ADVERTISEMENT

Ohtani to Dodgers for 700 million

It should be against the rules, but as they read currently, it is not.

This had to have been in the works for over a year. LA was clearing the roster, not spending last off season, and without question working this deal out with Ohtani's agent; Toronto was just a smoke screen all along.

Brilliantly played by Dodgers management.
A deal this favorable to the Dodgers means there was no intention of ever signing with any other team. I thought the players union was against collusion?

This is effectively a $460 million dollar contract. Pays out $2 million to him each year, $44 million put into an investment account to to grow to $68 million in 10 years. $46 million goes towards taxable player wages so nothing is really changed much on a team basis - this is just a $460 million contract vs the $700 mil that was announced. For an ownership that is investors they will likely more than recoup the money in the investments. Honestly this deal will likely pay off for the dodgers, but seems gross when it was announced. Even still would not want any part of the deal likely in 5-6 years.

A deal this favorable to the Dodgers means there was no intention of ever signing with any other team. I thought the players union was against collusion?
I read there is such a massive contingent of Japanese media that moved their families to the LA area from Japan to report on Othani for the respective outlets that it would’ve been a huge deal for them to move out of SoCal, especially to let’s say Toronto or NY. Was wild to even consider that being a factor.

so how are the dodger fans feeling about yamamoto and ohtani now? one got rocked last night and the other could face a serious suspension and federal charges…

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Reactions: ClarindaA's
See, this is where I really start to wonder about some things. How did a guy with nowhere near enough money get to make these bets? Who as covering these debts and letting him bet more? Did someone have their hooks into him to get baseball information? Pleading guilty to federal charges makes sense if a guy with organized crime ties carried your debts. Better to plead guilty and take the fall versus get whacked.
I want to know the nuts and bolts of how the money was stolen, and NOBODY noticed. Not Ohotani, not an assistant or lawyer, or one of the accountants he surely must have watching his money.

MLB says they have conducted a quick investigation and
found that Ohtani was a victim of multi-million dollars
stolen from him. Perhaps MLB does not want to find out
that Ohtani was somehow involved in gambling and lose
their biggest Super Star in MLB.

Bottom Line: If Ohtani did not know his money was missing,
then he is really dumb.....stupid.....or hiding the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDallasRuss
I saw a brief thing on TV where a guy was explaining that at the point at which all this happened, Ohtani had made $64M playing baseball. That's pre-tax and everything else. And it doesn't include any endorsement money.

Figure after taxes (est at 19.2M Fed and 7.8M state) plus the agent's 3%, and he's left with around $35M. That's before spending any of it on things like food, housing, etc.

You're telling me that his translator was able to steal ~1/3 of that without Ohtani knowing? I don't think I'm buying that.

See, this is where I really start to wonder about some things. How did a guy with nowhere near enough money get to make these bets? Who as covering these debts and letting him bet more? Did someone have their hooks into him to get baseball information? Pleading guilty to federal charges makes sense if a guy with organized crime ties carried your debts. Better to plead guilty and take the fall versus get whacked.
I want to know the nuts and bolts of how the money was stolen, and NOBODY noticed. Not Ohotani, not an assistant or lawyer, or one of the accountants he surely must have watching his money.
I think that's an important question. I guess he was betting through an illegal bookie. Someone who would take bets in advance on credit, but he wouldn't possibly let a guy making interpreter money run up that kind of debt. He HAD to know that any losses were being covered, or he was getting information that was worth at least the cost of floating the losses for longer periods of time.

"Mizuhara surrenders to feds; bond set at $25K"

"He later appeared in U.S. District Court on Friday afternoon and had his bond set at $25,000. An arraignment is scheduled for May 9. In the interim, Mizuhara has to seek treatment for gambling addiction."

$25k bond for *allegedly* stealing $16M isn't a bad deal!

• Wow
Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT