ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Iowa Indiana Gamethread*****

Indiana made a lot of headway on D ... only to lose that defensive coordinator. How much impact will that end up having on the execution of their D this next year?

Penix is clearly an excellent QB and they return some high-level WRs too ... Fryfogle is amazing. Thus, there will be some potential mismatches in the passing game. However, on the flip side, Iowa's secondary really should be quite experienced ... and pretty darn talented too.

Penix is coming off of an ACL tear ... so how comfortable/confident will he be on it in game 1? Indiana's OL did do an excellent job of protecting the QB last year (if memory serves).

Will Iowa's D be able to manage a pass-rush to not force our secondary in coverage too long?
Will Iowa's O make things difficult on a pretty talented Indiana D?

Should be a good match-up.

Hoping Penix is back for the opener. He’ll be right at 9 months post-surgery so that will be cutting the recovery timetable close. I won’t be surprised if they have to manage his work load early, alternating he and Tuttle, how NU did with Thorson (post ACL) and TJ Green in early ‘18. If Penix isn’t quite ready, it will be Tuttle-time. IU just lost their 3rd string, mostly running QB, to injury for the season also. Look for McCulley to get in at least 3 games if Penix not ready to go.

All but 2 of IU’s starting defenders return for what hopefully will be as good or better D than last year. The 2 losses were at DT and S. Leading the league in forced TOs last year certainly helped.

IU running game has to improve. Stevie Scott is gone and he had to make a lot of his yards on his own. Sampson James needs to take hold of the RB job as there is a pretty good one pressing him in Baldwin. The OL was good in pass pro, but run blocking, not so much. IU OL did pull in a UM T’fer who will likely start at C or G. Whop is gone, but the other top 3 WRs return, plus an FSU Grad transfer in the slot.

I look forward to a great game. Any news of this becoming a Thursday or Friday night game yet??

Reactions: Moral
KF's teams usually need to play a couple of games before they shake the rust off. We sure don't have that luxury this year. Hope we are ready to go right from the git go.

Hoping Penix is back for the opener. He’ll be right at 9 months post-surgery so that will be cutting the recovery timetable close. I won’t be surprised if they have to manage his work load early, alternating he and Tuttle, how NU did with Thorson (post ACL) and TJ Green in early ‘18. If Penix isn’t quite ready, it will be Tuttle-time. IU just lost their 3rd string, mostly running QB, to injury for the season also. Look for McCulley to get in at least 3 games if Penix not ready to go.

All but 2 of IU’s starting defenders return for what hopefully will be as good or better D than last year. The 2 losses were at DT and S. Leading the league in forced TOs last year certainly helped.

IU running game has to improve. Stevie Scott is gone and he had to make a lot of his yards on his own. Sampson James needs to take hold of the RB job as there is a pretty good one pressing him in Baldwin. The OL was good in pass pro, but run blocking, not so much. IU OL did pull in a UM T’fer who will likely start at C or G. Whop is gone, but the other top 3 WRs return, plus an FSU Grad transfer in the slot.

I look forward to a great game. Any news of this becoming a Thursday or Friday night game yet??
Not as of yet. It would be about the only weekend that a Friday night game could take place. Iowa has said no to Friday night games, with the exception of Labor Day weekend. I suppose Black Friday could be at night at some point in the future, but Big 10 is hesitant to put late November games in Iowa at night.

This game should be highly competitive. How much/effective Penix is for this game right away is really a key to the game.

Reactions: Moral and 4IUSox2
AND WHY THE HELL IS PETRAS IN THE GAME?!?! HE COULDN’T WATER IF HE WAS STANDING ON A BOAT IN THE OCEAN!
HEY PETRAS!
images

...I lost my train of thought.

3rd and 6 and our DB’s are giving 10 yards of cushion.

I’ve seen this play too many times.

Reactions: Moral
Is anybody gonna make a prediction? If Pennix is healthy he will be by far the best QB we see all year and not close. I think our D at least the back 7 will be salty. Iowa 27-23.

I think you guys will struggle against our defense. Just too much speed and depth on that side of the ball. Our LB core and Secondary is the best I’ve ever seen it here.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT