ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Baez got a really nice bump. More than I think he was projected to get. I wonder if that is an olive branch?
I am also curious about Schwarber. I know some of the numbers are weird in these deals, but $7,010,000? I believe that was lower than a lot of projections.

Baez got a really nice bump. More than I think he was projected to get. I wonder if that is an olive branch?
I am also curious about Schwarber. I know some of the numbers are weird in these deals, but $7,010,000? I believe that was lower than a lot of projections.
still overpaid imo :(

Schwarber was under by about the same amount Javy was over, IIRC.

still overpaid imo :(

Schwarber was the 73rd in baseball for FanGraphs WAR (2.6) and 52nd in wRC+ (120). He's an above average hitter and a good power guy. Players like that don't come cheap. Guys within a few spots of him on either stat: Trevor Story, Yasmandi Grandal, Starling Marte, Trea Turner, Marcel Ozuna, Josh Bell, Victor Robles.

Schwarber was the 73rd in baseball for FanGraphs WAR (2.6) and 52nd in wRC+ (120). He's an above average hitter and a good power guy. Players like that don't come cheap. Guys within a few spots of him on either stat: Trevor Story, Yasmandi Grandal, Starling Marte, Trea Turner, Marcel Ozuna, Josh Bell, Victor Robles.
.235 career hitter/33% K rate isn't above average to me.....maybe these days it is? I know I'm just becoming an old man unable to keep up with the times!! :)

He's a below average fielder and base runner imo.

but worst of all is he has to be one of the worst clutch hitters Ive ever watched.

Reactions: natewantofbees
Cubs, Bryant agree to 1-year deal

CHICAGO - Kris Bryant avoided arbitration with the Chicago Cubs, agreeing Friday to an $18.6 million, one-year contract.

Bryant got a significant boost from the $12.9 million he earned last year. He rebounded from an injury-filled season to bat .282 with 31 homers and 77 RBIs.

Royals agree with OF Soler on deal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. The Royals and slugging outfielder Jorge Soler agreed to a $7.3 million contract for next season, allowing the sides to avoid salary arbitration Friday.

The 27-year-old Soler hit .265 with a franchiserecord 48 homers and 117 RBIs last season.

It's being reported that Josh Donaldson has reached a 4 year agreement with the Twins. The thinking is this might get the Kris Bryant Trade talks going again. Apparently the Braves will need a new clean up hitter.

Reactions: win1forthe
It's being reported that Josh Donaldson has reached a 4 year agreement with the Twins. The thinking is this might get the Kris Bryant Trade talks going again. Apparently the Braves will need a new clean up hitter.

There will be no serious KB trade talks until the grievance is resolved. It's only been five years with a clearly defined rule, there's much more work to be done.

There will be no serious KB trade talks until the grievance is resolved. It's only been five years with a clearly defined rule, there's much more work to be done.
Oh, I agree with that, that the grievance needs to be resolved, but unless it goes on indefinitely (how many 2 more weeks have we had now?), I think a team like the Braves could definitely be willing to talk about a deal for him.

Oh, I agree with that, that the grievance needs to be resolved, but unless it goes on indefinitely (how many 2 more weeks have we had now?), I think a team like the Braves could definitely be willing to talk about a deal for him.

For sure, but the cost is so drastically different with 1 year of control vs 2. Teams will wait a bit, but there will come a point where these teams move on.

This actually seems like a competent deal. It's sad that in this offseason it's worth mentioning like it's some kind of a building block.
They got rid of a guy in Kemp who didn't have any options left, and wasn't too flexible roster wise. In return the Cubs get a guy with high upside as a hitter (No power, as of yet), who they can start off in AA.

I can’t figure out how MLB could investigate and rule on the astros in like 4 months but this Bryant thing will take 5 years. What more info could they possibly need?

Regarding Yu Darvish and the Astros cheating story, it sounds like a lot of his previous Dodger fan naysayers have apologized. I would think this story takes a load off his shoulders as well.

I took a look at his game logs for the regular season that year and he had a 1-1 record against Houston with an ERA of 3.00 in 2 June starts. His best start was actually in Houston, going 7 innings with 1 hit and 1 run.

Hopefully he returns to the form we saw in the 2nd half last year.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pitchinglogs.php?p=darviyu01&y=2017

what is the deal with the penalties for going over the cap? anyone know?

is there really a certain amount you can go over w/ ZERO punishments involving intl money, draft picks.....only a cash fine?

From what I understand, it’s a progressive tax of 20% to 50%, depending on how many years you’ve been over threshold.

As for the Cubs, the Ricketts do not want to pay any taxes due to payroll because they have other financial obligations.

imnot a fan of the Ricketts, but I can’t blame them. I have more issues with lack of player development and bad free agent signings.

From what I understand, it’s a progressive tax of 20% to 50%, depending on how many years you’ve been over threshold.

As for the Cubs, the Ricketts do not want to pay any taxes due to payroll because they have other financial obligations.

imnot a fan of the Ricketts, but I can’t blame them. I have more issues with lack of player development and bad free agent signings.
They also lose draft picks and money from MLB share.

Cubs reportedly considering kicking the tires on Jacoby Ellsbury. Even if on a minor league deal, the interest doesn't make a lot of sense since his upside at this point is a 1.0 WAR player with average defense.

I was reading the list of on air talent that the Marque Network will employ this year, and I was mildly intrigued by Lou Pinella. It seems like he'll fill in for the TV crew for a few games a year, and do some limited studio work.

I was reading the list of on air talent that the Marque Network will employ this year, and I was mildly intrigued by Lou Pinella. It seems like he'll fill in for the TV crew for a few games a year, and do some limited studio work.

I love the lineup. Plesac, Sut, DeRo, Demp, Sweet Lou.. sign me up!

Just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Great management. I am so not looking forward to this 2020 season.

hi-res-31ab1959b968f6d097f43eee5a6ac55c_crop_north.jpg

I was against the Kimbrel signing when it happened. Another overpaid pitcher past his prime. Waste of resources.

This summarizes the weird spot the Cubs are in. People are pissed that they're not adding more salary and they're simultaneously pissed that they're paying so much for Heyward, Darvish, Kimbrel, etc.

The inability to develop even a channel of so-so velocity arms to stock the pen and a #5 slot in the rotation meant that the Cubs had to go trade for Q, sign Darvish, trade for Hamels, sign Hamels and sign Kimbrel. Those moves were all expensive in one way or another and it loaded up the payroll at a time when KB, Javy, Hendricks, Schwarber and Contreras have all gotten significantly more expensive in the past couple of years. KB, Javy, Schwarber and Contreras will continue to rise in price up to the point where they're extended, traded or leave via FA.

Theo has a tricky line to ride. We all want an on-going, developing core where some guys move on, some get traded and more young talent is ready to rise to the bigs. In the ideal, you'd have 4-5 players you're paying serious money as your core, maybe another 8-10 guys on solid veteran deals/mid-range arb deals and then you're filling the rest with cost-controlled young guys. A roster like that will probably put your payroll right around $180-210M.

That's actually about where the Cubs are now. They have what I would consider 4 "big" deals - Lester, Heyward, Darvish and KB (he's ahead of the normal arb curve). They have 7-8 of those vet/mid-arb deals, depending on how you count Contreras. The bigger problem, really, is who is getting those contracts. Heyward has been a disappointment and not worth the money for most of the contract. Lester was a fantastic investment and has certainly paid for himself, but this is the back-end that was expected when he signed. The trade for Quintana cost the Cubs a couple guys who might look really valuable now as dynamic cost-controlled guys. Chatwood has been a bust and Kimbrel is on the back side of his career, even as he could still be effective.

If the Cubs had a different mix, but the same offseason, sentiment would be very different. The Dodgers haven't done much and they're still seen as a favorite for obvious reasons. If Chatwood was even a solid 3/4 level starter, Lester still closer to his ace days, and the Cubs had a solid CF and a group of young arms in the pen, I think we'd all be pretty excited right now even without big moves. As it is, we have the payroll of a complete team with what appears to be 1 empty rotation spot and questions in another and no obvious answer at CF and 2B or the leadoff spot, not to mention questions in the bullpen.

Theo now has to figure out how to improve the team while staying within some spending margins (you should be able to win for $208M) all while looking at potentially significant raises for KB, Javy, Schwarber and Contreras coming again next year.

Heyward's was a bad contract, but if not for him 2016 may have never happened. At least he brings elite level defense to the field and he's a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

Darvish, obviously started out bad given his injury situation, and then we also questioned where this guy was mentally. Given his performance the second half of last season and the revelations of Houston's cheating, I'm looking at Yu in a different light now. The mental toll and crisis of confidence that guy suffered because of the Astros cheating, you know, that's the type of collateral damage from that whole scandal that ticks me off. It went beyond stealing signs to gain an advantage and ended up damaging some players legacies and probably effecting them financially. Guys like Darvish, Kershaw, their stories and places in history are probably different if the Astros had not cheated. I think Darvish will be a positive contract for the Cubs going forward as all this stuff is now behind him.

Quintana, never had a problem with this trade and his contract. Yeah, it sucks to give up prospects and see them develop. Obviously would like to have those guys today, but that's how trades work. In return Q has been a dependable, cost controlled innings eater that will give you 200+ innings a year of consistent starting pitching.

Hamels gave the Cubs veteran pitching and did really well for the club. No real issue with him.

Taken individually these contracts aren't horrible, you can spin some sort of positive to each them, but when you add them all together it starts to become a disaster because of the hinderance it places on developing the rest of the roster. And yep, it's all due to the Cubs complete inability to develop some arms in the system they could plug into the big roster.

Then you have the truly bad contracts like Chatwood, Morrow, and the like.

The Kimbrell contract was just throwing good money after bad. It's like Theo is in the poker game, is pot committed, knows he has losing hand after the turn, and is pushing more chips in the middle chasing an inside straight on the river. Theo, just fold and save some chips for the next hand. Quit chasing.

This summarizes the weird spot the Cubs are in. People are pissed that they're not adding more salary and they're simultaneously pissed that they're paying so much for Heyward, Darvish, Kimbrel, etc.

The inability to develop even a channel of so-so velocity arms to stock the pen and a #5 slot in the rotation meant that the Cubs had to go trade for Q, sign Darvish, trade for Hamels, sign Hamels and sign Kimbrel. Those moves were all expensive in one way or another and it loaded up the payroll at a time when KB, Javy, Hendricks, Schwarber and Contreras have all gotten significantly more expensive in the past couple of years. KB, Javy, Schwarber and Contreras will continue to rise in price up to the point where they're extended, traded or leave via FA.

Theo has a tricky line to ride. We all want an on-going, developing core where some guys move on, some get traded and more young talent is ready to rise to the bigs. In the ideal, you'd have 4-5 players you're paying serious money as your core, maybe another 8-10 guys on solid veteran deals/mid-range arb deals and then you're filling the rest with cost-controlled young guys. A roster like that will probably put your payroll right around $180-210M.

That's actually about where the Cubs are now. They have what I would consider 4 "big" deals - Lester, Heyward, Darvish and KB (he's ahead of the normal arb curve). They have 7-8 of those vet/mid-arb deals, depending on how you count Contreras. The bigger problem, really, is who is getting those contracts. Heyward has been a disappointment and not worth the money for most of the contract. Lester was a fantastic investment and has certainly paid for himself, but this is the back-end that was expected when he signed. The trade for Quintana cost the Cubs a couple guys who might look really valuable now as dynamic cost-controlled guys. Chatwood has been a bust and Kimbrel is on the back side of his career, even as he could still be effective.

If the Cubs had a different mix, but the same offseason, sentiment would be very different. The Dodgers haven't done much and they're still seen as a favorite for obvious reasons. If Chatwood was even a solid 3/4 level starter, Lester still closer to his ace days, and the Cubs had a solid CF and a group of young arms in the pen, I think we'd all be pretty excited right now even without big moves. As it is, we have the payroll of a complete team with what appears to be 1 empty rotation spot and questions in another and no obvious answer at CF and 2B or the leadoff spot, not to mention questions in the bullpen.

Theo now has to figure out how to improve the team while staying within some spending margins (you should be able to win for $208M) all while looking at potentially significant raises for KB, Javy, Schwarber and Contreras coming again next year.

IMO people are pissed they have added 0 dollars in MLB contracts this off season. No one realistically thought they would sign Cole, Strasburg, Rendon, Harper, etc... But being outbid for league average Center Fielders and Second Baseman when you have a huge hole is annoying. Being outbid by the Reds and the brewers for guys like Shogo and Eric Sogard is frusturating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT