ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Caitlin, Megan & Kate are playing today Games Thread*****

I wasn't able to watch the Fever game - any estimates on the ratio of turnovers that were clearly her fault vs her teammates not catching passes?
4-5 where her teammates had bad hands or stopped running.

She did hit a couple bigs on the break not named Boston.

I expected better finishing around the rim for Indiana but it wasn't there. AB needs to improve her foot work down low. Catch, turn into 2 defenders and get stripped.

Reactions: spiderland

I expected better finishing around the rim for Indiana but it wasn't there. AB needs to improve her foot work down low. Catch, turn into 2 defenders and get stripped.
No way in hell I'm going back and re-watching that shit show to count, but I would say probably 6 to 8 of the turnovers were solely on Caitlin, in terms of players on the floor. It did seem to me that they don't really have an offense they run and it is more or less playing hero ball, so some turnovers were the residue of a bad design. I'm not a coach so I don't know what the design should be, but I know it shouldn't be everyone running around trying to take people 1 on 1, while maybe getting a random screen to help you out.

I wasn't able to watch the Fever game - any estimates on the ratio of turnovers that were clearly her fault vs her teammates not catching passes?

The Fever need to be better prepared. Conn. would blitz her along the sideline and she'd throw the ball away. They needed to anticipate the double team faster and cut at better angles...so I would say, it was the coaches' fault?

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Caitlin's Timeline:

Sun Apr 7........Iowa/South Carolina National Championship game
Mon Apr 15.....WNBA Draft
Wed Apr 17.....CC was in Indy for Introductory News Conference

And then there were just 16 days to prepare before the first real game.

Sun Apr 28:....FIRST DAY of Training Camp
Fri May 3:.......FIRST Preseason Game
Thur May 9....SECOND Preseason Game
Tue May 14.....FIRST Game of Regular Season
Yeah that’s pretty crazy. Other leagues have months of preparation. It might not (probably won’t) be the year the Fever win the championship, but they should gel a lot more as the season goes on.

Can't really disagree other than to say while Fever players weren't making hard cuts to the basket or the passer, CC22 has to realize this isn't college ball anymore and needs to make better decisions. Tough to do when you're doubled, but a few were just bad passes by CC22.

Saw a stat this morning that CC22 was 2-10 with 8 To's when guarded by Conn's primary defender.

• Wow
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Defenders are trying extra hard on CC, that may ease up a bit in time
Why would that be? If anything I'd say teams will look at last night and not change a thing. It also proved that she needs a mid range game. She's going to continue to struggle finishing around the rim and they aren't doing much to help her in running much for getting her open on 3's. But man the bigs from Indiana looked bad last night. I know Boston was the rookie of the year but she was so bad last night. That's just not a very good team.

Boston would frequently get the ball down low, get doubled, refuse to kick it out, and then turn it over,.. To take advantage of what Caitlin brings this team needs make themselves available for the ball and be able to make shots...

Caitlin's Timeline:

Ahhh. The great excuse. She's 21 or 22. At that age she should be able to play every day for months. Heck between the college season and the WNBA season they play less than the NBA does for a season. The NBA plays 82 games in around 7 months not including the playoffs. The WNBA plays 40 games in around 5 months and the College schedule is 32 games in 2.5 months for a total of 72 games in 7.5 months. Again, not including the playoffs. It's not about the number of games. it's about her ability to adapt to better defenses and more athletic players.
Caitlin's Timeline:

Ahhh. The great excuse. She's 21 or 22. At that age she should be able to play every day for months. Heck between the college season and the WNBA season they play less than the NBA does for a season. The NBA plays 82 games in around 7 months not including the playoffs. The WNBA plays 40 games in around 5 months and the College schedule is 32 games in 2.5 months for a total of 72 games in 7.5 months. Again, not including the playoffs. It's not about the number of games. it's about her ability to adapt to better defenses and more athletic players.
I don't think the excuse is she's tired. Rather, I think it is that the parts have not had a chance to fully integrate. With that being said, she must indeed adapt to better defenses and more athletic players.

Still don't know what I did wrong. Tried to participate in a thread and get shit on. Thanks fellow Hawk fans. **** you
Oh it's just for fun. I had one awhile back. Here is a thread explaining it, and it is pretty funny.

After watching the Fever Sun game last night, I watch some of the NBA playoffs. The WNBA is crap in comparison. I can see why no one has watched it all these years.

After watching the Fever Sun game last night, I watch some of the NBA playoffs. The WNBA is crap in comparison. I can see why no one has watched it all these years.
You're comparing a playoff game vs a 1st regular season game?

I don't think the excuse is she's tired. Rather, I think it is that the parts have not had a chance to fully integrate. With that being said, she must indeed adapt to better defenses and more athletic players.
Except for the players on her team

Dude, delivering a WoB is honorable on HR. Nothing to be defensive about.
Here was my contribution:

Why would that be? If anything I'd say teams will look at last night and not change a thing. It also proved that she needs a mid range game. She's going to continue to struggle finishing around the rim and they aren't doing much to help her in running much for getting her open on 3's. But man the bigs from Indiana looked bad last night. I know Boston was the rookie of the year but she was so bad last night. That's just not a very good team.
Because she is the new sheriff in town and a lot people are tired of the cc mania and are going to try a little extra hard to shut her down. Jmo

Reactions: Chuck C
Dude, delivering a WoB is honorable on HR. Nothing to be defensive about.
Ok. Thank you for the explanation. I felt left out and alone just like in real life. I'm struggling in real life and didn't get that it's an honor. Just felt like I was being shit on. Thanks for telling me what the deal is.

Ok my first ever wnba game. My thoughts.: who gives a crap about the fashion show? Wearing Prada? Give me a break. Approved skims commercial!

Watched the first half of aces. Those girls are pretty darn good don't know if Kmart ever got in in the second half. She was riding the bench first half.

The Caitlin Clark debut went about like I thought it would be.... Struggling struggling not sure I want to watch another game like that but I might just to see if she can overcome.

The Fever are likely looking at an 0-4 start to the season, playing Connecticut & the New York Liberty twice each. These were the 2nd & 3rd best teams in the league last year. If they get through the first 9 games 4-5, that will be an accomplishment with their schedule.

Ok. Thank you for the explanation. I felt left out and alone just like in real life. I'm struggling in real life and didn't get that it's an honor. Just felt like I was being shit on. Thanks for telling me what the deal is.
Well, to be fair, you were being laughed at while we laughed with you. Whether you feel shit on or whether you just laugh at yourself is a matter of perspective.

On reflection, it was probably way over hyped that Caitlin could come in and turn this team around right out of the blocks. Basketball is still a team game, and it takes time to get everyone on the same page. They need time to work it out. They have not had much time together. It appears to me that she plays at a much faster pace and the rest of the team is not ready to go that fast. Adjustments will need to be made on both sides. Now watch, she probably will go off for 40 tomorrow night, and my armchair analysis will be precisely what it is, a load of crap.

For sure. I refuse to go down that road. They say the biggest improvement is between game 1 and game 2, so hopefully she and the team do that...
Maybe I will watch another game see if she improves. After last night which was my first ever game for WNBA my thoughts were ... I feel bad she's on that team and I wish she were on the Las Vegas aces.

Reactions: Tenacious E
On reflection, it was probably way over hyped that Caitlin could come in and turn this team around right out of the blocks. Basketball is still a team game, and it takes time to get everyone on the same page. They need time to work it out. They have not had much time together. It appears to me that she plays at a much faster pace and the rest of the team is not ready to go that fast. Adjustments will need to be made on both sides. Now watch, she probably will go off for 40 tomorrow night, and my armchair analysis will be precisely what it is, a load of crap.

I agree with you; they need time. The first day the team was together, practicing, was just 17 days ago.

In the 12 team league, 8 teams make the playoffs. Indiana finished 10th last year. They got lucky to win the lottery for the 2nd straight year.

Chicago, with an 18-22 record, made the playoffs as the #8 seed.

The 4 worst teams:
17-23 LA Sparks
13-27 Indiana Fever
11-29 Seattle Storm
9-31 Phoenix Mercury

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
Maybe I will watch another game see if she improves. After last night which was my first ever game for WNBA my thoughts were ... I feel bad she's on that team and I wish she were on the Las Vegas aces.
I will be watching, but last night we were shocked at how horrible the team looked, how horrible Boston looked, and how there really didn't seem to be a semblance of an actual offense they were running. I also didn't like how the refs called the game, at least in the first quarter. It was the first WNBA game (other than the preseason games this year) I had ever watched and it was not a good product. For others tuning in for the first time, it will probably be the last.

There was a reason they had 1st pick in the draft.

Consecutively! :)

giphy.gif

IMO, the Fever have a nice foundation and the head coach better get things figured out.

Look at their recent draft picks:

Kelsey Mitchell:...#2 Overall pick in 2018
Nalyssa Smith:….#2 Overall pick in 2022
Aliyah Boston:.….#1 Overall pick in 2023
Caitlin Clark:.....….#1 Overall pick in 2024

Caitlin (3,951) & Kelsey Mitchell (3,402) compiled 7,353 points in college and are the top 2 scorers in Big Ten history.

Eventually, this will be 4 of the 5 Fever starters. All of the listed stats are from the player’s previous season (Caitlin is the only rookie).

CAITLIN CLARK……..22 yrs old, 6’0”....31.6 pts, 7.4 rebs, 8.9 assts
KELSEY MITCHELL...28 yrs old, 5'8”.....18.2 pts, 1.6 rebs, 3.1 assts
NALYSSA SMITH…...23 yrs old, 6'4”.....15.5 pts, 9.2 rebs, 1.4 assts
ALIYAH BOSTON.…..22 yrs old, 6'5”.....14.5 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.2 assts
Taking a bunch of scorers doesn't constitute good roster construction. Every team needs players that can fill different roles.

My entire point is that they need to build a running team around CC. Gabbie, Kate, Hannah, etc. all knew how to get up the floor quickly, cut back door, and in general look for the pass and make a move once they get it. The offense moved quick most of the time rather than stagnating with players standing around and watching. Quite the opposite of what we've seen with the Fever so far which is why a lot of people don't expect the coach to last the season.

But in terms of the roster, if Boston can't run the floor on a fast break or be ready to make a move to put the ball in the hoop as soon as she gets a pass, then what good is she on this team? If players can't cut to the hoop to get open, then what good are they? People aren't going to make every bucket but they sure as heck better move on offense. This isn't the 1970s NBA where you just throw the ball into Kareem and watch him do his thing. This needs to be the 1980s showtime Lakers getting up and down the floor before the defense can even get set.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Taking a bunch of scorers doesn't constitute good roster construction. Every team needs players that can fill different roles.

My entire point is that they need to build a running team around CC. Gabbie, Kate, Hannah, etc. all knew how to get up the floor quickly, cut back door, and in general look for the pass and make a move once they get it. The offense moved quick most of the time rather than stagnating with players standing around and watching. Quite the opposite of what we've seen with the Fever so far which is why a lot of people don't expect the coach to last the season.

But in terms of the roster, if Boston can't run the floor on a fast break or be ready to make a move to put the ball in the hoop as soon as she gets a pass, then what good is she on this team? If players can't cut to the hoop to get open, then what good are they? People aren't going to make every bucket but they sure as heck better move on offense. This isn't the 1970s NBA where you just throw the ball into Kareem and watch him do his thing. This needs to be the 1980s showtime Lakers getting up and down the floor before the defense can even get set.

Others have speculated that Boston looked out of shape; I was expecting her to run the floor better. Nalyssa Smith was running the floor well in the 2 preseason games.

My point was that I think the Fever have 2 really good guards in Caitlin & Kelsey Mitchell and 2 really good bigs in Nalyssa Smith and Aliyah Boston. Lets see what they do tomorrow night and what improvement they make moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT