ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

boom smile GIF

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
So if Bellinger has big year again, it will be the same thing next off season?
Probably, but it gives the Cubs young prospects another year to develop into MLB ready players. If they do develop, the need for Bellinger won't be as high from the Cubs perspective.

It’s looking more and more likely that Happ and Suzuki won’t make the opening day roster. With the resigning of Bellinger and the emergence of Brennan Davis. They will be the highest paid players in the minor leagues.

Good deal for the Cubs and Cody.

Now I’m feeling greedy and want to see if we can get one of the big free agent pitchers out there? Yes? Please?
Curious to see if Bellinger ever got offered anything near 150. The market is telling guys right now if you’re not elite consistently. You will not get 250 million dollar deals at least this year.

So if Bellinger has big year again, it will be the same thing next off season?
There was a significant amount of luck in some of those soft contact hits. Doubt he’ll repeat last years numbers. It will still be very good just not at the level he hit.

Curious to see if Bellinger ever got offered anything near 150. The market is telling guys right now if you’re not elite consistently. You will not get 250 million dollar deals at least this year.

Unless you sign in LA.

Are they over a billion in contracts now? Hard to compete with that

Reactions: tumorboy
Unless you sign in LA.

Are they over a billion in contracts now? Hard to compete with that
Well but look at those guys they signed Freeman, Betts, Otani., and the import. Only one of those guys have not been elite every single year for multiple yrs. The one being an import with crazy high tool set.

Cubs gotta make a 40-man cut w/the Belli signing. Several on the roster are ripe trade bait (Mervis, Vazquez, Madrigal, Wisdom, Davis), but only the pitching staff has players that I'd consider at risk of being DFA'd and released (Kilian, Thompson). I wonder what the move will be.

I like this lineup, but not enough room on the 26-man for everyone:

CF PCA/Tauchman
2B Hoerner/Mastrobuoni
SS Dansby
1B Bellinger/Wisdom
LF Happ/Davis
DH Morel
RF Suzuki/Canario
3B Busch/Madrigal
C Gomes/Amaya

Makes sense that PCA, Davis and maybe Mastrobuoni will start at AAA, unless Madrigal and/or Wisdom are traded.

Reactions: lucas80
It’s looking more and more likely that Happ and Suzuki won’t make the opening day roster. With the resigning of Bellinger and the emergence of Brennan Davis. They will be the highest paid players in the minor leagues.
If they both make the opening day roster, will you disappear from this thread forever?

Cubs gotta make a 40-man cut w/the Belli signing. Several on the roster are ripe trade bait (Mervis, Vazquez, Madrigal, Wisdom, Davis), but only the pitching staff has players that I'd consider at risk of being DFA'd and released (Kilian, Thompson). I wonder what the move will be.

I like this lineup, but not enough room on the 26-man for everyone:

CF PCA/Tauchman
2B Hoerner/Mastrobuoni
SS Dansby
1B Bellinger/Wisdom
LF Happ/Davis
DH Morel
RF Suzuki/Canario
3B Busch/Madrigal
C Gomes/Amaya

Makes sense that PCA, Davis and maybe Mastrobuoni will start at AAA, unless Madrigal and/or Wisdom are traded.
They have a few days to sort things out, but I think they’ll deal someone like Madrigal or Mervis. They have a bunch of pitchers with no options right now, and a lot to sort out over ST.

There was a significant amount of luck in some of those soft contact hits. Doubt he’ll repeat last years numbers. It will still be very good just not at the level he hit.
Meh. I’ll leave it to the metrics weirdos, but luck can also mean that he was good at shortening up his swing with 2 strikes last year and punching one the other way.

Good thoughts on Cooper by Brett Taylor. This is an interesting move after adding a few depth guys this past week. Cooper has some options given his production, so he probably saw a path to the MLB roster, or Jed did, meaning a move is in the works.

I’ve mentioned my fascination with Ballesteros before. He’s a hit guy who has to get better as a catcher, or find another spot to play. Tough given his size. I watched part of the game today and good Lord he’s gotten thicker over the Winter somehow.

First two starts, his line really pops in a couple directions:

10.1 innings, 3 hits, 3 ER, 22 K, 10 BB, 1 HBP.

His command was definitely better 2nd time out. He doesn’t get hit much at all, but does often set up his own problems with the walks and HBP. He’s hardly the first guy to be in this situation and some guys figure it out. Others narrow down what they throw and become top-end relievers. We’ll see what his path is, but as noted, his ceiling is still sky high.

As we all await a 40 man move, Sahadev Sharma over at the Athletic is predicting a trade involving a pitcher, with a prospect in return. It makes sense, and it shows how much the system has improved over the last few years. There isn't anyone on the 40 many to cut without squinting at.

As we all await a 40 man move, Sahadev Sharma over at the Athletic is predicting a trade involving a pitcher, with a prospect in return. It makes sense, and it shows how much the system has improved over the last few years. There isn't anyone on the 40 many to cut without squinting at.
I’m seeing chatter about talks with the Rays about Keegan Thompson, but it all stems back from one account I don’t know well that cites “Source”, which could just be the cat in mom’s basement….but he’s the type that would make sense. Has some value, maybe you can get one of the Rays top 10-15 prospects in return that wouldn’t require a 40-man spot.

There are two Japanese players and Ian Happ who can be cut very easily.

3 years younger than Horn. 27 starts at AA last season and 124 IP with decent results. Horn was not the guy I wanted off the 40-man, but it's better than losing him in the R5D I guess. I hope that Luke Little is available, ready and durable when the BP inevitably needs some left-handed help this season...

Think the Sox want Madrigal back, too? 😂

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT