ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

Haven't paid attention to how Leiter has been doing for the Yankees; but like that they are promoting one of the players that came back in the trade to see how he can handle MLB hitters for the rest of the year.

Haven't paid attention to how Leiter has been doing for the Yankees; but like that they are promoting one of the players that came back in the trade to see how he can handle MLB hitters for the rest of the year.
Leiter has been really bad for NYY. They might not want to trade for Cubs relievers anymore as Effross has been hurt basically the whole time since we traded him there

With Javy coming back I started to think of some of the other guys who were jettisoned 3 years ago, and I thought of Kris Bryant. I defended him here and elsewhere over charges he hit meaningless homers, and didn't apply himself fully. Well, I don't know anymore. It appears he's shut himself down for 2024 from some of the reporting I've seen. Injuries are a thing, but he's 32 and hasn't played a full season in 3 years. He's hit 17 homers in 160 total games since being signed by the Rockies, and seems quite content out of the spotlight.
He was on a HOF trajectory, and it just seems like a waste of talent.

I think the injuries destroyed his career. He really wasn’t the same after getting plunked in the face and the shoulder thing seemed to nag for years.

Leiter has been really bad for NYY. They might not want to trade for Cubs relievers anymore as Effross has been hurt basically the whole time since we traded him there
In fairness, anyone watching Leiter Jr over the last couple of years could tell you a couple things:
1. He’s not a closer
2. He’s consistently at his best when he comes into dirty innings

Yanks have been using him in ways he’s shown to be less effective.

With Javy coming back I started to think of some of the other guys who were jettisoned 3 years ago, and I thought of Kris Bryant. I defended him here and elsewhere over charges he hit meaningless homers, and didn't apply himself fully. Well, I don't know anymore. It appears he's shut himself down for 2024 from some of the reporting I've seen. Injuries are a thing, but he's 32 and hasn't played a full season in 3 years. He's hit 17 homers in 160 total games since being signed by the Rockies, and seems quite content out of the spotlight.
He was on a HOF trajectory, and it just seems like a waste of talent.
A hitting coach I know here that played in the Rockies org and is still pretty well connected there says the general rep KB has within the org is that he’s the nicest guy you’d ever want to meet and also exceedingly soft. I know that second hand, and I will always wish KB the best, but that’s what I’ve heard.

It looks like the Cubs get out from underneath the $9 million option Neris had for next year. I am curious as to what they saw this week that they didn't see prior to this week that made them cut him now?

It looks like the Cubs get out from underneath the $9 million option Neris had for next year. I am curious as to what they saw this week that they didn't see prior to this week that made them cut him now?

Good question. Put him on waivers on Saturday and there were no takers.

See ya Neris. Don’t ever come back.
I know it's hard to call a 1-year, $9M contract a "disaster" in this day and age, but the consequences of this decision by the organization was enormous - he was relied on SO much, and he absolutely sucked and seemed to make everyone around him suck more. The Mancini contract was worse and the Barnhart contract was almost as bad, but at least they had the sense to dump those guys before they caused irreparable damage to the season last year. He's not solely responsible for this disappointing season, but I'll always wonder "what if" if the team finishes just a few games out of the wildcard, which seems to be a likely outcome.

I assume it was just their position in the standings. If they were very much in the hunt instead of very much on the fringe, I bet he’d still be here and the Cubs would be dealing with the option and potentially even letting it vest.

I know it's hard to call a 1-year, $9M contract a "disaster" in this day and age, but the consequences of this decision by the organization was enormous - he was relied on SO much, and he absolutely sucked and seemed to make everyone around him suck more. The Mancini contract was worse and the Barnhart contract was almost as bad, but at least they had the sense to dump those guys before they caused irreparable damage to the season last year. He's not solely responsible for this disappointing season, but I'll always wonder "what if" if the team finishes just a few games out of the wildcard, which seems to be a likely outcome.
Not sure how you can make the argument that he “seemed to make everyone around him suck more”. However you slice this pen statistically, it’s in the top half of baseball and it’s near the very top since June 1. Neris hasn’t made Tyson Miller, Jorge Lopez, Porter Hodge, Drew Smyly suck in any way, shape or form.

Games played. He hits 60, boom, he gets next years deal. He closes 45, boom, he gets next years deal.

Pretty simple decision with 40 odd games left.

Good question. Put him on waivers on Saturday and there were no takers.

Mary Mary Singing GIF by We TV

Games played. He hits 60, boom, he gets next years deal. He closes 45, boom, he gets next years deal.

Pretty simple decision with 40 odd games left.
Maybe. But, I’d say @hawkifann has a point. They’ve given up but don’t want to say it out loud. They need a spot for Neely who figures more prominently into next year’s bullpen. I assume Jed and the fellas have a handle on this, but is it possible the union gets into it with the Cubs if this was an attempt to get out of the innings / finished games clause?

I’ll always wonder “what if” if Ian Happ and Seyia Suzuki weren’t on this team.

Maybe. But, I’d say @hawkifann has a point. They’ve given up but don’t want to say it out loud. They need a spot for Neely who figures more prominently into next year’s bullpen. I assume Jed and the fellas have a handle on this, but is it possible the union gets into it with the Cubs if this was an attempt to get out of the innings / finished games clause?
I’d be surprised if the union gets involved. He hasn’t been lights-out. While I’ve defended him to some extent when he was 18-22 in save chances, his ERA in save spots was over 6. Also, while the Cubs ducked out of dealing with his option, this is less egregious than just giving him the Ethan Roberts treatment for the last 3 weeks or cutting him an appearance short. Taking this route now also frees him up to join a contender down the stretch, which I assume he’ll do.

The Cubs likely shopped him at the deadline, but that option was probably hindering trades, too. Now the option is gone and any contender is welcome to sign him for the pro-rated league minimum, which means you can get a guy with a ton of really good post-season experience with no concerns of long-term obligations who won’t cost you more than a few hundred K. I could argue that given where things already stood, the Cubs actually did him a solid.

The Cubs did a huge disservice to this kid bringing him up when he wasn't remotely ready.

So...does Hoyer consult with Counsell or does Counsell not have input?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The Cubs did a huge disservice to this kid bringing him up when he wasn't remotely ready.

Not remotely ready? In 48 minor league innings, he had a 2.42 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 76 Ks to 17 walks. It was fine to bring him up. He had a bad debut. It happens. Ben Brown absolutely sucked in his debut. I think he’ll be fine.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
How does one watch the Cubs these days? May be the first year I haven't watched a single game and am too lazy to look it up. The few times I've actually clicked on a game (directtv) its always on a channel I don't have.

Well, to be fair, Neely was acquired for Leiter who has pitched 9 1/3 innings for the Yankees, given up 16 hits, 6 runs and 2 HRs already. So, let's call it a draw. :)

Well, to be fair, Neely was acquired for Leiter who has pitched 9 1/3 innings for the Yankees, given up 16 hits, 6 runs and 2 HRs already. So, let's call it a draw. :)
Leiter kinda sux.

But I was more referring to the Cubs, who still have a chance, though small, to make the post season.
Putting him in, in a 2 run game...

How does one watch the Cubs these days? May be the first year I haven't watched a single game and am too lazy to look it up. The few times I've actually clicked on a game (directtv) its always on a channel I don't have.
Drinking before the game starts helps.
Or, the Marquee app if you don't have access on whatever TV package / system you have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT