ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Ohio State at IOWA Games Thread (May 5-7)*****

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Ohio State is sitting second from the bottom of the B1G standings. The Hawks are currently considered an NCAA Tournament team. They need to prove it by taking care of business this weekend.

There is no midweek game next week. Next weekend (May 12-14), of course, we host Michigan State, which is currently considered an NCAA Tournament bubble team.

Right now, as you can see in the standings below, there is clear separation between the top 8 teams (make the B1G Tournament) and the bottom 5.

The 3 game schedule:

Fri May 5
Fireworks Friday
6:05 pm CT
Streaming: B1G Plus

Sat May 6
1:00 pm CT
TV: BTN

Sun May 7
1:05 pm CT
Streaming: B1G Plus

CURRENT STANDINGS (from @Alum-Ni 's thread)
1. Maryland (31-15, 11-4)
2. Michigan State (28-13, 10-5)
3. Indiana (31-14, 9-6)
3. Michigan (22-20, 9-6)
3. Nebraska (24-17-1, 9-6)
6. Iowa (32-11, 8-6)
7. Purdue (21-22, 10-8)
8. Rutgers (27-18, 8-7)

------------------------------------------

9. Illinois (19-22, 8-10)
10. Penn State (24-15, 6-8)
11. Minnesota (12-30, 5-10)
12. Ohio State (22-23, 5-13)
13. Northwestern (8-31, 3-11)

Last edited:
Reactions: oxHawk
To listen to the game live, here are a couple options:

(1) Click on this link and scroll down to "Listen Live: Ohio State at Iowa."

(2) Varsity Network app:

For any Learfield game broadcast, you can listen to the pregame show, the game & the postgame show for free.

The steps:

* Download "The Varsity Network" app.

* For iPhone users, GO HERE:

* For Android users, GO HERE:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sidearmsports.varsitynetwork.audio&hl=en_US&gl=US

* Set up your account

* Simply select "The University of Iowa" as the school you want to listen to.

* Under Upcoming streams you will see links for the games.

* If Learfield is broadcasting the show or game (football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, Hawk Talk with Kirk, Fran, or Lisa, etc), you can listen here.

* This is app only (the Varsity Network does not have a website to go to and listen).

* There are ON DEMAND podcasts; check that tab out.

Thanks for posting! Still wish there was an app that tracked the game and pushed notifications/alerts (e.g. scoring, etc.) to your phone/watch. Maybe there is and I'm not aware!

That said, let's carry the football recruiting momentum (Kaleb!) over to baseball and at least win the series! Hopefully the weather cooperates and we don't have a DH.

+10 / -69 on the RPI ladder for today’s game.
Must've been some indirect games I missed last night, Iowa dropped from #38 to #40.

A decent amount of RPI indirect points on the board if things break our way.

The few teams directly ahead of us in RPI all have some tough series and UC Santa Barbara will LOSE 13 points for each win this weekend, wow..

Thanks for posting! Still wish there was an app that tracked the game and pushed notifications/alerts (e.g. scoring, etc.) to your phone/watch. Maybe there is and I'm not aware!

That said, let's carry the football recruiting momentum (Kaleb!) over to baseball and at least win the series! Hopefully the weather cooperates and we don't have a DH.

BigO - I'm not aware of an app like the MLB app which tracks the game and pushes notifications to your phone for certain game events.

But, you can track the game as it progresses on your phone without watching on BTN or listening via YouTube/Varsity App. If you follow @UIBaseball on Twitter, you'll eventually see a tweet which provides "how to follow" links. That information for tonight's game hasn't yet been posted (tweeted). Below is an tweet from the Illinois State game. You simply click on the link after the emoji that looks like a graph and it will launch a program that provides "game status" updates in relative "real time" including current ball/strike count on hitters. Admittedly, it is nowhere near as sophisticated and helpful as the MLB app but - if I can't be in front of a TV or listen to the game - I use that feature to follow along. Take it for what its worth. Who knows? Maybe you were already aware of it.

Must've been some indirect games I missed last night, Iowa dropped from #38 to #40.

No "official" indirect games (ie Iowa's previous opponents) last night. But, there were a number of other games played last night that impacted Iowa's RPI. ND beat #26 NC State and Missouri beat Ole Miss which is why both of those teams jumped over Iowa in the RPI race.

Reactions: BigOHawk
BigO - I'm not aware of an app like the MLB app which tracks the game and pushes notifications to your phone for certain game events.

But, you can track the game as it progresses on your phone without watching on BTN or listening via YouTube/Varsity App. If you follow @UIBaseball on Twitter, you'll eventually see a tweet which provides "how to follow" links. That information for tonight's game hasn't yet been posted (tweeted). Below is an tweet from the Illinois State game. You simply click on the link after the emoji that looks like a graph and it will launch a program that provides "game status" updates in relative "real time" including current ball/strike count on hitters. Admittedly, it is nowhere near as sophisticated and helpful as the MLB app but - if I can't be in front of a TV or listen to the game - I use that feature to follow along. Take it for what its worth. Who knows? Maybe you were already aware of it.

Yes thanks, typically I'll go to UI Baseball schedule, then find the game, then 'Statcast' and follow real time there and the above link probably accomplishes the same thing. Sometimes when doing yard work, mowing, etc it's nice not taking out phone and scores and inning endings are pushed to phone, that is great advantage of Yahoo Sports especially for football, it has scoring/red zone/quarter end push notifications so in a busy/quiet area where you can't check the phone your smartwatch can help you...Go Hawks!

It's one of those statistical anomaly things.

Could be where one game you rack up a ton of walks vs one pitcher, and then strike out a ton vs the next.

That's the inconsistency from game to game that you get at this level, especially with below average teams.

We've seen Iowa struggle from game to game like this in the past. They'll beat a team 10-3 and then turn around and lose 2-1. And then rally to win 7-4 in the final game.

Just so much inconsistency, and that's how you get that stat for Ohio State.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Awesome, so we should at least get 5 runs against this guy and hope our elite prospect pitchers don't give up 6+ just because!!!! :D

If Brecht can throw strikes, he'll be in good shape. That's a big "IF" over the last few outings but his inning of work against ISU was efficient. Maybe a sign that a mechanical issue had been worked out? Good step in the right direction.

I expect that neither McGuire nor Heller will have much patience with any pitcher who struggles throwing strikes this weekend. Quick hooks . . .

Take 2 of 3 and you still fall by 7-8 spots in RPI.

Bingo. That's the harsh reality for this series. Iowa would find itself in the mid to upper 40s ('22 Rutgers territory) heading into the weekend series against the Spartans. Winning that series would almost certainly allow for Iowa to regain some of that lost ground but, damn, there (once again) is very little wiggle room.

The Hawkeyes really need Brecht to set the tone right out of the box and for the offense to put some runs on the board early. Get into OSU's head right from the start. A duplicate of the buzz saw effort/performance against Nebraska (sorry @Alum-Ni ) is very much needed.

It's one of those statistical anomaly things.

Could be where one game you rack up a ton of walks vs one pitcher, and then strike out a ton vs the next.

That's the inconsistency from game to game that you get at this level, especially with below average teams.

We've seen Iowa struggle from game to game like this in the past. They'll beat a team 10-3 and then turn around and lose 2-1. And then rally to win 7-4 in the final game.

Just so much inconsistency, and that's how you get that stat for Ohio State.

In '22, the B1G league leader in walks struck out the second most times while the league leader in strike outs was second in walks. Lots of potential explanations as for why that occurs.

In '22, the B1G league leader in walks struck out the second most times while the league leader in strike outs was second in walks. Lots of potential explanations as for why that occurs.
The leading one is that they're watching a lot of pitches and getting behind in counts, perhaps knowing that pitchers will try to pitch around them.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
True depending on what happens om your indirect games and other teams within plus minus 10 RPI spots.
When I looked at the Indirect Games earlier today, I didn't see a lot of favorable match-ups for Iowa. I'm not expecting much, if any, help at all.

EDIT: Quinnipiac lost to 3-30 Hartford.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOHawk
Oh my. Ohio State’s radio “guy” was just interviewed pre-game. He could not have painted a less attractive situation for Buckeye baseball. Brutal. Injuries. Inconsistency. Basically said that OSU may throw 6 pitchers in two of the three games this weekend. Haven’t had an announced Sunday starter all year. Said that their first year coach has been surptised at level of talent in the B1G. Will have as many as 15 new players next year. Stated that OSU will be lucky to get one game.

FvZb6EjWwAM4fGy

Brody is pulled with 2 outs in the top of the 3rd with OSU leading 2-1.

He faced 16 batters.

His line:
2 2/3 innings pitched
66 pitches (30 strikes, 36 balls)
2 Strike outs
4 walks
2 Hit batters
1 wild pitch
2 hits
2 earned runs

Brecht has pitched a combined 11 2/3 innings over his last 4 starts.

Last edited:
Tip of cap to Iowa’s bats for showing up tonight and to Jack Whitlock for yet another rescue act.

After 5 Innings (1 hour, 56 minutes game time so far):

114 pitches, 55 strikes, 59 balls, 6 walks: IOWA
126 pitches, 60 strikes, 66 balls, 8 walks: Ohio State

Struggled a little bit in T7. 3 across for the tree nuts. Still a five-run lead heading to B7. Already on pitcher #4, so would be nice to get a few more insurance runs.

Really need Morgan to step up tomorrow. Burned through too many arms tonight. Another double-digit amount of walks surrendered. Awful.

Good night for Iowa’s effort to climb up B1G standings.

Looking forward to getting back to the ballpark tomorrow. Need the rain to stay away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT