ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Copa America USA 2024 Thread - Begins June 20th***

I don't think they've been outcoached. What more was he supposed to do when one of his players sticks his head firmly up his own ass? You can't predict that.
This. 10v11 from the 18' mark...put us essentially in a 4-4-1 killing our attack.

Angry The Head GIF by HBO ASIA

Reactions: sober_teacher
He got it by default. He's the only person who would do the job for what the US was offering to pay. Until they want to get competitive with the pay scale, we aren't going to any better than this.

Internets say he’s getting 2.1 mil in salary and bonus. That’s not competitive?

I’m asking - don’t know what’s standard

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
With American football still so popular. USA team tends to be small physically — there are not any Micah Parsons size athletes on the U.S. team.

On the other hand, there's not that big a difference between him and the guy who won the World Cup 18 months ago.
That's just Copa America teams though. It doesn't include any of the coaches in Europe or Asia. Still, I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone on these boards that wouldn't take his salary to go out and lose all the big games they play in.

He got it by default. He's the only person who would do the job for what the US was offering to pay. Until they want to get competitive with the pay scale, we aren't going to any better than this.

I don't think it is just the pay though. This still isn't a team that is good enough to win prestigious trophies. We can win the CONCACAF trophies but even with the best coach we aren't going to win Copa America. Certainly not going to win the WC.

I think it ultimately came down to Berhalter or Jesse Marsch. US soccer made their choice and Marsch is coaching Canada.

Reactions: MikeyHawk

BS. The two reds that he handed out were impossible to question. There isn't a referee alive who would not have tossed the guilty party on either of them.
Only gripes I have were the Panama guy who collided with the US keeper probably should've gotten a yellow, and the 2nd half stoppage time was absurdly short.

Okay long rant coming. Screw the ratings I like to do. Let's just say everyone gets a 0 except Balogun.

I'm so frustrated.
I'm so upset.
I'm so tired.

Step 1: Gregg has to be gone. This was a mistake to hire him back, everyone knew it. I'm a high school coach and teacher who is full of opinions and loves this national team. I'm a nobody... I, along with many of you, knew this was a terrible idea. I don't care how many players like him. I appreciate that he gave his all for the crest as a player and coach but it's not working.
He is constantly out coached. He can't figure out how break down teams that pack it in. Teams that have populations the size of Iowa are not afraid of us. Teams like Colombia who are good litetally sat back and let us turn the ball over to them. That resulted in 5 goals and a blowout. We have the athletes, I think, to compete with anyone. Tonight, 10 men or not, having 25% possession is atrocious. We want to make fun of the MLS but that's who we just got beat by. You have to possess to not get gassed and that was clearly not emphasized at all or his players didn't listen. No matter what, there is a clear something missing from our guys when playing for the US. It's not every player, it's not every game but there is a complete lack of consistency in effort, tactics, technical ability, you name it. It's all pathetic.

Step 2- USSF Sporting Director Matt Crocker has to go. He's the one who ran these dumb analytics tests that said Gregg was by far the best man for the job. He hitched his cart to a horse that isn't going anywhere. We are the same as we have always been with talent that's allegedly better than ever. He needs to be held accountable.

Step 3- The players need to take accountability and own up to their inconsistencies. I know I get upset when Reyna, Turner, Musah, Weah, Pepi, etc... don't play for their club teams. It could be that they simply can't play at that level with consistency which is exactly what we see for the US. Also, your country is on your back. I get that is a lot of pressure but you are the best of the best. If that doesn't bring out the ultra competitiveness and passion in players then don't rep the USA.

Step 4- Media, please go after the USMNT like you would any other professional team. I know it is soccer but this is the one team many in this country rally around. Hold people accountable based on fact and truth. I'm not saying you have to put athletes or coaches on blast for everything but praise the good times loudly but hold people accountable when there needs to be accountability. Right now there needs to be major questions asked of the USSF and president Cindy Parlow Cone. This is gross incompetence.

Step 5- Leaders in the USSF are simply not doing enough. We need money to hire an elite coach (hello Jurgen Klopp) to take on a new journey. Say what you want about the US and soccer, MONEY isn't the issue. The US has funds. If they need more I bet you could wipe out about 5 major jobs at US Soccer that nobody knows what these people actually do.

Sorry for wasting people's time who read that. I'm crazy frustrated at all of this. I think if I had a gun to my head and had to choose between US soccer and Iowa football I might be dead. Both have so many issues that will drive me to an early grave, I'm sure.

I'll be in Kansas City rooting on the US to save their own lives in this tournamenr but if it goes south, which I think it will, I'll be leading the chants for change.

Well crap, sounds like the folks who follow this more than I think it's time to get the back up jersey..... My kids just got Brazil jerseys from their tia e tio who live in Brazil, so might as well get some green and yellow.

Well crap, sounds like the folks who follow this more than I think it's time to get the back up jersey..... My kids just got Brazil jerseys from their tia e tio who live in Brazil, so might as well get some green and yellow.
JFC. We can still move on to the quarters. Just move there then, traitor. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: funksouljon
Last night was embarrassing. Weah with a dumb mistake, but why in the world did GGG take out Balo so early when he was the only threat we had going? Why didn't he put in Musah? Watching GGG teams is so hard at times. They come in with a plan and go with it no matter what... like beating your head against a wall. He never seems to have a plan b or c.

Lastly, I agree bringing him back was a mistake. I think he needs to go after Copa. Give Klopp $4-5 million and let him do his thing for the next two years. I promise he can't do any worse then what we have going now and he will be a lot more fun than GGG during media at the WC.

Last night was embarrassing. Weah with a dumb mistake, but why in the world did GGG take out Balo so early when he was the only threat we had going? Why didn't he put in Musah? Watching GGG teams is so hard at times. They come in with a plan and go with it no matter what... like beating your head against a wall. He never seems to have a plan b or c.

Lastly, I agree bringing him back was a mistake. I think he needs to go after Copa. Give Klopp $4-5 million and let him do his thing for the next two years. I promise he can't do any worse then what we have going now and he will be a lot more fun than GGG during media at the WC.

Musah was exactly what was needed in the midfield. The only thing I can think of is that he was playing for a draw.

No. Just a win against an already qualified Uruguay who may be resting some of their best players.
Its funny that our hope is Uruguay rests some players to help our cause. Not exactly the mentality I want from our USMNT. No Dest (injury), no Weah (red card) and maybe no Turner... and we are relying on Gregg to come up with a -plan to beat a top team... something he struggles to do historically.

Its funny that our hope is Uruguay rests some players to help our cause. Not exactly the mentality I want from our USMNT. No Dest (injury), no Weah (red card) and maybe no Turner... and we are relying on Gregg to come up with a -plan to beat a top team... something he struggles to do historically.

Agreed on almost all points. I do think that this US can beat a full-strength Uruguay, but I have very little faith in Gregg. Part of me wants a loss to move on from him and have a better chance at the World Cup.

And yes, Klopp is my #1 choice too, for so many reasons. Give him a free beach house in Malibu.

Reactions: B1GDeal
No. Just a win against an already qualified Uruguay who may be resting some of their best players
If we win, also need to win by enough of a goal differential - could get passed by a big Panama win over Bolivia.

I THINK we’d advance by goal differential if both games end in draws, potentially if Bolivia beats Panama as well.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT