ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

Busch came close to 6 games in a row. He should have a few more cracks at it.

Lots of extra base hits in the 5th for the Cubs ... like to see it.

They also added 2 triples.
They started the night tied for 21st in MLB in doubles.

EDIT: I didn't realize this but they are dead last in MLB with only 2 SBs. Minnesota, Colorado, and St. LOUIS are just above them with 4 each. Cincy leads with 32 for comparison.

Last edited:
This game is like a 5 car pile up. I can’t help myself but to slowly go past without taking my eyes off of it.

Reactions: HawkBall23
The Cubs are not good for my blood pressure.

In a game where you have 11 runs scored (so far), a Grand Slam, multiple 2Bs and 3Bs ......

but only have a 1-run lead going into the 9th inning.

Stands to reason a former Cardinal would beat the Cubs in a game they had no business losing.

And how is Hendricks still on the Cubs' roster? That guy is an easy 5-spot for the opposition anymore nowadays

clapping applause GIF

Reactions: IaHawks03
Give Kyle one more start; trade some of your young assets to get a serviceable closer. 3 blown saves for Alzolay.

13-4 would certainly look a lot better than 10-7.

Reactions: HawkBall23
Brewer = Meh. He's an arm that if they don't get much out of can be thrown on waivers. If he makes it back through, fine. I guess they didn't want to add a prospect, which isn't bad at this time of the year.

For the second day in a row one of our gold glove winning infielders have gifted the Diamondbacks a run. Still, we have the chance to come home with a series win, and a solid 5-4 road trip record. Hopefully Wesneski can soak up at least one more inning, leaving the bullpen only 1-2 innings to cover.

Cubs win! Lots of heroes today, especially Wesneski. 4 IP 1 H 0 R. Give Swanson some credit for legging out that hit to 3B which started the 2 run rally in the 8th. Also, Morel turned in a couple of really nice plays at 3B.

Reactions: blhawk and lucas80
Good win to claim the series and the road trip, but I have a minor quibble. As I was watching the 9th inning I wondered about pulling Wesneski with a 3 run lead and nobody on base. It seemed like too much of a manage by the numbers move to bring in Smyly to face two left handers. Yes, I know Wesneski has had problems with left handed hitters, but why not let him go out there when he's looked so good, and wasn't tiring? Why not save that bullpen a little?
So, Smyly gives up the solo homer to Pederson and the tension goes up slightly.

I wonder if Alzolay has already broken the MLB record for blown saves via the 8th/9th inning HR in March/April? And there's still almost 2 weeks left...

I wonder if there's any way Counsell will give Ben Brown a shot at the role?

Brewer = Meh. He's an arm that if they don't get much out of can be thrown on waivers. If he makes it back through, fine. I guess they didn't want to add a prospect, which isn't bad at this time of the year.
Without being rude about it, I think they wanted an older arm that they could abuse in the near term if they have to. Brewer knows the drill.

Reactions: lucas80
Good win to claim the series and the road trip, but I have a minor quibble. As I was watching the 9th inning I wondered about pulling Wesneski with a 3 run lead and nobody on base. It seemed like too much of a manage by the numbers move to bring in Smyly to face two left handers. Yes, I know Wesneski has had problems with left handed hitters, but why not let him go out there when he's looked so good, and wasn't tiring? Why not save that bullpen a little?
So, Smyly gives up the solo homer to Pederson and the tension goes up slightly.
I would have left him in to at least face Joc at least. If he gets hammered there, then sure, go ahead to Smyly. Drew has thrown a lot lately, too, so I did wonder about that. Just happy it worked out and the Cubs escaped that house of horrors.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
I would have left him in to at least face Joc at least. If he gets hammered there, then sure, go ahead to Smyly. Drew has thrown a lot lately, too, so I did wonder about that. Just happy it worked out and the Cubs escaped that house of horrors.
JP strikes out a lot, and that is another reason to leave Wesneski in. Yes, JP has pop, but I still would have left Wesneski in. It just made sense to try and save another usage by Smyly today.

Reactions: hawkifann
I was reading the post game wrap up on BCB and they mentioned that the I-Cubs were in Des Moines last night, and the call came in very late to get Brewer and Wesneski to Phoenix. Marty Peavy was called to let the players know, but he couldn't get ahold of Wesneski. He must be roommates with Matt Mervis, because Peavy had to call Mervis to knock on Wesneski's door to wake him up to receive the news around 01:00. Wesneski caught a 4 am flight to Chicago, then flew to Phoenix arriving. at the ballpark 90 minutes before first pitch.

At the risk of jinxing him, Morel has looked pretty solid lately at 3rd. He's made some nifty grabs, and displayed a more than adequate arm. He just needs to build consistency.

Reactions: TheCainer
I was reading the post game wrap up on BCB and they mentioned that the I-Cubs were in Des Moines last night, and the call came in very late to get Brewer and Wesneski to Phoenix. Marty Peavy was called to let the players know, but he couldn't get ahold of Wesneski. He must be roommates with Matt Mervis, because Peavy had to call Mervis to knock on Wesneski's door to wake him up to receive the news around 01:00. Wesneski caught a 4 am flight to Chicago, then flew to Phoenix arriving. at the ballpark 90 minutes before first pitch.
Let’s be serious here. The Cubs don’t have access to a private jet to get a player they need to where they’re playing? Come on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT