ADVERTISEMENT

On behalf of all of hawkeye nation

Not so fast.

Remember, we have a game in East Lansing coming up. Izzo has already started to grease-up the officials for that one.

On the flip side, they will call a foul on everyone who mauls Garza in the tournament that the Big Ten doesn't call. Iowa doesn't foul an outrageous amount so I think Garza will explode against teams not used to defending him. Better get his free throw stroke perfected during that time.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
The final foul called on Garza was the worst. One camera view had the same view as the ref did that made the call. He could not have seen a foul. He tried to impact the game at that point.

As a former official the best thing that could happen to a person complaining is to send him to official school give him a whistle and laugh as the fans wait outside the gym to beat him up.

You sound like you think they would deserve it. I have officiated and the truth is some officials do deserve a beating. At least in theory. In reality they deserve to not be officials. You know this as well.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
As a former official the best thing that could happen to a person complaining is to send him to official school give him a whistle and laugh as the fans wait outside the gym to beat him up.

I certainly don't think fans should belly-ache about officiating after every single loss. And i certainly don't think we should belly-ache about every single official. But as some have pointed out, 4 of Garza's 5 fouls were called by one official, and that one official has a history of questionable calls.

Certainly YOU would agree that in every profession there are some people who are just bad at their jobs. The truth is, there are some bad officials. Plain and simple. Making them immune from criticism makes it less likely that the bad officiating will ever change.

Reactions: hawkosx
By and large, it seems the game is called much tighter at the NCAA’s. Benefits a good FT shooting team like the Hawks and a player like Garza.

I'm convinced that at least part of the reason that the big ten hasn’t had a national champion in 20 years is due to the differences in officiating. Teams get used to playing physically and then the officiating changes so much in the tournament.

I'm convinced that at least part of the reason that the big ten hasn’t had a national champion in 20 years is due to the differences in officiating. Teams get used to playing physically and then the officiating changes so much in the tournament.
I think this is exactly right. B1G has a big disadvantage when it comes to the NCAA tournament. Been that way for years.

Assuming CJ returns effectively this team could make a nice Sweet 16 run from anywhere but 7-10 spots.

Garzilla is going to draw a lot of fouls in the NCAA. The game is called tighter and Iowa is not a physical team. We do have a foul magnet. The only thing most of the officials will know about Iowa is a superstar center.

If we're lucky enough to catch a smaller team Garzilla will devour them and we'll probably match up well elsewhere. I'd rather be an 11 than a 7-10. This Iowa team need not fear anyone in the 3/6/11/14 bracket.

I think this is exactly right. B1G has a big disadvantage when it comes to the NCAA tournament. Been that way for years.

The shady officiating is a problem and has been for years. How many years did the Knight thugs go like 5-5 in the non conf, win12-15 Big Ten games because they played by an entirely different rule book. Then they'd flame out. More or less every season after the miracle 87 title, also heavily influenced by officiating advantages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT