ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State allowing 1.83 yds/rush attempt (#3 Nationally). Do we have a Pass Offense that will work when needed?

We ran the ball 45 times tonight for 272 yards and 4 TDs.

OSU, however, will try to stop the run & make us beat them with the pass.

Cade tonight:

11/19 (58%)

62 yards

3.3 yard/attempt

0 TDs

0 INTs
mcnamara will suffer humiliations similar to those suffered in Happy Valley last fall if Iowa tries to use him in a similar capacity.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sullivan get more reps against tOSU. Iowas identity is on the ground. the pass game is woeful and the OL can’t protect for any long developing plays against an elite defense.

Our (OSU) secondary is the strongest part of the defense. I wasn't impressed with the D-line play against Marshall. We coudn't stop the QB draw and bootleg play. We seem to lose containment. We need better peneteration upfront. Iowa will test OSU's front seven with the run game. Obviously Iowa will use the TE in the passing game and I would also try swing passes to the running backs coming out of the backfield. I think it will be difficult for Iowa to throw downfield against our DBs.

Offensively, this may be the most balanced OSU team in a few years. Both Judkins and Henderson can break a long run at any time. Our O-line is better than last year. Howard brings a new dimension at QB with his scrambling/running ability. Egbuka, Tate and Smith all have big play potential.

I expect Iowa to win the time of possession. The key will be to limit OSU's big play capability and create a few turnovers along the way.
It’s going to be like the TN game

Some are acting like we just ran over the 85 Bears last night.

MN is a crap team who haven’t played anyone either.

OSU is #3 team in country and loaded at every position.

They are going to shut down the run like ISU did in the second half and Cade won’t throw the ball further than 5 yards

It’s going to be ugly

Osu could put everyone within 5 yard did the line of scrimmage and blitz every play. Cade misses wide open guys so I’d take the chances on stopping the run. Osu has a good enough offense to get down by a fluke and come back, Iowa cannot.

Reactions: Garzatough85
Hawaii Seriously GIF by ION

I think there is a chance to be in this game. Better offense means more scoring and a more rested defense. Kirk will be playing field position which may give Phils squad a chance for turnovers.
If our O line can protect Cade then who knows. I've been around long enough to not rule out Kirk and the Hawkeyes. You got to believe it can happen.
Hawkeyes 26 Ohio State 24

We ran the ball 45 times tonight for 272 yards and 4 TDs.

OSU, however, will try to stop the run & make us beat them with the pass.

Cade tonight:

11/19 (58%)

62 yards

3.3 yard/attempt

0 TDs

0 INT
OSU will probably play the hawks straight up to start with, 7 in the box, and maybe one safety a couple steps closer to the LOS. Right now OSU with better defenders than Minny is not real scared of our passing game. But I watched Marshall and they really made some good pass plays, with some really good receivers.

But really a passing game for Iowa is to run quick slants and other patterns that get the receiver between our QB and the defender. Throw them the ball, catch hit, and sustain the hit or get some extra yards.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
You all do understand EVERYONE has sold out tried to stop our running game. I do know this much, we are not going to wear OSU down. We need to be ready to get it going from the first snap. We seem to be able to play with anyone in the second half, but being down by 7 to MN is a lot different then being down 2 plus scores to OSU at the half. WE NEED A COMPLETE GAME if we are going to stand a chance of pulling this one off, because our defense is good but OSU is going to score.

Reactions: F5n5
I’m preparing myself for a beatdown against OSU. I think a win will be if we can keep it within a TD. I’m hopeful after the MN game that we can find 6 more wins with our schedule.

I think 9-3 is most likely but 10-2 is not out of the question.

Iowa's (3-1) Remaining Schedule:

............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
  • vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
  • at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
  • vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
  • vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
  • at UCLA, November 8, 2024
............................Nov 16 BYE.............................................
  • at Maryland, November 23, 2024
  • vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

They are going to shut down the run like ISU did in the second half and Cade won’t throw the ball further than 5 yards

It’s going to be ugly
Wait a minute.

Iowa has played two intense rivalry game in their first four contests. OSU has played shit teams, and even they will admit that.

Iowa will be coming off a bye week (OSU has already had their first bye) while OSU plays a decent MSU in East Lansing, has Iowa and then goes to Eugene to face Oregon...followed by Nebraska at home and at Penn State.

Their path is less than easy. They'll drop at least one.

All the pressure is on OSU, and they've been fumble ****ing around on defense these first three games.

Non-Con is one thing. B1G is a totally different deal.

Wait a minute.

Iowa has played two intense rivalry game in their first four contests. OSU has played shit teams, and even they will admit that.

Iowa will be coming off a bye week (OSU has already had their first bye) while OSU plays a decent MSU in East Lansing, has Iowa and then goes to Eugene to face Oregon...followed by Nebraska at home and at Penn State.

Their path is less than easy. They'll drop at least one.

All the pressure is on OSU, and they've been fumble ****ing around on defense these first three games.

Non-Con is one thing. B1G is a totally different deal.
Yeah, not buying that. Yeah, Ohio State hasn't played a murderer's row of opponents, but anyone that thinks OSU's been lulled to sleep by crap competition is in for a rude awakening.

Iowa's only chance is to do to OSU, what Michigan did to USC. Suffocate them on defense, and pound the ball on offense. Unfortunately for Iowa, I suspect OSU is a little bit better at stopping the run than USC is, and have even more firepower on offense. And I also suspect Iowa isn't going to own the turnover margin, and when they do get a stop or turnover, they won't always capitalize (drives that should end in TDs end up in FG tries, and drives that might end in a FG try end up as punts). It's probably not going to be a particurly good day at the office; while I doubt OSU will be able to name its score, it will still be a convincing win. Something to the tune of 34-13.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

It’s going to be ugly
Unfortunately true. I do think that the way we beat Minnesota though, with such utter domination in the second half, is something to be optimistic about. If we can improve enough to make it a game for awhile with OSU and help KJ gets some highlights against a top team to show off, that would make me happy. Keeping it within 17 would be pretty damn great in my eyes.

Reactions: HawkBall23
Certainly would expect to see some non-red zone packages for Sullivan against OSU...

You all do understand EVERYONE has sold out tried to stop our running game. I do know this much, we are not going to wear OSU down. We need to be ready to get it going from the first snap. We seem to be able to play with anyone in the second half, but being down by 7 to MN is a lot different then being down 2 plus scores to OSU at the half. WE NEED A COMPLETE GAME if we are going to stand a chance of pulling this one off, because our defense is good but OSU is going to score.
Correct. I mean what DC now does not know #2 is getting the ball and like a lot.

Yes, OSU's D has been legit against the likes of Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall. I've watched al three games (GF is a Buck Nut). They are talented, like Iowa, and have their issues, like Iowa.

Check out the time of possession against Akron and Marshall - they were beaten by 9 and 12 minutes, respectively, and it wasn't just garbage time. They struggle to get off the field, have lapses in discipline and have been able (so far) to make up for it with sheer athleticism.

That works against Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall.

They play @ Michigan State next week, so we'll see what they look like against a B1G opponent. MSU is better than expected (only loss is on the road to a good BC team), so it will be a good litmus test.

You are correct that OSU will try to do what every team will try to do against Iowa: stop the run.

Iowa just put up 272 yards (6.0 ypc) on the road against a decent and lathered up Minny D in a RIVALRY game with the Goofers hell bent on stopping the run.

How did that game work out?

Michigan threw for 30 yards (50% less) than Iowa yesterday and beat USC.

There's lots of ways to win.

Cheers1
Ohio St front 7 has not been that great, and they've struggled to get off the field against the likes of Marshall. However, time of possession only means something if you can get a few explosive plays and score touchdowns. Our pass defense has been extremely suspect, and Minny can't pass. Ohio St is balanced and has weapons everywhere. They can lose the TOP and still win the game easily because of their explosiveness. Now maybe Johnson can hit a few home runs. It's not out of the question. If we see another game like the last 2-3 years against the big boys ( probably expected) of course I'll be disappointed. I"d like to see that we're truly improved.

I guess I would prefer that over a night game there.
Yeah. The last noon game was Marshall at Ohio St if that tells you anything. I think the Michigan game was taken already as was the UCLA/LSU game. The Iowa MN game was a far better matchup as far as entertainment. So were probably four other games. It shows the clout of OSU and how unmeaningful teams outside the top 25 are except for maybe Nebraska.

I don't think OSU under Ryan Day is ever quite as good as their hype. And I have a feeling that with a huge game against Oregon on deck, they won't be taking us that seriously.

I wouldn't bet on it -- and getting blown out is well within the realm of possibility -- but I do think we could find ourselves in a game in two weeks and do something shocking.

The one thing that gives me a little hope is that I don't think Will Howard is all that great. I was pretty surprised they went out and got him to be their starter.

Barring a ‘17 miracle type performance, not a chance in hell. They will stop the run and Cade is playing scared.

Reactions: Zooropa_NCR
Spartans knocking off the Buckeyes this Saturday just seems like the perfect Iowa thing to go down...

I don't think OSU under Ryan Day is ever quite as good as their hype. And I have a feeling that with a huge game against Oregon on deck, they won't be taking us that seriously.

I wouldn't bet on it -- and getting blown out is well within the realm of possibility -- but I do think we could find ourselves in a game in two weeks and do something shocking.

Heck, we already lost the one we shouldn’t have. Seems we are due to win one we shouldn’t.

Short answer to the OP question is No.
Iowa does not have a passing game that would be concerning for a top 50 defense. And it looks unlikely they will develop anything this season that would be competent.

Barring a ‘17 miracle type performance, not a chance in hell. They will stop the run and Cade is playing scared.
Cade just isn’t very good. He lacks arm strength and he has limited receiving options that can get open consistently. The OL struggles to protect him on top of those limitations, and you’re left with one of the nations least effective passing games.

I don't see Iowa winning this one. The question is whether we can continue to improve, remain healthy, and keep things competitive.

If our passing game showed signs of competency and if our CB-play didn't look so inconsistent ... I'd have thought that we'd have a puncher's chance. However, I'm resigned to be happy about the game just as long as we don't look like total ass.

Last edited:
Basically this. After what happened with the Goofs, OSU will sell out on stopping the run all game. Cade is not a deep throwing threat, or a throwing threat at all for that matter.

Expect OSU to launch a few bombs downfield to get up 2 or 3 scores early. Then they'll be on cruise control for the remainder of the game.

This team has no pass offense and won't beat any good teams, after OSU will probably lose one game they shouldn't and finish 9-3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT