ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Get rid of 3/5 the core (Bryant, Báez, Rizzo, Schwarber, Contreras) as they are going to cost to much and can’t produce when needed. Might as well start over as soon as possible.
I think you keep Baez and Contreras. Javy can not be this bad. The other 3 can go.

Reactions: bdg8
Get rid of 3/5 the core (Bryant, Báez, Rizzo, Schwarber, Contreras) as they are going to cost to much and can’t produce when needed. Might as well start over as soon as possible.
The problem is, if you sell off pieces what would you get in return?

If Bryant becomes a free agent this winter, then he
will not sign up with the Cubs. He feels that he has
not been respected by them

The problem is, if you sell off pieces what would you get in return?
If I'm Epstein, I try and get rid of Schwarber to an AL team, maybe the Royals, and get Merriefield, move Bote to third, let Bryant walk, you also get a legit leadoff guy with Whit. I'm also not sold on Baez, long term. Swings at too many bad pitches and as he proved this year... doesn't hit for average. That core group mentioned has name recognition but has not produced as a group recently. This problem isn't just the Covid year... some of them have been below average for awhile now.

This mess isn't a quick fix.

Last edited:

Depends. This season could make the price for KB and Javy come down. Rizzo has one year left and then he'll be an FA at 32 - he gave up his huge deal when he locked himself up through his 20s. Contreras probably still makes a decent trade chip, but Schwarber is probably worth keeping (especially with DH) until he hits FA.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with cap money going into next year and what happens with arbitration. I think everyone recognizes that this season is weird. There's 100 years of baseball history of guys running hot or cold for 60 games. Heck, IIRC, Rizzo had an awful first half two years ago and still ultimately hit right around his career numbers. So....are you what 60 games says you are, or not? In some cases that will be true, but it's going to be hard to tell. There's also a century of history of guys ripping off huge starts and then vanishing in the 2nd half.

No doubt the Cubs have some tough decisions coming up this off-season. Darvish & Hendricks will be back. Hopefully Marquez or Alzolay can fill at least one rotation spot. Mills will surely get one. Curious whether they'll go after a mid-tier FA type, try to bring Lester back on a short deal or just go young. It'll be interesting to see what they do. It's also going to be interesting to see what happens next year with young players with so many kids getting a forced year off.

Reactions: TheCainer
If Bryant becomes a free agent this winter, then he
will not sign up with the Cubs. He feels that he has
not been respected by them

He will not be a free agent this winter. He lost his case. He will be with the Cubs in 2021 unless the Cubs trade him or he retires.

What's going to be interesting is how many guys who had crappy 2020 seasons (look at Cubs and Astros lineups to name a few) would be willing to take a 1-yr incentive deal to try to play their way back into the picture for a long-term contract.

At some point, you have to score to win.
The Reds, the Brewers, and the Cubs combined to score what, 3 runs in 6 playoff games? The NLC sucked this year. I'm not sure why but all of the teams couldn't hit worth a lick.

Even the ALC sucked in the playoffs, winning just one game.

Apparently both divisions need to schedule stiffer competition for next year in order to survive in the playoffs. tic

Maybe there's something in the Midwest water supply?

It has been hinted at in various venues that the Chicago
Cubs this season lacked mental toughness. Sometimes
a manager can instill this trait in a team. Obviously, rookie
manager David Ross was unable to produce this mindset.

I really hope we play for more than next year in 2021, we need a one year sell off like buy did!.
Everyone they don't extend needs to be shopped. They are not gonna be a WS team next year and the goal shouldn't be to sniff a wild card spot.

Will kb get a pay decrease.... does that ever happen to arb players? Are any of the position players gonna get a pay bump besides happ?

I really hope we play for more than next year in 2021, we need a one year sell off like buy did!.
Everyone they don't extend needs to be shopped. They are not gonna be a WS team next year and the goal shouldn't be to sniff a wild card spot.

Will kb get a pay decrease.... does that ever happen to arb players? Are any of the position players gonna get a pay bump besides happ?

I don’t think you go down in arbitration, only flat and normally up no matter how bad your year was. That is why you see players get cut instead of getting offered arbitration because they still cost to much after down year(s). So 4 of the 5 core will all get paid more next year no matter what. So you really want to pay Bryant $20+ million next year? I don’t. I wouldn’t offer Báez a long term deal until you see how he does the first half of next season. I like Rizzo, and I think his age will play, so I would consider giving him a 2 year extension. But in my opinion, there is no way Bryant is on the team the 1st day of Spring. Either you trade him or don’t offer him arbitration and let him be a FA as I am not paying him another $20+ to be hurt and not hit.

I don’t think you go down in arbitration, only flat and normally up no matter how bad your year was. That is why you see players get cut instead of getting offered arbitration because they still cost to much after down year(s). So 4 of the 5 core will all get paid more next year no matter what. So you really want to pay Bryant $20+ million next year? I don’t. I wouldn’t offer Báez a long term deal until you see how he does the first half of next season. I like Rizzo, and I think his age will play, so I would consider giving him a 2 year extension. But in my opinion, there is no way Bryant is on the team the 1st day of Spring. Either you trade him or don’t offer him arbitration and let him be a FA as I am not paying him another $20+ to be hurt and not hit.
I would be willing to bet kb is a good asset next year on a 1 year 20mm contract. Theres no way you don't sign him. You could trade him tomorrow for prospects. Giving him away for nothing would be nuts imo

The Reds, the Brewers, and the Cubs combined to score what, 3 runs in 6 playoff games? The NLC sucked this year. I'm not sure why but all of the teams couldn't hit worth a lick.

Even the ALC sucked in the playoffs, winning just one game.

Apparently both divisions need to schedule stiffer competition for next year in order to survive in the playoffs. tic

Maybe there's something in the Midwest water supply?
Some poster(s) claimed the NL Central was dogshit all year. The 60 game schedule just highlited it. A combined 1-8 in the playoffs. AL Central was 1-6. That's 2-14, total. Outside of the Cubs, none of the Central teams typically spend much. The Cubs had the opportunity to go on a pretty good run after 2016. For some reason, most of the team ended up being "flash in the pan" type players.

Baez is a great defensive player, but he will never be a franchise type guy. Just don't ever have to throw him a strike to get him out.

And yes, the problem for Theo is that no one has trade value after what we saw the last few years.

Arbitration is not automatic. Sometimes you come to a deal and it doesn't go to arbitration.

All 4 NL Central teams eliminated in the first round of the playoffs ... and all 4 teams were shutout in the elimination game. Oof.

Depends. This season could make the price for KB and Javy come down. Rizzo has one year left and then he'll be an FA at 32 - he gave up his huge deal when he locked himself up through his 20s. Contreras probably still makes a decent trade chip, but Schwarber is probably worth keeping (especially with DH) until he hits FA.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with cap money going into next year and what happens with arbitration. I think everyone recognizes that this season is weird. There's 100 years of baseball history of guys running hot or cold for 60 games. Heck, IIRC, Rizzo had an awful first half two years ago and still ultimately hit right around his career numbers. So....are you what 60 games says you are, or not? In some cases that will be true, but it's going to be hard to tell. There's also a century of history of guys ripping off huge starts and then vanishing in the 2nd half.

No doubt the Cubs have some tough decisions coming up this off-season. Darvish & Hendricks will be back. Hopefully Marquez or Alzolay can fill at least one rotation spot. Mills will surely get one. Curious whether they'll go after a mid-tier FA type, try to bring Lester back on a short deal or just go young. It'll be interesting to see what they do. It's also going to be interesting to see what happens next year with young players with so many kids getting a forced year off.
You think Boras is going to offer any mark downs this offseason?
Baez is fixable at the plate, and the rest of his game is electric. He is a marketing machine, so don't discount that. Contreras is a keeper. I am not sure about anyone else, and I don't know that today wasn't KB's last game as a Cub. he is going to demand more money next season, and, as I have posted before, I think a lot of guys with 1 arb year left are going to be allowed to walk this off season. The owners are going to be stingy without the promise of full stands by next Summer.

Baez is fixable at the plate, and the rest of his game is electric. He is a marketing machine, so don't discount that. Contreras is a keeper. I am not sure about anyone else, and I don't know that today wasn't KB's last game as a Cub. he is going to demand more money next season, and, as I have posted before, I think a lot of guys with 1 arb year left are going to be allowed to walk this off season. The owners are going to be stingy without the promise of full stands by next Summer.

I don't think Boras is going to hand a discount out, but he'll read the room. Arbitration is still the most likely outcome, but if trends say otherwise, KB may make a surprise move.

I still say you don't let KB just walk. I get the revenue thing and that's why I think there may be some deals.

I don't think Boras is going to hand a discount out, but he'll read the room. Arbitration is still the most likely outcome, but if trends say otherwise, KB may make a surprise move.

I still say you don't let KB just walk. I get the revenue thing and that's why I think there may be some deals.
I just don't know what KB nets you. He's coming off a bad year, and another injury. In the crazy world of arb numbers he'll still get a raise. I don't know how many teams will give up something useable for $20 million coming off a tough year.

Unless they have some young guy to plug in at 1B, I would say to keep Rizzo. He is your veteran leadership at this point and I still think he has some game left in him. I think he may be the most dependable clutch player they have, unless you put Bote into the conversation.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
I just don't know what KB nets you. He's coming off a bad year, and another injury. In the crazy world of arb numbers he'll still get a raise. I don't know how many teams will give up something useable for $20 million coming off a tough year.
That's why he needs to start 2021 as a cub...

Right. I'm with you there. I just don't think the Cubs can afford to just walk away now. I think you work the process and do the arb deal. He should be highly motivated to cash the big FA deal. I think the raw talent is worth it.

If I'm Epstein, I try and get rid of Schwarber to an AL team, maybe the Royals, and get Merriefield, move Bote to third, let Bryant walk, you also get a legit leadoff guy with Whit. I'm also not sold on Baez, long term. Swings at too many bad pitches and as he proved this year... doesn't hit for average. That core group mentioned has name recognition but has not produced as a group recently. This problem isn't just the Covid year... some of them have been below average for awhile now.

This mess isn't a quick fix.

At least they don’t have to worry about being stuck with Chapman!!

Reactions: MitchLL
Some poster(s) claimed the NL Central was dogshit all year. The 60 game schedule just highlited it. A combined 1-8 in the playoffs. AL Central was 1-6. That's 2-14, total. Outside of the Cubs, none of the Central teams typically spend much. The Cubs had the opportunity to go on a pretty good run after 2016. For some reason, most of the team ended up being "flash in the pan" type players.

Baez is a great defensive player, but he will never be a franchise type guy. Just don't ever have to throw him a strike to get him out.

And yes, the problem for Theo is that no one has trade value after what we saw the last few years.

The NL Central was the Aroldis Chapman of closers some would say

Chapman sucks. Throws hard but he's no Mariano.

I'd still rather have the assets of the NYY organization than the Cubs'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT