ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin - Did Chad Leistikow really break the story?

thewop

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2002
I've found it interesting over the past few days to see how carefully Iowa Media has treated "crediting" Chad Leistikow for breaking the story. The "official" media is careful to give him credit, even though it had basically been broken by fans on social media prior. I find the whole "I was first" thing fairly strange. I like Chad's work and will look at it regardless of who was first, I also like Morehouse's and Dochterman's, and will look at just about any of the others on occasion as well, however...

If you get news, sit on it for 5 days to protect your source, then release it at virtually the same time as the university while still protecting your source, did you really break anything? Didn't the random guy on twitter who also had "a source" scoop you? Anyone else find this thing strange? Side note, serial thief HawkeyeHeaven (Levi) stole a picture from the Register for their own oliver martin write-up, which it has since removed after being called out.

I do get it. With so many "fan sites" and average individuals having access to information and social media to voice it to the world, the traditional media is at risk in the category of "news," since their opportunities to break news are fleeting.

Thoughts?

Wg2Zn68.png

I think it is a valid question. I saw Morehouse tweeted something that was obviously related to the rumors (the 5 day window period) but he effectively said he wasn't comfortable as a reporter putting it out there because he couldn't verify the information like he wanted to. I think in a message after that he even stated he doesn't really try to be "first".

I've found it interesting over the past few days to see how carefully Iowa Media has treated "crediting" Chad Leistikow for breaking the story. The "official" media is careful to give him credit, even though it had basically been broken by fans on social media prior. I find the whole "I was first" thing fairly strange. I like Chad's work and will look at it regardless of who was first, I also like Morehouse's and Dochterman's, and will look at just about any of the others on occasion as well, however...

If you get news, sit on it for 5 days to protect your source, then release it at virtually the same time as the university while still protecting your source, did you really break anything? Didn't the random guy on twitter who also had "a source" scoop you? Anyone else find this thing strange? Side note, serial thief HawkeyeHeaven (Levi) stole a picture from the Register for their own oliver martin write-up, which it has since removed after being called out.

I do get it. With so many "fan sites" and average individuals having access to information and social media to voice it to the world, the traditional media is at risk in the category of "news," since their opportunities to break news are fleeting.

Thoughts?
If you can guess 50/50 you don't get credit. If you break the news from either the university or from martins family, you get credit.

Do they get paid more if they break the story first? I don’t think so, so who freaking cares.

I remember feeling important when Bryce Miller told me that Tim Dwight was committed to Iowa but he wasn't allowed to report it until the following week.

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
I don’t think the necessarily care about being first, but they do care about having their stories, related pictures etc, used without receiving the credit for it. It’s happening a lot by certain unnamed people. That’s probably why you see Iowa media naming each other as who reported it first. With social media everyone likes to throw out stuff and claim they were first. Some some do have sources, but it’s hard to differentiate some times thus most wait until actual media reports it.

Reactions: torbee
I thought that poster here who talked to someone at the bar was the first to announce it
@PartyHawk420 was the guy who broke the transfer news here a week before it was actually announced by Martin. He was ridiculed by the free fb board and ended up being right. I wonder if he's any relation to you or if 420 is just a common surname in eastern Iowa these days?

They often get more website hits/traffic which can definitely lead to more money.

Plus more credibility for the writer. There is a reason why WojoBomb is a thing and he's got millions of follows and gets paid a lot of money.

@PartyHawk420 was the guy who broke the transfer news here a week before it was actually announced by Martin. He was ridiculed by the free fb board and ended up being right. I wonder if he's any relation to you or if 420 is just a common surname in eastern Iowa these days?

problem is he has no creditably and therefore didn't break anything.He is just an anymous message board poster.

I could go post that Kirk ferentz is going to retire.
Then create a new handle and say he's not gonna retire.

One of them is true, but I didn't break anything because I don't have the credibility of a news organization.

problem is he has no creditably and therefore didn't break anything.He is just an anymous message board poster.

One of them is true, but I didn't break anything because I don't have the credibility of a news organization.

Perhaps "break" was the wrong word. But he was the first one to post anything about it on the board before there was any smoke of any kind about him transferring anywhere at all and he said it was based on an encounter at Pints. And then it ended up being true a week or two later. So maybe he rolled the dice and got lucky or maybe he actually spoke with someone in the know at Pints. I don't really care either way. Definitely not "following" Partyhawk420 for Iowa football news.

No relation but very common surname around the cedar valley. More common then most people think

#legalize

Na. He had it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT