ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Caitlin, Megan & Kate are playing today Games Thread*****

Man, I never realized how long MG's arms are lol.
Can’t believe I’m saying this about the defending champs, but their post defense looks BETTER with Meg in. Though it appears they like to go zone more with Meg in so it might be the scheme has been effective.

Well that game was unbearable to watch.
no-bears1.jpg

Crazy to me how fast rookies jump from the college season to WNBA season. With like what, two weeks of practice with their new team?
I think they should run the season December-June. Nobody sits inside and watches bball in the summer, especially the WNBA.

Man, I never realized how long MG's arms are lol.

Taurasi is bothered by those long arms when shooting threes. 0-2 with an air ball when Meg is guarding her. Gustafson’s defensive rebounding has been huge for LV. I suspected her +/- was highest at the end of this third, and I was right. +17 is the best by far.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Unfortunately, Caitlin has become a turnover machine in the W. Tonight's game and also the preseason games have been a turnover disaster for her. She has to get that part of her game under control.

Unfortunately, Caitlin has become a turnover machine in the W. Tonight's game and also the preseason games have been a turnover disaster for her. She has to get that part of her game under control.
Has become a TO machine after one game, LOL.

How many point guards have started as rookies in their first WNBA game? (I couldn’t find an answer, but I’m assuming it’s pretty low).

Good News: CC is officially on pace to break the record for total season points by an WNBA rookie -and- made 3PT shots by a rookie -and- WNBA season FT% record.

Bad News: CC is on pace to set the WNBA season turnover record.

Random observations.

Let’s see how well they do when they get Kelsey Mitchell back in the lineup. I think they’ll be better when she’s ready to go.

I was surprised how ineffective Boston was.

I expect Caitlin is going to continue getting the opponent’s best defender, with a lot of help, until someone steps up and helps her out.

Because of that, Caitlin was trying to do too much with the ball.

Their defense was not good. No help. Easy looks at the basket.

Last, Connecticut was a much better team.
Not an easy first opponent.

Wasn’t able to watch tonight but watched some preseason time.

With Boston being an analyst in the winter rather than playing overseas, do we think she was lazy during that time? From what I saw she was out of playing shape and it still sounds like she was tonight.

I still think the Fever have more of a rebuild to do around CC in getting her players that can run up the court every possession. She’s a good half court player needing to learn how to do it against much better defensive players, but she’s a great fast break player in finding her teammates in the open floor.

I wasn't able to watch the Fever game - any estimates on the ratio of turnovers that were clearly her fault vs her teammates not catching passes?

Reactions: HawkGem11
Crazy to me how fast rookies jump from the college season to WNBA season. With like what, two weeks of practice with their new team?

Caitlin's Timeline:

Sun Apr 7........Iowa/South Carolina National Championship game
Mon Apr 15.....WNBA Draft
Wed Apr 17.....CC was in Indy for Introductory News Conference

And then there were just 16 days to prepare before the first real game.

Sun Apr 28:....FIRST DAY of Training Camp
Fri May 3:.......FIRST Preseason Game
Thur May 9....SECOND Preseason Game
Tue May 14.....FIRST Game of Regular Season

Last edited:
Caitlin played a team high 31 minutes.

Her 10 turnovers are the most in a career debut in WNBA history.

The 25 Fever turnovers led to 29 Connecticut points.

Caitlin's team high 20 points ranks 2nd in franchise history behind Hall of Famer Tamika Catchings (23 in 2002) for a Fever player debut.
...............Candace Parker had the highest point total for any WNBA player in her debut, with 34 in 2008.
..............Among No. 1 picks in the past decade, Clark is second to Breanna Stewart (23 points) in 2016.

Becky Hammon giving Meg more first half minutes on a healthy team than any WNBA coach ever has. Clearly values her skill set.

Megan got the 6th most minutes on the team. The Aces only played 8 players. In 15 minutes, Megan only took 2 shot attempts but she was 1-2 (50%) from three, 2-2 (100%) FTs for 5 points and 3 rebounds (1 offensive).

I don't know enough to say for sure, but I get this feeling too. I don't feel like players are being put in positions to succeed and utilize their skills very well and that is a coaching issue. Or, maybe the players just don't know WTF they are supposed to be doing out there. But there needs to be improvement, and quickly. If they still look like this in a month then they need to start looking at making changes elsewhere. I don't care how good the league is, these players aren't this bad.
I kind of feel like the coaching last night is how a Popeyes is run.

I still think the Fever have more of a rebuild to do around CC in getting her players that can run up the court every possession. She’s a good half court player needing to learn how to do it against much better defensive players, but she’s a great fast break player in finding her teammates in the open floor.

IMO, the Fever have a nice foundation and the head coach better get things figured out.

Look at their recent draft picks:

Kelsey Mitchell:...#2 Overall pick in 2018
Nalyssa Smith:….#2 Overall pick in 2022
Aliyah Boston:.….#1 Overall pick in 2023
Caitlin Clark:.....….#1 Overall pick in 2024

Caitlin (3,951) & Kelsey Mitchell (3,402) compiled 7,353 points in college and are the top 2 scorers in Big Ten history.

Eventually, this will be 4 of the 5 Fever starters. All of the listed stats are from the player’s previous season (Caitlin is the only rookie).

CAITLIN CLARK……..22 yrs old, 6’0”....31.6 pts, 7.4 rebs, 8.9 assts
KELSEY MITCHELL...28 yrs old, 5'8”.....18.2 pts, 1.6 rebs, 3.1 assts
NALYSSA SMITH…...23 yrs old, 6'4”.....15.5 pts, 9.2 rebs, 1.4 assts
ALIYAH BOSTON.…..22 yrs old, 6'5”.....14.5 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.2 assts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT