ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Cubs fans need to set their expectations on a 4th place finish in division.

That way, anything higher can be considered an over achievement. What mgmt has done so far in the off season is pretty dam depressing.

I've already lowered my expectations to about zero. Will make listening to Cubs games this season stress free as I have low expectations. I can now just enjoy the broadcast for its entertainment value.

As the Cubs continue to add players from the garbage heap, it’s painfully obvious that upper management has closed the checkbook on Theo. Barring a trade, this team is what it is this season.

My expectations are very low. We have 2 great pitchers in Hendricks and Darvish but nothing after that. Lester will continue to decline. The bullpen will be awful. Hopefully the offensive core have good seasons so we can at least keep this thing competitive.

Cubs need the trade bait guys to have big first half of the season results.

Whether it's WC, Bryant, or KS... those guys can get top minor league guys. The problem will be pitching help. At the trade deadline, teams looking for a trade won't be dealing any current #2/3 level pitchers.

And if someone like Javy doesn't see a chance at the playoffs in 2-3 years... he won't consider the Cubs in free agency.

Going to need to make a 40 man move after Souza and Jeffress are added
They could attempt to slide through a few of the arms they've added over the winter. They could also admit Descalso sucks, and cut him. But, owing to the genius of his agent the Cubs are actually on the hook for several million dollars.
Put Heyward out there and field the flood of offers? ;)

Yeah, it was just a statement of the underwhelmingness of this signing.
Jefferies has a drinking problem. He's was acting kinda weirder than usual last year. Hopefully it's just arm decline and not something else.

It will be interesting to see if Bryant harbors ill will towards mgmt and if it affects his on field performance.

Cubs need the trade bait guys to have big first half of the season results.

Whether it's WC, Bryant, or KS... those guys can get top minor league guys. The problem will be pitching help. At the trade deadline, teams looking for a trade won't be dealing any current #2/3 level pitchers.

And if someone like Javy doesn't see a chance at the playoffs in 2-3 years... he won't consider the Cubs in free agency.
If a lot of trade bait guys have a good first half, then the Cubs will likely be in contention and they won't be traded.

Jefferies has a drinking problem. He's was acting kinda weirder than usual last year. Hopefully it's just arm decline and not something else.
Huh? I know he was injured a lot. Guys with alcohol issues don't normally do well on the North Side. There is temptation in every city, but Wrigleyville is extra tempting.

Huh? I know he was injured a lot. Guys with alcohol issues don't normally do well on the North Side. There is temptation in every city, but Wrigleyville is extra tempting.
Couldn't stay sober in Toronto and I think he had some issues in KC too. Milwaukee he usually was ok.

If a lot of trade bait guys have a good first half, then the Cubs will likely be in contention and they won't be traded.
Except the Cubs have no farm system and aging stars(Heyward/Lester).

You trade guys when they have value. They missed the window on trading KS. You would think mgmt learned their lesson. The Cubs have been just good enough that they haven't been able to snatch elite guys in the draft. If they want to keep Javy happy... they'll make some moves during the season.

The Cubs maintained control of slugger Kris Bryant for the next two seasons after arbitrator Mark Irvings ruled that the team wasn’t trying to manipulate his service time by optioning him to Triple-A Iowa for the first 12 days of the 2015 season, according to reports.

The ruling, which came after a hearing involving the Cubs and the Major League Baseball Players Association, allows the team more time to seek an extension with Bryant, 27, the 2016 National League Most Valuable Player, or trade him.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan was the first to report the news.

Bryant’s representatives unsuccessfully argued that their client should have been placed on the 2015 opening-day roster on the basis of his .425 average, nine home runs and 15 RBIs in 40 at-bats in spring training.

Instead, the Cubs believed Bryant needed more seasoning and opted to start Mike Olt at third base. Bryant was promoted to the Cubs after 12 days in the minors — preventing him, by one day, of earning 172 days of service time, which constitutes a full season and would have allowed Bryant to become a free agent after 2021.

“I think we’re fairly confident in what the outcome is going to be,” Epstein said Dec. 9.

But he did express frustration in how long it took to reach a decision. The grievance was filed in October.

“The timing … is a bit frustrating," Epstein said. "I understand these things take time. … But I think we’re operating with what I think is our understanding of what the likely outcome will be moving forward.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0200129-e5b222gs25eszafztjwlfucogu-story.html

The only thing the Cubs did wrong with Bryant was that they didn't wait an extra week before bringing him up.
Now, we'll get a flurry of trade talk.

Reactions: MitchLL
Except the Cubs have no farm system and aging stars(Heyward/Lester).

You trade guys when they have value. They missed the window on trading KS. You would think mgmt learned their lesson. The Cubs have been just good enough that they haven't been able to snatch elite guys in the draft. If they want to keep Javy happy... they'll make some moves during the season.
They have 4 guys in the top 100. To say “no farm system” is a bit of an overstatement. It’s not the best, but far from the worst.

Seeing as how there are 30 MLB teams, having 4 players in the top 100 prospects list would put the Cubs at about average, depending on where they all ranked in the list.

They have 4 guys in the top 100. To say “no farm system” is a bit of an overstatement. It’s not the best, but far from the worst.
I should have clarified... the farm system pitching prospects are pretty much non existent.

The only thing the Cubs did wrong with Bryant was that they didn't wait an extra week before bringing him up.
Now, we'll get a flurry of trade talk.
Yep... gotta think the Braves, Nats, and Texas are in the market for Bryant.

Bryant for Arenado? What's the advantage for the Cubs? NA will make $32M / year in his contract, has a no trade clause, and can opt out after 2021. Cubs could end up with the same stats as Bryant and only have him for two years? And given Bryant's salary... pay $25M more for those same two years.

Arenado wants out of Colorado pretty badly, maybe he’s wiling to waive some of the op outs to get to a team he would rather play for.

It will be interesting to see if Bryant harbors ill will towards mgmt and if it affects his on field performance.

Ill will maybe....but the action was taken 5 years ago and he's been fine since. He's not going to want to hurt his on-field performance, as he's playing for a big score somewhere. He's never been the pouting type and I don't expect it to start now.

I would give this 100 likes if I could. Arenado has an opt out, which makes things ticklish, but just about every contract with an impact player is ticklish in some way. Arenado is the far superior player, so I would gamble on that. And, if he opts out the Cubs will be positioned to pay him. It's nonsense the Cubs won't pay people. They just won't pay them this year. Once they have more revenue available, and some long term contracts come up, then they'll pay someone.

Good discussion on the Score today. I just heard one bit where Matt Spiegel is filling in for McNeil, and he was intimating that Bryant has drawn himself back in the clubhouse the last two years, and that there is a lot of friction over his unwillingness to try new things with his swing.
I've said many times I don't think he's a Cub after he becomes a FA, and everything trends the way. I used to think if the Cubs offered the most money he'd re-sign, but it's apparent to me he wants to be somewhere else. He's being a pro, and he isn't doing anything in public to make him seem disgruntled, but I think he wants out of town.
Maybe Ross can refocus him, or reach him in a way Maddon wasn't capable of.

Bryant for Arenado? What's the advantage for the Cubs? NA will make $32M / year in his contract, has a no trade clause, and can opt out after 2021. Cubs could end up with the same stats as Bryant and only have him for two years? And given Bryant's salary... pay $25M more for those same two years.

Arenado has won the Gold Glove every year he has played. That would be an advantage. :)

I’d be interested to see what the Cubs have offered Bryant contract wise. If it’s close to what Arenado is making and he rejected it then I see the benefit to the Cubs t go with Arenado. And as someone mentioned, getting out of Colorado and into a major city/team might be enough for him to waive his opt out before trade.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I just bought some tickets for a Spring Training game at Sloan Park. I'm probably part of the problem. They can treat me rudely, but, I keep on buying the tickets.
And, G Dammit, if Fergie Jenkins is signing autographs this year I'm getting one. None of that stupid limit myself to one player BS. Fergie was the starting pitcher at the first Cubs game I can remember going to. Fergie versus J. R. Richard.
I limited myself to a Lee Smith autograph because I didn't want to be too spendy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT