ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

$250,000 ($7.8 million today). Incredible that you could build cathedrals to baseball for so little money. Makes you wonder why we need billion dollar stadiums these days.

Would like to see something retro like this built today for cheap. I think it would be an awesome venue to watch a ball game.

00-stadium-1930view.jpg
Well, when you have to import the steel to build these edifices, that may have something to do with it. Labor costs, land purchases, may also have something to do with it.

Reactions: darylhawk
Hmmmm, BN is reporting that Matt Mervis and Hayden Wesneski are joining the team from AAA. Wesneski makes sense if it's a straight swap for someone, but if Mervis is coming up is Happ going on the IL, and where is Mervis going to play? I guess we'll find out fairly soon, although I'm not sure there will be a game tonight.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...e-calling-up-matt-mervis-and-hayden-wesneski/
Yeah this is going to be interesting, as a pitcher has to be going on the IL for Wesneski to come back this quick. Also talk on BN of Little possibly coming up too, which would mean 2 pitchers to the IL. If so I've got to imagine Hendricks is one of the pitchers. Maybe hide him on the IL to see if he gets his pinpoint command back, as otherwise I can't see Counsell running him out there anymore

Reactions: hawkirugged17
Well, if it is Cooper, part of the reason to keep him out of ST was to add right-handed balance. Now you have two left-handed hitting first basemen. Three if Bellinger takes a start or two there.

Well, if it is Cooper, part of the reason to keep him out of ST was to add right-handed balance. Now you have two left-handed hitting first basemen. Three if Bellinger takes a start or two there.
Wisdom is there (none of them except Belli are good at D). I think it’s to set up a DH platoon.

I imagine the pitcher going to the IL is either Hendricks or Smyly (or both). Smyly was getting some attention on his drive leg before going out to throw his 2nd inning Sunday.

How can the Cubs get rid of Garrett Cooper and keep Happ and Suzuki? Cooper was outplaying those two bums all season. Jed Hoyer and Carter Hawkins are going to be unemployed because of Happ and Suzuki.

Hendricks going to the DL was about as big as the news as Bacon transferring out.

Cubs celebrated with the series opening win vs Space City.

If they’re going to DFA Cooper, might as well option Alzolay and bring CJE back.
I’ll be shocked if we don’t see a pitcher currently at Iowa that isn’t on the 40-man roster later this week. Cubs are starting 16 games in 16 days for a pen that’s already been fried and struggling on the regular. Edwards is certainly one likely dude.

Reactions: TheCainer
So, who do you think the starter will be on Saturday? Brown has earned the role, but if they are going to groom him for high-leverage BP situations, maybe they'll go with Wes. That would leave Thompson as the 2-3 inning guy out of the pen.

Jury is still out on Brewrer, Neris and Almonte are both looking better since their garbage starts to the season, Little has been solid and Leiter has of course been lights-out. An open 40-man spot may indicate that there will soon be a return of CJE or Brad Wieck.

Alzolay is a black hole at the end of the BP right now. He needs to either go to the minors to figure things out or be given a diminished role as he works through it; he simply can't be sent out there as the closer anymore.

If the team handles the Alzolay situation correctly, then things may actually be in pretty good shape with the pitching staff as we await the return of Steele and Merryweather.

So, who do you think the starter will be on Saturday? Brown has earned the role, but if they are going to groom him for high-leverage BP situations, maybe they'll go with Wes. That would leave Thompson as the 2-3 inning guy out of the pen.

Jury is still out on Brewrer, Neris and Almonte are both looking better since their garbage starts to the season, Little has been solid and Leiter has of course been lights-out. An open 40-man spot may indicate that there will soon be a return of CJE or Brad Wieck.

Alzolay is a black hole at the end of the BP right now. He needs to either go to the minors to figure things out or be given a diminished role as he works through it; he simply can't be sent out there as the closer anymore.

If the team handles the Alzolay situation correctly, then things may actually be in pretty good shape with the pitching staff as we await the return of Steele and Merryweather.
If this lineup continues to hit well I wouldn't be shocked if our trade deadline move is focused on a closer. I thought I saw in the offseason we were attached to Cleveland's guy. Anyway I agree Steele and Merryweather returning makes the bullpen above average to at least solid/good.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t see a pitcher currently at Iowa that isn’t on the 40-man roster later this week. Cubs are starting 16 games in 16 days for a pen that’s already been fried and struggling on the regular. Edwards is certainly one likely dude.
I think the bullpen is in better shape than it may appear. The main guys haven't been needed as much lately as earlier on in the season.

As far as "struggling," that's also been skewed by a few guys. I just took a look at the last 11 games (starting with the Mariners series), and if you look at the guys currently in the bullpen outside of Alzolay (so, not counting Smyly or Palencia, either), our BP has 31.1 IP, 2 ER (0.58 ERA), 32 K and 15 BB.

So, I think the pieces of the puzzle are closer to being together than it may seem. We could certainly use CJE or Wieck to come up and help, and have Merryweather be as effective when he returns. The biggest wild card is Alzolay and how Counsell and the organization decide to handle the situation.

Good question on Saturday. Brown would certainly be worthy of starting, but they have definitely been using him to stabilize the pen. Counsell has said said multiple times that he likes Wesneski as a starter, so it could certainly be either guy.

Alzolay has been demoted at this point and I think we’ll see Counsell just play matchups and hot hand for a while for the closer role. It’s not ideal, but I don’t think he’s in a rush at this point to declare “the closer”.

As for Brewer, I think he’s just filler. If he starts throwing great, awesome, but I think they’ll move on from him quickly if he struggles.

I think the bullpen is in better shape than it may appear. The main guys haven't been needed as much lately as earlier on in the season.

As far as "struggling," that's also been skewed by a few guys. I just took a look at the last 11 games (starting with the Mariners series), and if you look at the guys currently in the bullpen outside of Alzolay (so, not counting Smyly or Palencia, either), our BP has 31.1 IP, 2 ER (0.58 ERA), 32 K and 15 BB.

So, I think the pieces of the puzzle are closer to being together than it may seem. We could certainly use CJE or Wieck to come up and help, and have Merryweather be as effective when he returns. The biggest wild card is Alzolay and how Counsell and the organization decide to handle the situation.
While I agree with your position that the BP is in better position than it might look, the numbers you cite are a little misleading. One issue this pen has had is being effective from the jump when they come in. I don’t have the numbers handy, but a lot of inherited runners have scored and then that pitcher does well when they come back out to start the next inning. It has been getting better, though.

Cubs will hopefully have some good lifts coming. Steele should be back within a couple weeks, which will free up whoever is filling that 5th starter role to work in the pen or go to Iowa to stay stretched out. Merryweather hopefully comes back at full strength in late June and then another interesting guy to watch is Caleb Kilian. A lot of people had written him off, but he looked genuinely good in the spring before his injury. If he can get back to full health, he could be a very interesting addition around the All Star break. He was pumping high 90s with great command.

Broken rib apparently. Don’t know extent of break. 10 day IR. Didn’t look like hard contact watching it live.
4-12 weeks from chatter. It's a broken bone after all, and it's in the ribs, so swinging a bat will be impossible for awhile, then a ramp up period of a few weeks.
We just can't have nice things.

• Sad
Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Good question on Saturday. Brown would certainly be worthy of starting, but they have definitely been using him to stabilize the pen. Counsell has said said multiple times that he likes Wesneski as a starter, so it could certainly be either guy.

Alzolay has been demoted at this point and I think we’ll see Counsell just play matchups and hot hand for a while for the closer role. It’s not ideal, but I don’t think he’s in a rush at this point to declare “the closer”.

As for Brewer, I think he’s just filler. If he starts throwing great, awesome, but I think they’ll move on from him quickly if he struggles.
Part of Saturday will be determined by tonight, I think. If JT doesn't turn in a decent performance it shuffles things up.

Reactions: hawkifann
4-12 weeks from chatter. It's a broken bone after all, and it's in the ribs, so swinging a bat will be impossible for awhile, then a ramp up period of a few weeks.

Well shit.

PCA - it’s your opportunity. Don’t screw the pooch.

Reactions: QChawks
It's been updated now to 2 cracked ribs.🤪

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT