ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Ohio State at IOWA Games Thread (May 5-7)*****

Still bottom of 3rd:

Petersen hits a 2 run HOME RUN

7-2, Iowa

FvZ4ldOWAAAIMFg

His 2nd HR of the evening:

Not all good news however

UI athletics saying “some student athletes” were withheld due to a potential NCAA violation and will not further comment as it is an ongoing investigation.

As noted in the tweet above (click on "view embedded media"), coming into tonight's game Ohio State was 2nd in the B1G in walks drawn & 2nd in strikeouts.

Ohio State on offense tonight:

12 Strike Outs
10 Walks

I don’t think it’s quite as much of an oddball stat as it seems. The Braves and Dodgers are near the top of the league in both. I didn’t see much early count aggressiveness from them and that’s how teams have been approaching Brecht in conference play.

This is terrible news
Hopefully this is resolved or it's BAU for Iowa sports making a post season push with your .390 hitter out...

this definitely took the wind out of the sails pretty quickly tonight

makes you wonder what an NCAA violation is now a days (with NIL) and what the violation possibly could be....

I suppose you can still take "impermissible benefits" if you don't do any "work" for those benefits

Hopefully, whatever it is, it gets resolved very soon

Reactions: BigOHawk
I don’t think it’s quite as much of an oddball stat as it seems. The Braves and Dodgers are near the top of the league in both. I didn’t see much early count aggressiveness from them and that’s how teams have been approaching Brecht in conference play.

Exactly. This is just another consequence of the analytics-driven approach to baseball.

Let me be clear … I know nothing and I’ve heard nothing about NCAA violations involving any player on baseball team.

I sure hope that it doesn’t involve gambling. Alabama’s head coach fired this week for gambling activity. And there was a rumor posted in the Football forum about a former Hawkeye athlete and “others” being investigated by the feds for gambling.

Kyle is an Iowa baseball beat writer, so I was just passing along the comments of someone who has been watching Iowa & B1G baseball much more closely than any poster on here.

And college baseball is clearly a different animal than pro baseball, where pitchers have a lot more control and a lot more variety of pitches.

Kyle's comments regarding Ohio State and Ohio State only, again, were: Trying to figure out how Ohio State Baseball is 2nd in the Big Ten in walks drawn, but also 2nd in strikeouts. How are you patient and taking walks, while at the same time striking out a lot?

It appears that Ohio State's approach all season (and not just with Brecht) has been to not be aggressive, starting with the 1st pitch. The problem is when you get down in the count and then have to swing the bat.

Ohio State is simply not very good and walking is one way they can get base runners. But when they've been forced to swing, they've been doing a whole lot of missing.

Kyle is an Iowa baseball beat writer, so I was just passing along the comments of someone who has been watching Iowa & B1G baseball much more closely than any poster on here.

And college baseball is clearly a different animal than pro baseball, where pitchers have a lot more control and a lot more variety of pitches.

Kyle's comments regarding Ohio State and Ohio State only, again, were: Trying to figure out how Ohio State Baseball is 2nd in the Big Ten in walks drawn, but also 2nd in strikeouts. How are you patient and taking walks, while at the same time striking out a lot?

It appears that Ohio State's approach all season (and not just with Brecht) has been to not be aggressive, starting with the 1st pitch. The problem is when you get down in the count and then have to swing the bat.

Ohio State is simply not very good and walking is one way they can get base runners. But when they've been forced to swing, they've been doing a whole lot of missing.

It’s the result of analytics-driven approach to offense. “Three true outcome” approach to offense.

The ‘22 B1G champions, a very good Maryland team which hosted a Regional, lead the B1G in walks and was second in strikeouts.

Personally, I hate that baseball has evolved as such. Not fun to watch a bunch of walks and strikeouts.

It’s the result of analytics-driven approach to offense. “Three true outcome” approach to offense.

The ‘22 B1G champions, a very good Maryland team which hosted a Regional, lead the B1G in walks and was second in strikeouts.

Personally, I hate that baseball has evolved as such. Not fun to watch a bunch of walks and strikeouts.

Not sure how long last night's game took but it had to be close to 4 hours. I think the length of these games turns fans off, too.

MLB's new pitch & batter clocks have sped the game up; IIRC, a lot of games so far this season are getting completed under 2 1/2 hours.

Game times from last night:
2:09: Miami at Cubs
2:10: Rockies at Mets
2:11: Minnesota at Cleveland
2:12: Washington at Arizona
2:23: Astros at Mariners
2:25: Toronto at Pittsburgh
2:30: White Sox at Cincy

2:37: NYY at Tampa Bay
2:37: Dodgers at Padres
2:37: Milwaukee at SF
2:45: Orioles at Braves
2:51: Boston at Philadelphia
2:55: Rangers at Angels
3:08: Detroit at St Louis
3:11: Oakland at KC

Indiana and Maryland won last night.

Michigan & MSU both lost.

CURRENT STANDINGS (from @Alum-Ni 's thread):
1. Maryland (32-15, 12-4)
2. Indiana (32-14, 10-6)
2. Michigan State (28-14, 10-6)
4. Iowa (33-11, 9-6)
5. Michigan (22-21, 9-7)
5. Nebraska (24-18-1, 9-7)
5. Rutgers (28-18, 9-7)
8. Purdue (22-22, 10-8)

9. Illinois (20-22, 9-10)
10. Penn State (24-16, 6-9)
11. Minnesota (13-30, 6-10)
12. Ohio State (22-24, 5-14)
13. Northwestern (8-32, 3-12)

Exactly. This is just another consequence of the analytics-driven approach to baseball

The Yankees with Ruth were doing that 100 years ago, so it's not like the guys with a lot of power striking out and getting pitched around simultaneously is something out of the ordinary. Maybe the analytics guys caught on 80 years later, but it wasn't rocket science to begin with.

The Yankees with Ruth were doing that 100 years ago, so it's not like the guys with a lot of power striking out and getting pitched around simultaneously is something out of the ordinary. Maybe the analytics guys caught on 80 years later, but it wasn't rocket science to begin with.
It’s far from limited to power guys striking out. Strike outs have spiked across all levels.

Pretty good wind blowing out to LF at Duane Banks right now. Should be good carry on any ball hit that direction.

Iowa Pitching Coach Sean McGrath brought up Ohio State's low swing rate, stating they are looking to draw walks.

Let's strike them out instead.

McGrath is in his 1st season with Iowa. In 2022, McGrath was the pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners Double-A affiliate, the Arkansas Travelers.

Hopefully he can help get Brecht back on track.

Last edited:
IOWA STARTING LINEUP

RF Ben Wilmes
3B Raider Tello
1B Brennen Dorighi
CF Kyle Huckstorf
LF Sam Petersen
2B Sam Hojnar
SS Michael Seegers
DH Will Mulflur
C Cade Moss

P Marcus Morgan

OHIO STATE STARTING LINEUP

CF Trey Lipsey
LF Matthew Graveline
1B Marcus Ernst
C Cole Andrews
2B Tyler Pettorini
RF Mitchell Okuley
3B Nick Erwin
SS Henry Kaczmar
DH Hank Thomas

P Gavin Bruni

Rick Heller on pregame show:

* He chuckled and said it'd be nice to get win #1,000 out of the way

* Marcus Morgan has struggled against left hander hitters, which OSU has a lot of. They're trying to get him to focus on the catcher's mitt and not on the batter.

* He said OSU hitters get reckless after they stand there & get 2 strikes on them

* No questions on players being withheld (as expected)

OSU still seems sweepable without Anthony, and hopefully then we’ll at least get some info this week.

It’s our best player so writers not on the baseball beat are going to start swirling now.

Morgan gets thru the 4th inning (with Iowa now leading 4-2) but it's been far from easy.

His line so far:
4 innings pitched
18 batters faced
72 pitches (38 strikes, 34 balls)

7 strike outs
4 walks
1 Wild pitch (resulting in a run scored)
3 Hits

2 earned runs (1 solo home run given up)

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Guy sitting next to me in the stands claims to have knowledge of why Anthony, Tallman and Christiansen aren’t suited up.

If what he shared is accurate, I wouldn’t expect to see any of these guys play again this year.

Nothing criminal but conduct that is not tolerated by NCAA.

2 walks and a hit batter this inning

With the bases loaded, a double play gets Morgan out of the jam

After 4 1/2 innings, Iowa leads 6-2

Last edited:
Reactions: NevadaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT