ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

If both Mills and Chatwood (I think he comes back from the IR in the bullpen) can continue to pitch well, I do not hate a starting rotation of Darvish, Hendricks and Lester in the playoffs with either Quintana, Mills and Chatwood as the #4 and the other two out of the BP. I know there is still a long ways to go but the team looks good and if their "big hitters" start playing better, they should score more.

Just happy to be watching baseball with a couple drinks again until 11:30!

If MIN can beat MIL in extras here, the Cubs will be the only victorious NL Central team tonight.

Either way, the Cubs won and the Cardinals lost. Great night already.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
If both Mills and Chatwood (I think he comes back from the IR in the bullpen) can continue to pitch well, I do not hate a starting rotation of Darvish, Hendricks and Lester in the playoffs with either Quintana, Mills and Chatwood as the #4 and the other two out of the BP. I know there is still a long ways to go but the team looks good and if their "big hitters" start playing better, they should score more.

Just happy to be watching baseball with a couple drinks again until 11:30!
I don't have my hopes up too high for a long playoff run. Nice to be watching again though!!

I don't have my hopes up too high for a long playoff run. Nice to be watching again though!!

I'm not making any grand predictions, but with LA clearly the team to beat in the NL, the Cubs are fully capable of stacking up with anyone else. Hendricks/Darvish/Lester gives them a shot. It's a deep lineup.

I think more than most years, it's going to come down to who is healthy/hot at playoff time. The expanded format means having to win one more series. It's not my ideal kind of season, but it's a far sight better than no baseball.

Nice that the Cardinals can flout the virus prevention rules - get a nearly 2-week in-season vacation - and then be awarded as the 'home team' in one game of both DHs in the last 3 days.

Reactions: lucas80
Nice that the Cardinals can flout the virus prevention rules - get a nearly 2-week in-season vacation - and then be awarded as the 'home team' in one game of both DHs in the last 3 days.
Without a crowd in the stands, there is little to no advantage being home team.

What's your beef again?

Whoa. Did I just watch Craig Kimbrel notch an actual Save - kinda shaky, as usual, but still counts - as a Cub??

tenor.gif

Reactions: lucas80
Home team gets last AB. That's always an advantage - unless its a blowout and its rendered useless.[/QUOTE

The last survey conducted by "Encyclopedia for Sports" showed a 53.6% winning percentage in MLB for the home team. Hardly significant. The absence of fans makes it even less so.

Some people are just looking for excuses when a team is struggling.

Home team gets last AB. That's always an advantage - unless its a blowout and its rendered useless.
IMO, the home team is at a disadvantage if a game goes extra innings, or, even if it is tied going into the last regular inning. The visitors know how many runs they can afford to give up in the bottom of the inning and still win the game, provided the visitors scored in the top of the inning. The home team doesn't always know how to defend if the visitors get a rally going whereas the visitors know they can intentionally walk a hitter or two to help set up a possible DP with a runner on 3rd. The home team won't want to put on any more runners with an intentional walk if possible because they could come around and score and make their at bat in the bottom of the inning that much more difficult. The visitors can always pull the outfielders in if a long fly ball will beat them, where the home team has to always try to minimize the amount of runs they can give up and have to play their outfielders back or at least normal depth.

The home team can only win by, at the most, 4 runs in an extra inning game whereas the visitors could win by any margin.

It's not important to know how many runs will win you a game?
If you say so....

it is 100% as important in extra innings as football ot. You'd have to blind not to see that
53.6%! You'll see a fair amount of "visiting" playoff teams win series this year after the first round in MLB. I quoted you the stats... but you don't believe me... which is fine.

I responded to the poster crying bout the Cards batting last in those games. Cards batting last had NOTHING to do in games the Cubs lost.

IMO, the home team is at a disadvantage if a game goes extra innings, or, even if it is tied going into the last regular inning. The visitors know how many runs they can afford to give up in the bottom of the inning and still win the game, provided the visitors scored in the top of the inning. The home team doesn't always know how to defend if the visitors get a rally going whereas the visitors know they can intentionally walk a hitter or two to help set up a possible DP with a runner on 3rd. The home team won't want to put on any more runners with an intentional walk if possible because they could come around and score and make their at bat in the bottom of the inning that much more difficult. The visitors can always pull the outfielders in if a long fly ball will beat them, where the home team has to always try to minimize the amount of runs they can give up and have to play their outfielders back or at least normal depth.

The home team can only win by, at the most, 4 runs in an extra inning game whereas the visitors could win by any margin.
Sush........We have a Cubs's pity party starting. And I don't know why. The NL Central is, arguably, the worst division again this season. Cubs will walk into the playoffs.

Only real advantage is increasing number of infielders. A home team knowing it only needs 1 run is like a college football team knowing a fg wins it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT