ADVERTISEMENT

Okie State predictions

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
Still a week out, but thought I'd get the speculating started. (last week's Intermat rankings used)

#1 Lee (13-0)
NR Witcraft (1-2 at 125)

Mastrogiovanni is out for the season due to injury, so Witcraft dropped from 133 and not having much success so far - the cut probably sapped his energy. I think that Spencer will get back to his pinning ways. 6-0 Iowa.

#16 Teske (6-1)
#2 Fix (19-0)

Will probably be a very boring match, since neither are known for their offense, and are solid defensively. I'll go with Fix in a one takedown match. 6-3 Iowa.

#2 Woods (11-0)
#15 Young (11-9)

Young is a struggling sophomore, though he did beat Hart (MO) a week ago. However, Woods is hitting on all cyclinders and will pick him apart, with TDs and NFs. Tech fall here. 11-3 Iowa.

#6 Murin (16-3)
#21 Voinovich (13-6)

Voinovich is a FR - I don't know his wrestling style, but he lost a close match to Mauller (MO). Murin will most likely grind out his usual victory, hopefully continuing his solid TD techniques. 14-3 Iowa.

#14 Siebrecht (10-3)
#10 Gfeller (15-5)

As with most of the OSU team, I don't know Gfeller's wrestling style, so hard to predict this match. With it being a home dual, and Siebrecht is improving week to week, I'll pick him in a close, high scoring win. 17-3 Iowa.

#7 Kennedy (15-2)
#25 Sheets (12-9)

Not sure why Sheets is struggling this year. What could have been a close match, appears to be a strong win for Kennedy - I'll even call a major. 21-3 Iowa.

#16 Brands (5-4)
#9 Plott (16-3)

Plott has lost his last two matches, to Mocco (MO) and DeVos (SDS). I've been waiting years to get on the Nelson Brands bandwagon, but he gives little reason to have confidence. He keeps matches close against top guys, but that's about it. Plott in another close one. 21-6 Iowa.

???
#10 Wittlake (14-3)

Rhodes likely won't wrestle again (or else he'll burn his redshirt), so will Griffith or McCain (174 lbers) move up, or will Iowa forfeit? I'll give OSU 6 points here. 21-12 Iowa.

#12 Warner (12-4)
#16 Surber (15-6)

Yes, Surber somehow beat Rocky Elam (MO) last week. And Cassioppi got pinned by some unknown last year -- upsets happen. Even though Warner has been very inconsistent this year, it's his final home dual and it's almost tournament time, so he'll get a strong win. 24-12 Iowa.

#3 Cassioppi (16-2)
#23 Doucet (13-7)

Doucet appears to wrestle close matches (is he an old-style Heavy?). Regardless...the Hawks started the dual with a pin, so why not close it out with the same? 30-12 Iowa.

OSU hasn't totally fallen on hard times, but as with ISU and MN, college wrestling is so much more enjoyable when they're one of the top teams (behind Iowa, of course!). Not as fun when beating OSU is almost a given. Will still be f*n!

Last edited:
125- Lee (6-0) going out with a bang in carver.

133- Fix (6-4) Fix is riding guys tough this year.

141- Woods (9-4) Young is going to be a tight, tough match.

149- Murin (12-4) Mirror images of each other. Voinovich is a grinder and has a huge gas tank. Limited on his feet, really only has a left handed high crotch and is tough on top if he gets a takedown.

157- Gfeller (12-7) Dangerous from bottom. Will quad pod up and then reach back for a leg and forward roll and cast his hips over. Gets it on almost everyone. Two guys that can scramble. G is just better at it.

165- Kennedy (15-7) Sheets is undersized for 165 and has 90 year old knees. He will wrestle from his knees and just make his match ugly. A bigger Biscoglia. Sheets slows everything down.

174- Plott (15-10) Here are two similar guys style wise again, but Plott has more offense from his feet.

184- Whittlake (15-14) He looks really good at this weight after getting healthy and moving up. Who knows what Iowa is going to look like here.

197- Coin Flip: Surber goes and goes and goes. Looks to put people on their back. This match will be very entertaining to watch.

285- Cass does Cass things and wins the dual for Iowa.

125- Lee (6-0) going out with a bang in carver.

133- Fix (6-4) Fix is riding guys tough this year.

141- Woods (9-4) Young is going to be a tight, tough match.

149- Murin (12-4) Mirror images of each other. Voinovich is a grinder and has a huge gas tank. Limited on his feet, really only has a left handed high crotch and is tough on top if he gets a takedown.

157- Gfeller (12-7) Dangerous from bottom. Will quad pod up and then reach back for a leg and forward roll and cast his hips over. Gets it on almost everyone. Two guys that can scramble. G is just better at it.

165- Kennedy (15-7) Sheets is undersized for 165 and has 90 year old knees. He will wrestle from his knees and just make his match ugly. A bigger Biscoglia. Sheets slows everything down.

174- Plott (15-10) Here are two similar guys style wise again, but Plott has more offense from his feet.

184- Whittlake (15-14) He looks really good at this weight after getting healthy and moving up. Who knows what Iowa is going to look like here.

197- Coin Flip: Surber goes and goes and goes. Looks to put people on their back. This match will be very entertaining to watch.

285- Cass does Cass things and wins the dual for Iowa.
Probably not far off. OSU wrestles a bunch of boring 4-3 matches. Bonus at 125 for the Hawks and bonus at 184 for the Pokes. Hawks win desisions at 141, 149, 157/174, 165, 197, and Hwt. Pokes win desicions at 133, 157/174 (one of them) and thats it. 24-10 good guys.

OK State has been wrestling better as of late. PK is a strong favorite over Sheets but Sheets seems to be adjusting to the weight class now. Sheets recently beat Yant, Tanner Cook and just lost a close OT match against Shane Griffith. I think Warner should be a strong favorite over Surber. I know Surber beat Elam but I was in Brookings, SD on Friday and watched him almost get stalled out of a match against Tanner Sloan and get ridden for almost 6 minutes.

Reactions: sdvike
OK State has been wrestling better as of late. PK is a strong favorite over Sheets but Sheets seems to be adjusting to the weight class now. Sheets recently beat Yant, Tanner Cook and just lost a close OT match against Shane Griffith. I think Warner should be a strong favorite over Surber. I know Surber beat Elam but I was in Brookings, SD on Friday and watched him almost get stalled out of a match against Tanner Sloan and get ridden for almost 6 minutes.
Sheets has had a brutal schedule as of late, too. 3 of his last 5 were against former champs Carr, Keegan and Griffith.

Remember the days when Okie State was a premier program and it is astounding how far they've fallen.

Remember the days when Okie State was a premier program and it is astounding how far they've fallen.
This meet is not a gimme. They've been wrestling much better in recent weeks, particularly Gfeller and Sheets.
They'll bring their A-game to IC. They are going to win two matches, 133 and 184, likely with bonus. 157, 165 and 174 are all possible for them (in fact, they're favored at '74 and probably should be at '57). You never know how Warner will be... Not trying to be negative, but this is not a year we can ignore them. They sucked in December, not so much now.

Last edited:
Wrestlestat has Young beating Woods somehow. Just don't understand that at all. Will it be close? Maybe, but not sure how you look at how the two have performed this year and can take Young over Real.

Last edited:
Wrestlestat has Young beating Woods somehow. Just don't understand that at all. Will it be close? Maybe, but not sure how you look at the how the two have performed this year and can take Young over Real.
It's all based off algorithms and common opponents. Woods 2 losses via fall to Grant Willits are likely what shifted it. It also looks at margin of victory, yada yada.

I doubt the creator of the site truly believes Young is favored in this match.

Reactions: IAROY
Like just about every other dual this season, this one is going to be relatively close. Okie St is not a bad team. There are a lot of swing matches that Iowa needs to win in order to give the Hawks some breathing room.
Don’t sleep on Carter Young (he’s the kid that beat Seth Gross as a HS kid).

Seibrecht vs Gfeller is a mirror match if I’ve ever seen one and has a R12 feel to it.

Wyatt Sheets has burned some Hawks in the past, PK needs to take that Old Cowboy to the train station.

Plott vs Brands is another match with R12 feel to it.

Time for JWar to get in March form a little early.

Doesn’t brands still have one more year?
He does if he wants for the covid year but rumors here in the forum have indicated he may want to be done after this year. I dont think there has been any official word and maybe he is still considering. He has had a tough go of it in his career with injuries and wrestling up weight classes to fill needs, a true warrior.

No. 2 Iowa Hawkeyes Probable Lineup vs. No. 6 Oklahoma State

Wt.RankNameYr.Hometown/High School2022-23 Record
1251/1/1/1Spencer LeeRS Sr.Murrysville, Pa./Franklin Regional13-0
13314/16/18/13Brody TeskeJr.Fort Dodge, Iowa/Fort Dodge (Penn State/UNI)6-1
-or-Cullan SchrieverSo.Mason City, Iowa/Mason City7-6
1412/2/2/2Real WoodsSr.Albuquerque, N.M./Montini Catholic (Ill.) (Stanford)12-0
14910/6/7/10Max MurinRS Sr.Ebensburg, Pa./Central Cambria16-3
15710/13/11/10Cobe SiebrechtJr.Lisbon, Iowa/Lisbon10-3
1659/7/7/9Patrick KennedySo.Kasson-Mantorville, Minn./Kasson-Mantorville15-2
17416/14/14/15Nelson BrandsSr.Iowa City, Iowa/West5-4
18411/12/10/9Abe AssadJr.Carol Stream, Ill./Glenbard North14-2
-or-Drake RhodesFr.Billings, Mont./Billings West1-4