ADVERTISEMENT

***OFFICIAL: Iowa vs. Colorado Game Thread***

should be a tough game

Five facts:

1. Iowa All-American Caitlin Clark should move closer to the record for points in a season by a Big Ten player. She has 912 points, two behind second-place Rachel Banham (Minnesota, 2015-16). Iowa’s Megan Gustafson set the record with 1,001 in 2018-19.

2. The Hawkeyes are 4-4 all-time in Sweet 16 games, the most-recent win coming in 2019 against North Carolina State.

3. Colorado lost a first-round NCAA game in Iowa City last year, 84-78 to Creighton, which went on to upset Iowa in the second round. The Buffaloes are in the Sweet 16 for the first time in 20 years.

4. Four Colorado players average double-figures scoring, led by 6-foot-3 senior center Quay Miller (13.1), who is in her second year at Colorado after spending two years at Washington. She went to high school at Kentridge, about 20 miles south of Climate Pledge Arena.

5. Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said Thursday that key reserves Hannah Stuelke and Molly Davis are “as close to 100 percent as you can be this time of year.” Stuelke (7.0 ppg) didn’t play against Georgia after turning her ankle in practice the day before. Davis (4.1 ppg) left the game briefly after an opposing player fell on her leg.

Miller is the key. Whoever guards her needs to stay out of foul trouble.
I wonder if we see more O'Grady, Ediger, and/or Goodman tonight to keep a fresh body on Miller and protect / spell Czinano as I presume she would guard her. Of the starters, the next logical would be Warnock I presume.

I wonder if we see more O'Grady, Ediger, and/or Goodman tonight to keep a fresh body on Miller and protect / spell Czinano as I presume she would guard her. Of the starters, the next logical would be Warnock I presume.
I don't think Monica can guard her. Hopefully Hannah is healthy enough as she would be the likely choice.

We might see more zone too, maybe some junk defense on their shooters.

Reactions: skydog0784
Hannah is 100% athletic enough but I'm not sure she has the experience to stay out of foul trouble if the whistles are flying.

Reactions: skydog0784
I predict Czinano will guard Aaronette Vonleh who is a more traditional paint-bound post player. Quay Miller, though 6'3'', plays on the perimeter as much as in the paint, so I predict Warnock and Stuelke will guard her.

If Colorado goes to a one post lineup that might change.

Also, we will definitely mix in some 2-3 zone.

I predict Czinano will guard Aaronette Vonleh who is a more traditional paint-bound post player. Quay Miller, though 6'3'', plays on the perimeter as much as in the paint, so I predict Warnock and Stuelke will guard her.

If Colorado goes to a one post lineup that might change.

Also, we will definitely mix in some 2-3 zone.
I agree with all of this. I think we'll see a lot of 2-3 zone specifically to deal with Sherrod.

As you can see, CU plans to be "physical," especially when guarding CC. Will we see a "you can't call a foul every time" type of game?

Safety Helmet GIF by Just Seconds

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Number of Hawks fans making the trip? Hundreds or thousands?

Iowa fans are all in on this team - I'm betting thousands!

Nice looking arena (Climate Pledge Arena)

What's interesting is that 2 regions (8 teams) are playing here (just like in Greenville).

Seattle Region 4 games are Fri & Sun (Colorado vs Iowa; Ole Miss vs Louisville)

Seattle Region 3 games are Sat & Mon (Ohio St vs UConn; Tennessee vs Virginia Tech)

Fr7AZH7acAAgT6R

Fr_hLehWYAAm7UD

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Being reported that the lower bowl at Climate Pledge Arena is almost sold out and they were considering opening the curtains for the upper bowl.

Fr7KD--aYAUr9_k

Last edited:
Reactions: NevadaHawk
Villanova came from 21 down to take the lead, but couldn't hold on, losing to Miami 70-65. Siegrist ends with 1081 points, 2nd all-time to Plum. Clark is currently at 912 on the season.

Hannah has the potential to be a great one eventually. Ol' Doodle loves what she's offered up to the team this year and her confidence and stuff. That said, statements about loving physical play and the resultant "and ones" kinda lose their luster when you're a 46% free throw shooter.

Villanova came from 21 down to take the lead, but couldn't hold on, losing to Miami 70-65. Siegrist ends with 1081 points, 2nd all-time to Plum. Clark is currently at 912 on the season.

The Greenville Regional 2 Championship game:

#9 Miami vs

#2 Utah or #3 LSU (and Kim Mulkey)

FsAC-FbaMAAT-wR

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT