I was an adolescent and young man (because everyone else didn’t 😂) Now I think they’re fantastic… The point is sometimes we’re just one of those people on one of those trips. I get it.

With that rambling out of the way, these wins metrics and per metrics and raptor metrics and all this stupid shit they’re trying to do to prop Reese up and I’ve often said I’m not a Reese hater…, but it’s insane, I honestly don’t get it. I’d love to see the last 10 rookies of the years and how they ranked and you’re comparing a power forward to a guard?

Can someone make this make sense to me? I understand they have some merit, but they’re also deceiving as hell, because I got in a debate with someone again on Twitter “thank the Lord I broke that spell“ I actually finally did a dive on analytics my Lord Almighty first of all, some of them are top heavy to F/C I’ve read, & angel Reeses effective shooting percentage and true shooting percentage are abysmal and her PIE ratings although higher than CC are on the low end of the elite forwards where as CCs rankings are right in the middle of the elite guards and her true shooting percentage and effective shooting percentage are on the high end & significantly higher than a 63 Ford who shoots 5 foot from the basket?

I don’t pay attention to those advanced statistics…they might work in a sport like baseball, but basketball is too different. Baseball is an individual sport played as a team….basketball is a team sport. Like that stupid +\- stat….everyone knows that in last night’s game Copper was the player of the game yet she was -11. Dantas, who played five minutes, had one assist and one turnover and was a plus 2. In the game where Clark had a line score never before seen by a player in the WNBA or the NBA along with 5 turnovers, she was -3. When you watch a basketball game, you know who’s contributing and who’s hurting the team, you don’t need advanced analytics to tell you what you’re seeing.

Want to get really drunk, drink every time the Fever forget there is a shot clock. You'd think it would be one of the assistants jobs to remind them each time they start a possession with a short shot clock until they finally remember there is one.
I looked to me that the shot clock does not reset for a jump ball. Is that correct?

I don’t pay attention to those advanced statistics…they might work in a sport like baseball, but basketball is too different. Baseball is an individual sport played as a team….basketball is a team sport. Like that stupid +\- stat….everyone knows that in last night’s game Copper was the player of the game yet she was -11. Dantas, who played five minutes, had one assist and one turnover and was a plus 2. In the game where Clark had a line score never before seen by a player in the WNBA or the NBA along with 5 turnovers, she was -3. When you watch a basketball game, you know who’s contributing and who’s hurting the team, you don’t need advanced analytics to tell you what you’re seeing.
Exactly.

It doesn't have to be a science project, just the ol' eyeball test is enough to differentiate Caitlin from any other rookie. Basic stats can help, but Caitlin is doing stuff few, if any, other players are doing in the entirety of the W.

First of all, Clark knows far more about winning basketball than Sides. When Sides puts them in a offense that's not going to work, Clark's on court demeanor changes - you can see it. Last night after running the Mercury out of the gym, Sides decides to slow it down and sit on the 30 point lead. She puts Wheeler in and the Mercury's went to a zone defense. The perfect shit storm resulted in a 29 -4 run for the Mercury. [I'll have go back and look, but I think the Mercury when on a 17-0 run starting when Wheeler stepped on the court and Clark went to a secondary option. Clark's demeanor changed to "hey - I just work here."].

Copper goes on a tear and thanks to GM Dunn's personnel decisions, there is not a single player on the team that can defend one-on-one.

Just as she did at Iowa, Clark knows she and her team need to run the whole game. When the Fever run, it masks a lot of their weakness. Clark is so lethal in a running game that it does not matter if it's initiated by a rebound, a steal, a turnover, or a made basket.

You can't rationalize someone's bias. It's tribalism.

The same people who bash Clark no matter what are also the same people praising Bronny James stat line. It is very clear why Reese's fans and supporters have latched on to her and why they dislike Clark.

First of all, Clark knows far more about winning basketball than Sides. When Sides puts them in a offense that's not going to work, Clark's on court demeanor changes - you can see it. Last night after running the Mercury out of the gym, Sides decides to slow it down and sit on the 30 point lead. She puts Wheeler in and the Mercury's went to a zone defense. The perfect shit storm resulted in a 29 -4 run for the Mercury. [I'll have go back and look, but I think the Mercury when on a 17-0 run starting when Wheeler stepped on the court and Clark went to a secondary option. Clark's demeanor changed to "hey - I just work here."].

Copper goes on a tear and thanks to GM Dunn's personnel decisions, there is not a single player on the team that can defend one-on-one.

Just as she did at Iowa, Clark knows she and her team need to run the whole game. When the Fever run, it masks a lot of their weakness. Clark is so lethal in a running game that it does not matter if it's initiated by a rebound, a steal, a turnover, or a made basket.
And since they didn’t have a player who could stop Copper, why didn’t she go into a zone like the Mercury did? When something’s not working, you have to change it. Copper was 3-11 from three…pack it in and make her shoot from deep.

She did the exact opposite on Wednesday which makes this 4th Q effort so frustrating.
I guess the difference was wednesday they were WAY behind, so she just let it rip. Yesterday the Fever were WAY ahead, and I think she tried piling up the assist numbers and goodwill with her team mates. She'll figure the balance out at some point..

Reactions: cmhawks99

Evidently guards don't win shit for awards in the W. Its all bigs. Just another record, or trend that Clark is going to tear up. Just another tidbit I saw today. In the last FIVE games Clark has been responsible for created 232 points!!! Thats an AVERAGE of 47 points/gm that she has scored or assisted on in just the last 5 games. This is yet another ALL time WNBA record. Not rookie record, league record. She is just getting started folks......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT