ADVERTISEMENT

****Official Crypto Degen Thread****

First thing you want is control over your money.
The point of savings is preservation of purchasing power.
From investments you seek returns, but savings and investments aren’t really the same things.
Bitcoin has seen a rise in value as a consequence of adoption, but even were adoption to be universal hard money like bitcoin will hold value over time relative to fiat currencies that are debased by their monetary authorities.

I’m not aware of bitcoin being hacked.
I’ve seen over and over where third parties have been hacked (or claimed to have been hacked) and they consequently claim their exchange wallet was surreptitiously accessed, but I’ve never heard of that happening to someone with custody over their own bitcoin.
If you think you have crypto, but you don’t actually have access to transfer while someone else does, you are missing a big point of crypto. We’ll see people with that kind of thinking get robbed over and over.

The risk associated with keeping your money in the banking system is that the monetary authorities debase it per policy. Based on official figures the USD has suffered a 40% decline in purchasing power in just the last 20 years.
That’s not a small risk being absorbed.

The U.S. dollar has lost 40% its value since 2002​

Updated: November 10, 2022
$100 in 2002 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $165.65 today, an increase of $65.65 over 20 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 2.56% per year between 2002 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 65.65%.

This means that today's prices are 1.66 times higher than average prices since 2002, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 60.368% of what it could buy back then.

How much value has bitcoin lost in the last 12 months.

How much value has bitcoin lost in the last 12 months.
Down just over 70%, but that price is over 100% higher than the price 3 years ago, before the global central bank orgy pandemic response. People saving in bitcoin have been protected against what the central banks did, holders of USD have much less purchasing power than they did with the same stack of cash as three years ago.

The central bank printing orgy created a surge in asset values around the globe, and they’re retrenching as leverage is exposed and liquidated.

I’m more focused on where I expect the price of bitcoin to be three years from now, and I expect it to remain on an upward trend relative to USD, irrespective of swings in the meantime.

It’s still thinly held relative to other asset classes, and exposed to large swings as consequence. But I focus more on the trends than the swings.

Back in 2018 I had a conversation with @FSUTribe76 (on the old Warchant forum that was paywalled) regarding what he considered a ‘fair price’ for bitcoin. After some hemming and hawing he finally said $2,000. I got a feeling he wouldn’t sell it to me for that price today or a year from now.

I agree with Seminole, within 2-3 years Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies will be much higher than they are now. Currently they are extremely under pressure. At some point buyers will start to overwhelm sellers and then there will be a short squeeze.

From what I remember reading about the free banking era in the 1800s, organized bank runs to test solvency were fairly common. I thought about this after reading how the various exchanges are moving funds among each other in order to pass their supposed inspections, tests or whatever they are called.

Reactions: Moral

Later on in the spring, Duffy took to Congress and specifically made claims that "FTX [had] set aside insufficient financial resources to back its proposed direct clearing model for crypto derivatives".
"I got berated" at Congress when blowing the whistle on FTX, Duffy says.
You can watch the whole congressional hearing below, but we've cued it up to a heated exchange with Congressman Ro Khanna (pointed out by @ardalyonovich on Twitter) who vehemently defends FTX after Duffy claimed that FTX had "zero capital requirements for participants".

"I think that's, on its face, a false statement," Khanna barks at Duffy.

Khanna then continues to try and lecture Duffy: "Sir I want you to, after this, submit something that is accurate recognizing you're testimony to Congress, you don't know much about cryptocurrencies, you're opining about cryptocurrencies and you're giving false statements to Congress," he continues.

Penn professor and forensic accounting expert Francine McKenna summed it up perfectly when she commented on Twitter:
"Duffy went to Congress and told them FTX was a bankrupt business model and he was ignored just like he was ignored when he said Corzine knew he had used customer funds and knew where the missing $1.6 billion was.

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have the largest short positions ever in their history. Can work going down, if even a decent piece of news comes out, look out.

rPqGWbd.jpeg

Reactions: mnole03
In the last 8 to 9 years years here is the trend of bitcoin. From 2015 to 2018, up 152 weeks, 2018 to 2019 down 52 weeks. from 2019 -2021, up 152 weeks. 2021 to 2022 down 52 weeks so far. On the 4 year trend sure looks like a possibility could be beginning the bottoming process. There have been times in the pas such as 2015 where there was a major bitcoin custody issue where a large amount of bitcoin was lost but bitcoin still bottomed and continued to go back up. As much as people are claiming this is going to go down, there is a massive amount of short interest out there in crypto and crypto stocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral and B1GDeal
It cannot be both a great investment, which goes up and up, and a viable currency, which offers stable value. He argues that crypto assets’ price is based largely on there being an even greater fool who believes the hype. “After 14 years, it is still a solution in search of a problem.”
For over a decade I’ve searched for the crypto bear argument making a case I hadn’t considered. Invariably I find instead someone who doesn’t grasp either the properties of money, or in the case of the fellow, and inability to see a ‘problem’ with this:

inflation.png

Munger is wrong about bitcoin, and the funny thing is he’s wrong because he’s right about where fiat is headed:

Diehl has the grasp of programming and economics
to question crypto from first principles.

He wants crypto to be curtailed instead, as a blow against the post-truth world. “The average person needs to be able to tell you as a matter of common knowledge why investing in assets that have no intrinsic value is a bad idea.”
There is no such thing as ‘intrinsic value’.
All economic value is subjective.
No wonder this guy doesn’t see the problem.

Last post of the second Ackman thread

A guy I grew up with his huge into cryptocurrency and I believe created his own (Bullish I think?). He recently reached out to me about buying in. It's not my thing, so we just exchanged a few messages catching up on life. I decided to search his name on Twitter and he's being accused of being one of the major "bad actors" in the crypto world right now/csb

SBF used a loophole in the Citizens United rule to donate $37M of "dark money" to Republicans "I donated about the same amount of money to both parties this year ... I just didn't disclose the Republican ones bc the media would freak the f*** out"
Not that the media is biased or anything.

Of course he was paying both sides trying to get regulatory approval to control the American market.

A Russian billionaire has become the third top cryptocurrency trader to die suddenly in recent weeks.

Vyacheslav Taran, 53, the co-founder of trading and investing platform Libertex, died after his helicopter mysteriously crashed in a resort town near Monaco.

The vehicle plummeted on November 25 afternoon, killing Mr Taran, who had lived in Monaco for a decade, as well as a veteran pilot.

Libertex said in a statement: ‘It is with great sadness that Libertex Group confirms the death of its co-founder and Chairman of Board of Directors, Vyacheslav Taran, after a helicopter crash that took place en route to Monaco on Friday, 25 November 2022.

A Russian billionaire has become the third top cryptocurrency trader to die suddenly in recent weeks.

Vyacheslav Taran, 53, the co-founder of trading and investing platform Libertex, died after his helicopter mysteriously crashed in a resort town near Monaco.

The vehicle plummeted on November 25 afternoon, killing Mr Taran, who had lived in Monaco for a decade, as well as a veteran pilot.

Libertex said in a statement: ‘It is with great sadness that Libertex Group confirms the death of its co-founder and Chairman of Board of Directors, Vyacheslav Taran, after a helicopter crash that took place en route to Monaco on Friday, 25 November 2022.
Bought the dip, eh?

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
A guy I grew up with his huge into cryptocurrency and I believe created his own (Bullish I think?). He recently reached out to me about buying in. It's not my thing, so we just exchanged a few messages catching up on life. I decided to search his name on Twitter and he's being accused of being one of the major "bad actors" in the crypto world right now/csb

He was trying to get you in early on the pump and dump scheme. You missed out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT