ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🚽*****

It looks like Cam Smith it getting a bump to AA. Might as well, he'll get a few more games as the A ball teams are done for the year, and TN is in the playoffs.
Wow. This guy is on the same fast track that Shaw has been. What are the Cubs going to do with all these infielders (other than non-tender or trade Paredes, Madrigal, Mervis and Wisdom)?

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the score this morning. I don't have much confidence in a Hendricks start, but Buehler didn't have much of anything from the start. And, the offense sustained the pace throughout the game.
Now you just need to split the next two games, and the match up on Wednesday is favorable for the Cubs. Yamamoto tonight is making his first start in a few weeks, so we might have a good shot by getting into their bullpen early

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the score this morning. I don't have much confidence in a Hendricks start, but Buehler didn't have much of anything from the start. And, the offense sustained the pace throughout the game.
Now you just need to split the next two games, and the match up on Wednesday is favorable for the Cubs. Yamamoto tonight is making his first start in a few weeks, so we might have a good shot by getting into their bullpen early
I read somewhere that Yamamoto is only scheduled go 3 innings, so it does look promising to get into their bullpen again.

Reactions: lucas80
I read somewhere that Yamamoto is only scheduled go 3 innings, so it does look promising to get into their bullpen again.
That seems pretty likely. Yamamoto hasn’t pitched in the bigs since June 15 and he’s only made 2 rehab appearances, both 2 innings long (7 hitters and 10 hitters). I would guess they top him out around 45-50 pitches, so that’s probably about 3 unless he’s crazy efficient.

Wow. This guy is on the same fast track that Shaw has been. What are the Cubs going to do with all these infielders (other than non-tender or trade Paredes, Madrigal, Mervis and Wisdom)?
Smith's bat is not as refined as Shaw's, but I believe he has the higher power potential. I'd say he's a full year behind Shaw developmentally. Meaning, I don't see him above AA next year. Which is fine, you have to keep churning bodies through the organization.
To your point, I hope this offseason has some movement at a few positions. Once Bellinger makes his decision Jed has to figure out what he wants to do at 2B, 3B, and C. The most likely improvement at C involves trading talent in order to get a starting catcher in return. I don't see any meaningful changes coming in the outfield other than Suzuki getting a few more games as DH. And, they have multiple tough choices to make this offseason when it comes to OF depth pieces. Canario and Davis both have to move up, or move on.

Smith's bat is not as refined as Shaw's, but I believe he has the higher power potential. I'd say he's a full year behind Shaw developmentally. Meaning, I don't see him above AA next year. Which is fine, you have to keep churning bodies through the organization.
To your point, I hope this offseason has some movement at a few positions. Once Bellinger makes his decision Jed has to figure out what he wants to do at 2B, 3B, and C. The most likely improvement at C involves trading talent in order to get a starting catcher in return. I don't see any meaningful changes coming in the outfield other than Suzuki getting a few more games as DH. And, they have multiple tough choices to make this offseason when it comes to OF depth pieces. Canario and Davis both have to move up, or move on.
I do think there are questions in the OF and 1B. I think the only positions on complete lockdown are Happ in LF, PCA in CF and Dansby at SS. Seiya could be traded or go to much more DH. Busch is plenty athletic to play a solid 2B (it’s where he’s spent the most time in the minors). Obviously 2B, 3B and C have doubts as you noted.

This is one of those offseasons where this team is too close with too many guys in the last two years of their deals to not do much and just wait around, so they’re going to have to look for a couple upgrades somewhere. I don’t think they turn over all of those positions, but once Belli makes his choice, the Cubs will have to target their guys, be aggressive and then work out what they have to in order to make it all work. Moving Busch, for example, wouldn’t be my first choice, but if there’s a major 1B upgrade bat that fits the bill, then sliding Busch over could be a downstream move.

Reactions: TheCainer
Good for him, but I wonder why? He's been in South Bend, so this would skip the AA level. Both Tennessee and Iowa have 6 games left, I think? Unless there is some injury that requires a body in Des Moines, I don't get it. He isn't exactly mashing the ball this year. This year for him was all about seeing if he could play baseball at a high level again after his hip surgery.

Good for him, but I wonder why? He's been in South Bend, so this would skip the AA level. Both Tennessee and Iowa have 6 games left, I think? Unless there is some injury that requires a body in Des Moines, I don't get it. He isn't exactly mashing the ball this year. This year for him was all about seeing if he could play baseball at a high level again after his hip surgery.
My best guess is that there’s some organizational planning for the last week or so to figure out where he was going to play. I wouldn’t read anything into it being AAA vs. AA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT