ADVERTISEMENT

OL drafted since 2000?

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
I saw a stat that we weren't even in the top 5. I was a little surprised by that. I guess we do have a lot of guys who are UDFA that make it but I thought the number was 15 for 5th?

Anyone know where we are at?

I am really tired and probably forgetting some major guys but weren't the following drafted:
Steinbach
Gallery
Lightfoot
Porter
Yanda
Bulaga
Reiff
Daniels
Scherff
Nelson
Eubanks?
Wirfs
Ferentz?

Again, this was off the top of my head. I don't even remember if some of these guys were actually drafted.

I saw a stat that we weren't even in the top 5. I was a little surprised by that. I guess we do have a lot of guys who are UDFA that make it but I thought the number was 15 for 5th?

Anyone know where we are at?

I am really tired and probably forgetting some major guys but weren't the following drafted:
Steinbach
Gallery
Lightfoot
Porter
Yanda
Bulaga
Reiff
Daniels
Scherff
Nelson
Eubanks?
Wirfs
Ferentz?

Again, this was off the top of my head. I don't even remember if some of these guys were actually drafted.
The blue blood get a lot of talent....

Don’t think Lightfoot, Eubanks or Ferentz we’re drafted.

Andrew Donnal was a 4th round pick
Blythe was 7th round pick
Adam Gettis was a 5th round pick
Julian Vandervelde was a 5th round pick
Kyle Kallowa was a 7th round pick
Seth Olson 4th round pick
Mike Elgin was a 7th round pick
Pete McMahon was a 6th round pick
Ben Sobieski was a 5th round pick

Last edited:
Thanks. I was pretty sure Ferentz and Eubanks weren't. I thought maybe Lightfoot but that 02 line was salty.

The stat was on BTN last night during the Wisconsin game.
Evidence of why Iow has had lots of high NFL OL draft choices, but really has had very few good OL. Lots of stars, but also weak links

The blue blood get a lot of talent....
Alabama has literally the number 1 and 2 ranked offensive tackles committed in this class. Let that sink in a little, # 1 and # 2. Hawkeye fans are ecstatic about getting the # 18 OT, which we should be because he’s going to be a great one but just think if that’s the kind of recruiting classes a team gets.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
Alabama has literally the number 1 and 2 ranked offensive tackles committed in this class. Let that sink in a little, # 1 and # 2. Hawkeye fans are ecstatic about getting the # 18 OT, which we should be because he’s going to be a great one but just think if that’s the kind of recruiting classes a team gets.
Alabama has the number 2 and number 5 tackle.

Evidence of why Iow has had lots of high NFL OL draft choices, but really has had very few good OL. Lots of stars, but also weak links
Guard play. We've had a lot of star OTs and some quality centers over the years, but our guards have just been a lot of "names" to fill out the line, in many seasons.

That's not to say we haven't had any good ones, but it's also kinda funny that some of our best OTs in the KF era ended up at OG in the NFL (a couple may even go in the Hall of Fame).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT