ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

Nico saving 2 runs there. Hell of a play. Hendricks doing a hell of a job limiting this offense.

Whoops - spoke too soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
Celebration Win GIF by Marquee Sports Network

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Glad the team is doing well, but I share the concerns with the studio commentators on Marquee after the game about how hard Alzolay has been hit early on. Hopefully he can get back to his early-mid-season 2023 form.
He’s earned some runway. Also worth noting that he’s primarily faced the defending champs and a loaded Dodgers team. He shouldn’t get unlimited runway, but he’s earned a reasonable sample size.

I was glad to read on thecubreporter.com this morning that Carl Edwards, Jr. was again signed to a minor league contract. Any further opt-out date was not disclosed. CJ had a solid '22-'23 with the Nationals, and he looked great in Spring Training. As much as I'd like to think that our bullpen is going to be lights out, we have 3 righties in early ARB years with no options left who have been shaky at times (Almonte, Leiter, Merryweather) and it would not shock me if any of them were to completely lose it this year and need to be DFA'd. I'm glad to have CJ at Iowa as someone who might be able to help the Cubs later this season.

From TCR:

Edwards had previously signed a 2024 minor league contract with the Cubs in February, but opted out and became a free-agent when he was not added to the MLB Active List (26-man roster) or MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) by the fourth day prior to MLB Opening Day. Because Edwards was a post-2023 MLB Article XX-B free agent, when he signed the first minor league contract prior to the start of Spring Training he had the automatic right to opt out if he was not added to the 40 by the fourth day prior to MLB Opening Day, although he could have waited and opted out on May 1st if he had not been added to an MLB Active List (26-man roster) or MLB 60-day IL by that date, or he could have opted out on June 1st if he had not been added to an MLB Active List (26-man roster) or MLB IL by that date.

However, because he is no longer considered a post-2023 Article XX-B free-agent, Edwards no longer has the automatic opt out rights he had under his previous minor league contract, but that would not preclude Edwards and the Cubs from agreeing to one or more contractual opt outs on dates satisfactory to both parties (TBD).

Also, because he has Article XIX-A rights (meaning he has accrued at least five years of MLB Service Time), Edwards cannot be sent to the minors without his consent if he is added to the 40 at some point in 2024 (he is out of minor league options, so this only applies to him being sent outright to the minors if & when he is added to the 40).

When Morel first came up I made this comment-

‘He’s handy all over the diamond. Can he hit?’

It turns out that he hits like a ton of bricks but his glove is made of iron.

Behind the plate having a shit day today. Two pitches he keeps giving to Yamamoto on the edges he doesn't give to Wicks.

Been very inconsistent... I think Busch was the batter where he called a strike on the outside edge a ball, and the the next pitch was a ball outside and he called it a strike for a punchout.

How the **** are you supposed to hit when the zone changes pitch by pitch.

Either Yamamoto is very precise with his pitches or the HP umpire has a bit of an expansive strike zone. Two called 3rd strikes with the bases loaded hurts.
There were some misses. Will be interesting to see the ump scorecard. I don’t think the ump was so bad as to have swung the game, but on one AB, Swanson took 2 pitches off the outside corner, both called strikes, the last one for the K.

I could t help but wonder how good Yamamoto would have looked in a Cubs uniform if he’d been a serious FA candidate. That’s legit front end stuff.
At least we didn’t trade for Shane Bieber…

I could t help but wonder how good Yamamoto would have looked in a Cubs uniform if he’d been a serious FA candidate. That’s legit front end stuff.
At least we didn’t trade for Shane Bieber…
Did the Mets sign BAuer?

Either Yamamoto is very precise with his pitches or the HP umpire has a bit of an expansive strike zone. Two called 3rd strikes with the bases loaded hurts.
I wish baseball cared more about creating a tradition of getting calls right instead of clinging to a past where missed calls impact the outcomes of games.

Especially when they put the technology that could fix this on the broadcast for everyone to see. NBA or NFL would have taken care of this years ago. It's ridiculous

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT