ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

hawkedoff

HB Legend
Jul 25, 2013
The officiating was flat out awful today. Gessel gets hit in the head and it isn't a flagrant? Why not exactly? That is supposed to be an automatic call. The T in Fran was him defendingm his player in a physical foul that wasn't called. Woody for absolutely hammered on that play and nothing called. It is easy to play defense when you are allowed to grab and hold people and calls don't go against you.

The officials are the reason we lost today. No other reason. There has become this trend where a loss somehow needs to always be acknowldged as the fault of the losing team. Sometimes, like today, it isn't. Today was a horrible display if officiating that permeated every part of the game.

Originally posted by hawkedoff:
The officiating was flat out awful today. Gessel gets hit in the head and it isn't a flagrant? Why not exactly? That is supposed to be an automatic call. The T in Fran was him defendingm his player in a physical foul that wasn't called. Woody for absolutely hammered on that play and nothing called. It is easy to play defense when you are allowed to grab and hold people and calls don't go against you.

The officials are the reason we lost today. No other reason. There has become this trend where a loss somehow needs to always be acknowldged as the fault of the losing team. Sometimes, like today, it isn't. Today was a horrible display if officiating that permeated every part of the game.
The officials were crap. So was our guard play, shooting, and inability to finish at the rim.

B1G officials have been awful all year....nothibg new, flat embarrassing. At least with the ncaa trny we should get average officials

Agreed, officiating was a catastrophe.

Penn St. had to play with the same officials and did a better job than Iowa did.

We have been getting screwed by Big10 officials way back to Lickliter when Penn State was in line to defeat #1 Indiana, and it has continued to almost every game, every year since. How bad is it? Even announcers are now voicing comments on bad calls, and yet Penn State plays on.

Try it.

I'm actually pretty sure the reason we lost was Penn State scored more than us, and we shot 28% from the field.

we loss...shot horrible...but how 3 officials miss clearly a goal tending is remarkable...isn't about officials cost us the game...no they did not....but they were just about as bad..as we were.

The reality is that the game was allowed to called very loosely and it was very physical. That is how to beat Iowa is put them in a street ball game and beat them up. PSU does not want to play up and down with anyone because they simply cannot! This game ultimately means nothing. Iowa probably puts themselves in jeopardy of being in the 8/9 game now and PSU has almost clinched a NIT birth which for Newbill's sake, I hope does happen. I have a soft spot for Newbill after hearing his story on The Journey this week. He is a good player and i hope he makes it in the NBA. I just don't like the way PSU plays but that the style that Pat C. wants to play. If a game is tightly called, PSU would be screwed, but Iowa has to learn how to play through all that.

Originally posted by hawkisak:
The reality is that the game was allowed to called very loosely and it was very physical. That is how to beat Iowa is put them in a street ball game and beat them up. PSU does not want to play up and down with anyone because they simply cannot! This game ultimately means nothing. Iowa probably puts themselves in jeopardy of being in the 8/9 game now and PSU has almost clinched a NIT birth which for Newbill's sake, I hope does happen. I have a soft spot for Newbill after hearing his story on The Journey this week. He is a good player and i hope he makes it in the NBA. I just don't like the way PSU plays but that the style that Pat C. wants to play. If a game is tightly called, PSU would be screwed, but Iowa has to learn how to play through all that.
this is why I said before the game..we needed a strong set of officials...we got 3 who didn't know what a goal tending looked liked..

Originally posted by pap17754:

We have been getting screwed by Big10 officials way back to Lickliter when Penn State was in line to defeat #1 Indiana, and it has continued to almost every game, every year since. How bad is it? Even announcers are now voicing comments on bad calls, and yet Penn State plays on.

Try it.
What seed are you gonna be in the dance? WE will play on.

The officials had everything to do with this loss.

When teams are allowed to play this way field goal percentage goes way down. Easy shots don't go in. That is because players are either being held and it throws off balance or players are looking over their shoulder the whole time. You also get breakaways like we saw at the end of the game because everyone on the floor saw the foul including the officials so play stops flowing. Our guards were 3-21? Really? How often were they being hand checked and grabbed with the ball in their hands? How many times was their shooting motion thrown off by blatant physical play?

Gessel got hit in the damn head without even an attempt at the ball and the officials couldn't be bothered.

Did we see woody try another turn to the basket after they grabbed his elbow and fouled him with no call? Nope

Call it soft or say that psu had the same officials. Whatever. Psu was allows to cheat today and they won.

I said right after the game, that was a very fair and consistently officiated game. You sure can tell people that don't know basketball when they bitch about refs after that game.

You can argue that you don't like the style of play that was allowed by the officials, but it was called the same both ways. That is where Iowa is so maddening because they play like wusses when it becomes a street ball game vs. getting physical back.

There is no such thing as a BIG 10 official in college basketball. Officials are independent contractors who work games in multiple conferences all season long. So more likely than not you are going to have an official who has worked a BIG 10 game in the NCAA tourney.

what bothered me is that they made it a 1 n 1 on a foul that was clearly in the act of shooting. meaning if MG had missed the 1st one he would not have got the 2nd one.

and THE PEDO U player made absolutely no play on the ball, that's bad officiating in most peoples mind except those that do nothing but defend the officials. instead of IA getting 2 FT's and the ball after that, PEDO U gets the ball. that could have been 6 points for IA and there is no comeback.

to be clear that it 2 FT's for the personal foul 2 for the Flagrant then maybe 2 on a made shot.

disclaimer, I am not sure if the Flagrant takes place of the personal foul FT's, if it does that still is a 4 point play maybe 5 if they make a 3.

The officials had everything to do with this loss.

When teams are allowed to play this way field goal percentage goes way down. Easy shots don't go in. That is because players are either being held and it throws off balance or players are looking over their shoulder the whole time. You also get breakaways like we saw at the end of the game because everyone on the floor saw the foul including the officials so play stops flowing. Our guards were 3-21? Really? How often were they being hand checked and grabbed with the ball in their hands? How many times was their shooting motion thrown off by blatant physical play?

Gessel got hit in the damn head without even an attempt at the ball and the officials couldn't be bothered.

Did we see woody try another turn to the basket after they grabbed his elbow and fouled him with no call? Nope

Call it soft or say that psu had the same officials. Whatever. Psu was allows to cheat today and they won.
The officials spent 5 minutes reviewing that Gesell call. You think they got it wrong? LOL. Seriously, you sound like a bitter kid.

Oh no, not the "officials screwed us" excuse again. Just shutty. Iowa shot 7 more free throws than PSU and made 8 more. PSU had 4 more fouls called on them. Quit whining. When you lose to the 112th RPI ranked team, it's just not good basketball. Anyone who uses the terms "officials," "refs," "bad calls," "screwed," etc., after a game like this needs to get off the wacky weed. Seems we hear it after EVERY loss.

But then again, "I don't remember not remembering. I remember remembering, meaning I remember..."

but its real. the officials and most of the country are anti iowa. with fair officials, iowa is a top 10 team HANDS DOWN WITHOUT A QUESTION. its just sad. what was that t for? he was screaming and acting like a spoiled little child dropping f bombs....thats ok cuz he is coach fran. the master of iowa basketball...on the way to final four next year baby!

Always interesting to see the knee jerk rise abovers

The officials were the worst part of this game. Who said anything about brim moot to get us? I sure didn't

I said the officials cost is this game and I stand by that statement. They had an absolutely horrible day and their bad day cost Iowa the game.

The style of play they allowed isn't basketball. It wasn't fairly called and it doesn't matter that Iowa got to the line more. That is a simplistic and stupid response

They did not review the gessel foul for five minutes and they did not get it right. Not even close. Mike is lucky he wasn't seriously injured on that play and there wasn't even law to an attempt to defend the ball by the psu player. The officiating that was allowed this game lead to these type of fouls occurring.

The officials were absolutely horrendous and then made it worse by calling a T on Fran for trying to protect his player.

Officiating like this turns people away from the sport as fans

Stand by your statement. Doesn't make it any less cry baby. I'm sure we'll hear the same thing whenever they get beat in NCAA. In fact, save it & copy/paste it later. Just change name of opponent. Saves you some typing.

IA won't see these types of refs in the dance, BT refs are the absolute worst, with the way they allow rugby style of play vs BB and their obvious favoritism for certain BT coaches,

Incidental? No it wasn't

And for the poster that thinks is crybaby and pussy or whatever? You just illustrated my point. The officials cost us this game and yet somehow we need to invent other reasons to be the bigger than it all. That is tripe. The officials sucked this game and it cost us. Saying a team should simply overcome or cheat as well is pure nonsense

Don't think it was the officials who allowed Penn St to score 48 second half pts against the Hawks. Granted, the officiating was not the best today but this loss was entirely on the Hawks. Guards can't shoot 3-21 and you can't get outscored by PSU
in the paint by a 26 - 18 margin and expect to win.

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:
The reality is that the game was allowed to called very loosely and it was very physical.  That is how to beat Iowa is put them in a street ball game and beat them up.  PSU does not want to play up and down with anyone because they simply cannot!  This game ultimately means nothing.  Iowa probably puts themselves in jeopardy of being in the 8/9 game now and PSU has almost clinched a NIT birth which for Newbill's sake, I hope does happen.  I have a soft spot for Newbill after hearing his story on The Journey this week.  He is a good player and i hope he makes it in the NBA.  I just don't like the way PSU plays but that the style that Pat C. wants to play.  If a game is tightly called, PSU would be screwed, but Iowa has to learn how to play through all that.
this is why I said before the game..we needed a strong set of officials...we got 3 who didn't know what a goal tending looked liked..

"Needed a strong set of officials"? No, we needed to play better, period. A strong officiating crew does not change our putrid shooting percentage.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by 2bagger22:
The reality is that the game was allowed to called very loosely and it was very physical.  That is how to beat Iowa is put them in a street ball game and beat them up.  PSU does not want to play up and down with anyone because they simply cannot!  This game ultimately means nothing.  Iowa probably puts themselves in jeopardy of being in the 8/9 game now and PSU has almost clinched a NIT birth which for Newbill's sake, I hope does happen.  I have a soft spot for Newbill after hearing his story on The Journey this week.  He is a good player and i hope he makes it in the NBA.  I just don't like the way PSU plays but that the style that Pat C. wants to play.  If a game is tightly called, PSU would be screwed, but Iowa has to learn how to play through all that.

"Needed a strong set of officials"? No, we needed to play better, period. A strong officiating crew does not change our putrid shooting percentage.
This. Mighty Iowa - gol darn it, if only we'd have gotten a stronger set of officials, then maybe we could've avoided a 9-point loss to the 13 seed. Oh well, maybe next year luck will be on our side and we can prevail...

Originally posted by Servbot24:
Why on earth would that have been a flagrant? It was incidental. Don't be such a pussy.
Isn't any contact to the head automatically a flagrant, regardless if it's incidental?

NCAA basketball = WWF. It isn't legit anymore. I just hope Iowa is the team the bookies want to win.

just like in the PSU v NE game that game was allowed to be way way to physical. Some of you guys might call what was going on good defense but it is really ruining the game. The NBA got it and cleaned the game up but for some reason the college BB power brokers just don't get it.

Scoring is down not bc of the players but bc of how they are allowed to play the game and that is on the officials and how they are calling games. Taking all the beauty out of the game and replacing it w pure physicality, its unfortunate.

O.K., if the game is allowed to get TOO PHYSICAL, shouldn't the Hawks just get more physical? Adjust, already.

I don't care how bad the call was, Fran absolutely can't get a T there. That was the difference in the game, it got Newbill going.

wasn't goal tending...but the T shouldn't have been called either.

If you think we Iowa fans tend to bitch a lot about officiating you should have listened to the last 10 or so minutes of the clown-Texas game. John Walters and Eric Heft pretty much pissed and moaned about every call against ISU and had plenty to say about all the non-calls in Texas favor. It was nauseating. Too bad those jackasses won.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Roy Ellefson:

wasn't goal tending...but the T shouldn't have been called either.
Are you blind. The ball was touching the rim when the guy grabbed it.

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

The reality is that the game was allowed to called very loosely and it was very physical. That is how to beat Iowa is put them in a street ball game and beat them up. PSU does not want to play up and down with anyone because they simply cannot! This game ultimately means nothing. Iowa probably puts themselves in jeopardy of being in the 8/9 game now and PSU has almost clinched a NIT birth which for Newbill's sake, I hope does happen. I have a soft spot for Newbill after hearing his story on The Journey this week. He is a good player and i hope he makes it in the NBA. I just don't like the way PSU plays but that the style that Pat C. wants to play. If a game is tightly called, PSU would be screwed, but Iowa has to learn how to play through all that.

so the ability of officials has no bearing ?..in basketball it has a huge bearing....if you watch basketball at all you would know that...

...you will not find one post from me blaming a loss on officiating..."before" I look how we played...we played one of the worse games we played all year...that said..the missed goal tending call was really bad...overall Iowa gets a D+ officials C- Penn State C+.

8 point favorite and a 9 point loss. Yeah.....it was surely the officiating? IOWA lost to one of the worst teams (by numbers) in the B1G.

The better-prepared and more-focused team won.

No really.... This loss had nothing to do with officiating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT