ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State allowing 1.83 yds/rush attempt (#3 Nationally). Do we have a Pass Offense that will work when needed?

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
We ran the ball 45 times tonight for 272 yards and 4 TDs.

OSU, however, will try to stop the run & make us beat them with the pass.

Cade tonight:

11/19 (58%)

62 yards

3.3 yard/attempt

0 TDs

0 INTs

• Wow
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
I will legit make crow an endangered species if Iowa wins @OSU in a couple of weeks, but the whole world - and more - knows they are gonna throw everything at stopping the run and force McNamara to beat them.

Sadly, I don't think he's remotely close to being capable of doing so. 😞

I just hope they don't get rolled too bad, and nobody gets hurt.
A huge victory would be to come away and look like the might have belonged on the same field.

Edit:
The more I think about it, the more I think ain't nothing good gonna come out of this game. I predict 45-3 or 45-7 game.

We haven't scored on O vs a good team for what, 2 years?

Cade tonight:

11/19 (58%)

62 yards

3.3 yard/attempt

0 TDs

0 INTs
Why throw it (and risk it) when the score board says what it does? Will we need the passing game to step up? I am sure will will, but we didn't need it tonight. Tim Lester was not kidding when he came here and said. we are going to run the ball. We will eventually run into someone who is going to stack the box and then I suspect we will go to the quick throws. High percentage plays. What is amazing and almost an art is how this system and the Hawks are busting off big plays. It's like he sucks them up and then pops them in the mouth. They back off and we just keep pounding the rock for 5-6 yards and suck them back up again. Our run game is really really good in case nobody has noticed. So kudos to everyone, from coaches to WR and TE blocking to OL and RB's. Pretty impressive stuff.

I’m preparing myself for a beatdown against OSU. I think a win will be if we can keep it within a TD. I’m hopeful after the MN game that we can find 6 more wins with our schedule.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Someone already mentioned it, but his stats almost resemble him playing for a service academy. Except he throws more than they do…..completions are about the same.

I really think teams should just sell out to stop the run and let Cade try and beat you. ISU seemed to do it.

Cade tonight:

11/19 (58%)

62 yards

3.3 yard/attempt

0 TDs

0 INTs
That won't beat anybody with a pulse. Even KF told the TV interviewer, "We need to find our passing game." LOL

The passing game has been MIA for about five years now, so yah, finding it before the visit to Columbus would be a good idea.

With 7 minutes to go and a 17 point lead, McNamara was still in the game and handing the ball off. That's a good way to work on the passing game. Another why might have been to put Sullivan in and let him throw a few passes WAY down the field . . . you know, 20 yards or more. But no. KF puts Sully in at the 2-minute warning and lets him work on handing off. That's KF's complementary football at its best.

For Iowa to have any chance to even compete with OSU, they're gonna have to throw the ball and somebody is gonna have to catch it. So far this year, nobody--other than Gill--has been able to do much of either of those things.

McNamara has a weak arm. He's no running threat. Too bad we don't have an experienced QB who is healthy, has a good arm, and can run . . . Such a guy might come in handy @ OSU.

Short answer: No.

I hope I'm wrong, but at least they've got 2 weeks to work on it.
Sure, except KF's "developmental program" ain't known for developin' much out of a bye week. Maybe Lester will change that trend. He'd better, because a one-dimensional Iowa offense is a formula for (1) getting embarrassed and (2) getting RBs hurt.

They HAVE to develop a package of RPO's for Sullivan. They HAVE to. And they have to commit to playing Sully early in the game, no later than the third series of the game. Unless a miracle of biblical proportions happens, McNamara is gonna get exposed big time and, perhaps, injured again under a massive OSU rush. For Iowa to have a chance, Sullivan HAS to be a major part of the offensive game plan, which means he threatens the edges with his speed and quickness and with the arm strength to throw the ball 40 or 50 yards. Without that threat, Kaleb Johnson won't have a chance, and neither will the Hawkeyes.

It is possible we see a new starter after OSU, Cade might be in the hospital. I don't think our o-line keeps him off his back.
It won't be the O-line's fault. Nobody can be expected to pass protect when you're a one-dimensional offense playing a good to great team. OSU may put 11 in the box. What's McNamara gonna do about it? He can't throw the ball more than 20 yards . . . and that's if he has time, which he won't.

The ONLY way Iowa even keeps it halfway competitive is if Sullivan is featured early and often with RPOs. Sully has the speed and quickness to threaten the edges, and he has the arm strength to make the defense pay for flooding the box. I don't see any way in the universe Iowa keeps it close vs. OSU with Cade taking the majority of snaps. It's just not possible. After four games, Cade still looks like an old man trying to get around out there, and his arm is weak. And when he does surprise everyone and throw a decent pass, the Bud Man's receivers drop the damn ball. That's not exactly a game plan you want to take with you to Columbus. In fact, to borrow one of KF's snide remarks, I'd go so far as to say unless Sullivan is gonna take at least half the snaps, KF might as well not bother getting on the bus.

That won't beat anybody with a pulse. Even KF told the TV interviewer, "We need to find our passing game." LOL

The passing game has been MIA for about five years now, so yah, finding it before the visit to Columbus would be a good idea.

With 7 minutes to go and a 17 point lead, McNamara was still in the game and handing the ball off. That's a good way to work on the passing game. Another why might have been to put Sullivan in and let him throw a few passes WAY down the field . . . you know, 20 yards or more. But no. KF puts Sully in at the 2-minute warning and lets him work on handing off. That's KF's complementary football at its best.

For Iowa to have any chance to even compete with OSU, they're gonna have to throw the ball and somebody is gonna have to catch it. So far this year, nobody--other than Gill--has been able to do much of either of those things.

McNamara has a weak arm. He's no running threat. Too bad we don't have an experienced QB who is healthy, has a good arm, and can run . . . Such a guy might come in handy @ OSU.
This is something I really can’t understand…..why Kirk refuses to put the backup QB in for 1/2 of the 4th quarter in a blowout and let him throw some passes. He had the perfect opportunity last night, against Troy, and against Illinois State. It makes no sense. It really doesn’t.

Cade tonight:

11/19 (58%)

62 yards

3.3 yard/attempt

0 TDs

0 INTs
Yes, OSU's D has been legit against the likes of Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall. I've watched al three games (GF is a Buck Nut). They are talented, like Iowa, and have their issues, like Iowa.

Check out the time of possession against Akron and Marshall - they were beaten by 9 and 12 minutes, respectively, and it wasn't just garbage time. They struggle to get off the field, have lapses in discipline and have been able (so far) to make up for it with sheer athleticism.

That works against Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall.

They play @ Michigan State next week, so we'll see what they look like against a B1G opponent. MSU is better than expected (only loss is on the road to a good BC team), so it will be a good litmus test.

You are correct that OSU will try to do what every team will try to do against Iowa: stop the run.

Iowa just put up 272 yards (6.0 ypc) on the road against a decent and lathered up Minny D in a RIVALRY game with the Goofers hell bent on stopping the run.

How did that game work out?

Michigan threw for 30 yards (50% less) than Iowa yesterday and beat USC.

There's lots of ways to win.

Cheers1

If a QB change is ever going to happen it will be in a bye week ( won't) , Iowa has zero chance unless they get Sulli in there who is more accurate and can threaten the OSU defense with His legs on zone reads and passes off of the zone read and play action to keep OSUs pursuit of Johnson in check and the safeties out of the box , Cade is like watching someone who just got out of a nursing home bed try to take on Usian Bolt in the 100Ms . If Kirk is serious about trying to win in Columbus then You will not see Cade as QB1 and Iowa's Defense will have to play the game of Their lives.

So here's the dealio my man. We've only just completed week 4 of the season and only week one of the Big 10. Cade is now probably only 2 or 3 games from being in game shape. You do know he's been out of football a long time, right? Shiiiittt. Kirk's playing 3d chess whilst all you numbnuts are still learning checkers.

Our (OSU) secondary is the strongest part of the defense. I wasn't impressed with the D-line play against Marshall. We coudn't stop the QB draw and bootleg play. We seem to lose containment. We need better peneteration upfront. Iowa will test OSU's front seven with the run game. Obviously Iowa will use the TE in the passing game and I would also try swing passes to the running backs coming out of the backfield. I think it will be difficult for Iowa to throw downfield against our DBs.

Offensively, this may be the most balanced OSU team in a few years. Both Judkins and Henderson can break a long run at any time. Our O-line is better than last year. Howard brings a new dimension at QB with his scrambling/running ability. Egbuka, Tate and Smith all have big play potential.

I expect Iowa to win the time of possession. The key will be to limit OSU's big play capability and create a few turnovers along the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT