ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2020 thread*****

Caratini has been power deficient this season. I'd love to see him put a charge in one.
Never mind.

Reactions: mstp1992
Wick might have gotten a little extra on the top of the zone right there.

You have to admit he looked bad on that strike out.
Hitting major league level pitching today is pure reaction, reflexes and taking advantage of hitters counts.
There are no mechanics that allow you to take 98mph fastballs and 92mph sliders the other way or execute hit and runs.
I have no idea how hitters even hit today, 95 plus with control and breaking stuff was reserved for a handful of pitchers in the big leagues 20 years ago and through the ENTIRE 20th century.
Now you’ve got complete pitching staffs all throwing mid and high 90s, A slow baller today throws as hard as Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton did.
Facing JR Richard in the 80s was 3 or 4 at bat act of self preservation... surviving the evening to see your family after the game without your jaw wired shut or a skull fracture.
Today, 90 percent of pitchers throw harder than JR

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkifann
What if somebody told you 365 days ago that the 2020 Cubs would have a 5 game lead in the NL Central with 11 to play (albeit a shortened season due to the virus) with the following happening?:

-Yu Darvish pitching like his early Texas/pre-injury days
-Jason Heyward and Ian Happ being the best offensive players on the team
-Javy's lack of plate approach seeming to catch up for him (albeit a small sample size/weird season, and I believe he can bounce back)
-Kris Bryant being dropped in my keeper fantasy league (by the 3-peat league winner)

What if somebody told you 365 days ago that the 2020 Cubs would have a 5 game lead in the NL Central with 11 to play (albeit a shortened season due to the virus) with the following happening?:

-Yu Darvish pitching like his early Texas/pre-injury days
-Jason Heyward and Ian Happ being the best offensive players on the team
-Javy's lack of plate approach seeming to catch up for him (albeit a small sample size/weird season, and I believe he can bounce back)
-Kris Bryant being dropped in my keeper fantasy league (by the 3-peat league winner)

Better yet, if you go give your pre-COVID self 4 facts and ask yourself to pick the Cubs record, what would you say based on the following:
  • KB, Rizzo, Contreras, Javy and Schwarber all have OPS below .800
  • Happ and Heyward have been the best offensive players by far
  • Quintana and Chatwood have combined for only a few appearances
  • Kimbrell was a mess for half the season and the bullpen is only semi-settled
I wouldn't have predicted a 5 game division lead and a tie for 2nd best record in the NL with 11 games to go, that's for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT