ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

Well, the positives after the first 2 games after the AS break are:

1. The BP has pitched 8.1 innings of shutout baseball
2. And...

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.png

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
I don't think we are going to get fooled again this year that we can get to the playoffs.
And yet the team really isn’t built to sell. 3 no-trade clauses, only a couple expiring contracts. Even as I wish they’d just effing go for it and spend more, they spend enough to compete, but they’re doing it so poorly. They could trade Taillon, but then you have to replace him for next year, so that’s just buying another guy on the FA market. If a team takes Bellinger, I’m in for clearing his player options. Nico could be an interesting trade.

The pitching (Hendricks & the bullpen in particular) have gotten a bunch of attention this year, but it’s the offense that’s KILLING this team. They had Gallen on the ropes multiple times, including a 2nd and 3rd with nobody out and couldn’t score. Hendricks wasn’t perfect today, but the Cubs gave up 3 runs. You should be able to win that kind of game.

I'm going to throw out there another big concern for the entire athletic training staff and perhaps all the pitching coaches. There is no way that every single pitcher on the team should have arm problems. It's absolutely absurd. The Cubs have to go out and buy another retread journeyman pitcher every few weeks just to fill the active roster...until he gets hurt, too, then do it again...

Reactions: TheCainer
I'm going to throw out there another big concern for the entire athletic training staff and perhaps all the pitching coaches. There is no way that every single pitcher on the team should have arm problems. It's absolutely absurd. The Cubs have to go out and buy another retread journeyman pitcher every few weeks just to fill the active roster...until he gets hurt, too, then do it again...
I’m actually less concerned with the arm problems (that’s kind of just pitching in 2024) and more concerned with the surrounding soft tissue injuries - obliques, rib fractures, neck “stress reactions”, etc. Cubs have had so many of those this year that I have to wonder about strength/training practices.

Reactions: lucas80
I’m actually less concerned with the arm problems (that’s kind of just pitching in 2024) and more concerned with the surrounding soft tissue injuries - obliques, rib fractures, neck “stress reactions”, etc. Cubs have had so many of those this year that I have to wonder about strength/training practices.
I've seen a few posts on different sites that say the Cubs are about middle of the road when it comes to injuries, but there is always room for improvement.

I've never really been a fan of robot umps, but when you see garbage like that it becomes more palatable. And, the atrocious call on Morel clearly affected Swanson's approach. He swung at two balls that were low and out of the zone because Ortiz had called that same pitch out of the zone a strike several times today.
I didn't understand why Counsell didn’t get himself thrown out of the game after the series of bad calls.

WTF has he done for this team? He sure the didn’t support the players Friday.

I didn't understand why Counsell didn’t get himself thrown out of the game after the series of bad calls.

WTF has he done for this team? He sure the didn’t support the players Friday.
I think he was trying to bait the umpire to respond to him so he could come out and get tossed. I generally assume umpires know they are missing a few calls, especially with instant feedback to k zones. They can hear fan reaction to replays. Unless your a raging moron like Joe West or Angel Hernandez you know it.

Two interesting posts on Bleed Cubbie blue yesterday;
1. This season is pining for the fjords.
2. Hector Neris is tied for the team lead in wins, and leads the team in saves. That is one crazy stat. Supposedly it hasn't happened since the 1950s when a Pirates pitcher finished the season leading his team in wins and saves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT