ADVERTISEMENT

How Are You Guys Feeling Today?

No, I have paid attention and NO WHERE - in CF - is it even close to being lopsided as it is in the B1G CCG. Jesus Christ, The West never won one of these games and most were 20 to 25 point (at least) blowouts

Yes

BIG made sure they had a Playoff Team, If Iowa had made a charge there would have been calls to stop Them , Pretty clear to see, If that replay call had been made in the Mich/ OSU game Cities would still be burning but the B1G has zero problem jobbing Iowa. That said Iowa's offense is beyond terrible , and that is all on Kirk

How are you guys feeling post-game?

I think I’m ready for KF to retire. Our style of football is tolerable when we’re beating the other Big Ten West teams, but we’re pretty much a joke within college football. It’s a tough pill to swallow knowing that if we even had an average offense, we probably beat the #2 team in the nation 4 or 5 times out of 10. Kirk’s inability to adapt offensively and keep running the same outdated scheme season after season tells me he’s not fit to run a Power 5 program anymore.

This whole being loyal to guys like Spencer Petras and Deacon Hill while not giving anyone else a chance is such a slap in the face to the Iowa fans. Why would anyone send their kid to Iowa while our offense is stuck in 1906? If KF is the coach for the next 2 seasons, we already know who’s going to be the QB’s. It’ll be Cade next season and Deacon the season after that. If I’m a QB on the roster, I’m hitting the portal and going elsewhere. And if that doesn’t make your blood boil as a fan, it should.

KF can stand up there and talk about the refs screwing Iowa on the punt return against Minnesota all he wants. I’d rather he give a calculated explanation as to why Deacon Hill is still the QB. Why we’re still running a zone blocking scheme that has been a swinging a door for the last 3 seasons, and why guys like Vines (who is probably the worst WR I’ve seen in an Iowa uniform) are still seeing the field.

I have spent a lot of time and money on Iowa Football, as I’m sure most of you have as well, and this is the product we’re getting. Unless Kirk goes completely hands off on the offense, which I doubt, and brings in an offensive coordinator who isn’t afraid to use a mobile QB and spread the ball out, then he needs to retire. His way or offensive philosophy doesn’t work anymore. It’s not an eye test thing either. The stats clearly back this up. We’re ranked dead last or close to it in every offensive category, and have been the last 3 years.

If you’re not pissed off as Iowa fans, and you’re still drinking the KF Kool-Aid, then you’re not an Iowa fan. You’re a KF fan.
The game score/results are pretty much as expected. I am 100% in agreement with your comments above, but I have stronger feelings than "think" about KF retiring.

I was impressed with Michigan's 2 six yard TD drives and 4 field goals. I knew Iowa would get the short end of the calls but never expected an on the field play, blown incomplete could possible be given away but the Big X had a lot to lose if Michigan falls out of the CP games...
If you travel around CF boards - especially the B1G boards - EVERYONE agrees that Iowa has a top 5 to 10 defense annually. Hats off to Phil Parker who is a top 5 DC.

But, I was watching the game last night and once Michigan got to a 10-0 lead, I knew it was over and that's just pathetic - period. And it isn't just this year - it's year after year. That just points back at the HC

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
I don’t think anyone has ever argued that Michigan and Ohio State aren’t the two best programs in the B1G. BUT, you deal with what’s in front of you, and you play the teams in front of you. Iowa has proved over the years that it is one of the better programs in the country. Not elite like UM or OSU, but good and definitely in the top 20-25 percent of division one programs historically. Maybe even higher. While I agree it’ll be very tough to win the B1G moving forward, I think a program like Iowa can have years where it competes.
PSU has also been better - in most years - than any team in the West

I think I’m ready for KF to retire. Our style of football is tolerable when we’re beating the other Big Ten West teams, but we’re pretty much a joke within college football. It’s a tough pill to swallow knowing that if we even had an average offense, we probably beat the #2 team in the nation 4 or 5 times out of 10. Kirk’s inability to adapt offensively and keep running the same outdated scheme season after season tells me he’s not fit to run a Power 5 program anymore.

This whole being loyal to guys like Spencer Petras and Deacon Hill while not giving anyone else a chance is such a slap in the face to the Iowa fans. Why would anyone send their kid to Iowa while our offense is stuck in 1906? If KF is the coach for the next 2 seasons, we already know who’s going to be the QB’s. It’ll be Cade next season and Deacon the season after that. If I’m a QB on the roster, I’m hitting the portal and going elsewhere. And if that doesn’t make your blood boil as a fan, it should.

KF can stand up there and talk about the refs screwing Iowa on the punt return against Minnesota all he wants. I’d rather he give a calculated explanation as to why Deacon Hill is still the QB. Why we’re still running a zone blocking scheme that has been a swinging a door for the last 3 seasons, and why guys like Vines (who is probably the worst WR I’ve seen in an Iowa uniform) are still seeing the field.

I have spent a lot of time and money on Iowa Football, as I’m sure most of you have as well, and this is the product we’re getting. Unless Kirk goes completely hands off on the offense, which I doubt, and brings in an offensive coordinator who isn’t afraid to use a mobile QB and spread the ball out, then he needs to retire. His way or offensive philosophy doesn’t work anymore. It’s not an eye test thing either. The stats clearly back this up. We’re ranked dead last or close to it in every offensive category, and have been the last 3 years.

If you’re not pissed off as Iowa fans, and you’re still drinking the KF Kool-Aid, then you’re not an Iowa fan. You’re a KF fan.
Prepared myself for the loss in advance. Knew how it would go . Decided to use my time well spent seeing Godzilla .
This morning still woke up knowing our offense sucks and being thankful we only have to see the BF clown show for one more game.

Overall I am disgruntled with college football. The same teams always end up in the playoff mix and everyone knows they are teams that historically have been dirty AF and have violated rules to win. The increase in gambling and replay makes the whole game feel as scripted as WWF. I’ve always enjoyed NFL, but more so now since there are no college playoff teams I would invest time to watch and NFL refs are somewhat accountable.

As for Iowa, Ferentz can be a figurehead given his chase of a record but there needs to be accountability with control at another level. Perhaps an associate head coach or preferably Phil and a new OC have full authority to call the game.

Reactions: DewHawk
I just feel so awful for PP and the defense. They hold one of the best offenses in the country to ~150 yards and 10 points less than their average despite the offense and special teams gifting them 2 touchdowns with drives <10 yards. This defense belongs on TV today watching the CFP selection show, while the offense doesn't deserve playing for the Div III championship. So maddening as a fan; I can't imagine what it's like for Craig, Jackson, Evans, Castro, etc.

I lot to unpack if you look at the overall program. The problem is, our offense is SO BAD that nibbling around the edges is not going to make any meaningful changes.

Here are some of my observations from the Michigan game, then overall/macro:

BTCG:

-Special Teams "TD" was significant and while game was still only 10-0, it felt like any further deficit was going to be a killer
-Once we had to basically "abandon" the run, we had no chance
-Our O line really makes things difficult, and while not "terrible" they just did not open enough running holes or give Hill the time needed to get the ball to our not so great receivers
-A few key dropped passes (Ragaini, Vines) were huge as they were 20+ yards
-Obviously the fumbles were just devastating and highlighted Hill's lack of pocket awareness
-Not blaming the loss on the refs of course, but even Dean Blandino threw up on the booth overturn of the Hill incomplete pass + play blown dead - just crushed any minute chance we had for a comeback
-I would have liked to have seen Labas or Lainez, and this game put a gigantic explanation point on fact that we must have a QB who is either elusive in the pocket, can get out and gain yards with his feet or both
-Felt we should have take a few more chances, maybe on a 4th and 1, call a play action to try and catch them off guard and get some points OR a double move/fake pass to flat - we were just so predictable (realize Hill had very limited time, but pull in an extra blocker)

Longer team implications:

Its not just playcalling, it is needing a reset to want to be aggressive on offense and expect to score points.

-Creative, confident OC
-Head coach that is innovative and understands the importance of scoring/offense in todays game
-Higher priority on recruiting quality skill players, especially WR
-Have to find a way to get O line play back to at least above average
-MUST have different QB recruiting strategy or one that fits the rest of the offense. (It boggles my mind that we keep recruiting and playing statue "pro style" QB's yet do not make NFL/Pro style throws, have below average O lines and generally well below average WR's)

0c53cbfb-4d31-4820-a600-18ee55a1f50a_text.gif

Reactions: CAhawki
I expected the D to eventually collapse under pressure like the PSU game but they didn't. I thought going in Iowa would lose 40 something to nothing. The D didn't allow that. I was offered a $50 bet by a Mich grad on whether Iowa would score or not. I didn't even have to think about it and wisely said no with a laugh. Iowa is not a good team. They are not a top 25 team. We have played only two and have lost by a combined score of 57 - 0. I am expecting Iowa to move to 0 - 3 against teams in the top 35 after the bowl. I just hope we score a point.

Hungover
Cashed in on a couple bets last night.
Michigan -21.5, unders 35.5, Iowa unders .5
Had the sex with my lady (no pics)

Reactions: gamedayron01
Crazy enough, I thought it went better than expected. Michigans offense couldn’t do shit, outside their short fields with the punt return and asinine replay overturn. Score was close to what I expected but damn the D was salty.
Michigan was held to 12 points on drives that started outside Iowa's 6 yard line. An offense with a hint of life and this game goes down to the wire.

Meh, Michigan is gonna lose to Bama in the farce that is the CFP so I'm okay with how things played out, considering we never were given a chance to win anyway.

I feel great! 812 days sober. I don't even remember my last hangover now.

College Football is just a game 18-23 year olds play for entertainment. Going on 40 now I'm glad I don't dwell on losses like I did in my teens and 20's. Meaningless.

There is so much more to life than football/sports. A 10 win season is far more than I expected after the early season injuries happened. I'm happy and content
Why did you stop drinking?

You do you my friend. I remember making comments like that.

Alcohol is just poison put in the body to dull your brain and alter your nervous system. Far more harm than good. Glad I figured that out before it was too late.
I’m pretty sure you can have a beer. Just try it.

I'm actually feeling ok about Kirk and the direction. Michigan was widely pedestrian IMO. I think actually getting a kick a** OC and some portal help on offense, Iowa can compete for NY6.

As long a Phil is around, 10 wins is doable about every year, after what we have seen the last 5 years.

Last night was about what I expected. I felt pretty indifferent then and I am pretty indifferent today.

I have a feeling I’m one of many Iowa fans just ready for the Brian Ferentz disaster to be over.

Every site can be an AA site. Never miss an opportunity to help someone that may need it. Alcoholics are often selfish people that don't even realize it
Well of course....push your nonsense onto anyone everywhere you can!

Multiple reasons. My wife and I are from small town Iowa where all there seemingly is to do is drink socially. She got sober 10 years ago and i switched to drinking Vodka at the time, instead of beer, so I wouldn't be "drinking in front of her" I had Tito's locked in my gun safe so she couldn't see or get to it. (I used to drink WildTurkey in my 20's.. Explains my handle.. I know.. I know... 😆 )

Over the years since then, I progressed to drinking vodka everyday as soon as I got off work. I could drink a fifth a night no problem and a Handle on Saturdays/Sundays. Im not bragging because it's not about comparing how much you can drink vs someone else. That's just how far I had progressed in my alcoholism.

My wife got pregnant in 2018 and I knew it was finally time to straighten up. I tried many times on my own to quit, but it just wasn't that easy for a 20 year boozer like me. Withdrawals are very real! I ended up going to the Betty Ford Center in Minnesota and got myself some professional help for a month. It was one of the greatest decisions I've made as an adult. My relationship with my wife is wonderful now. I have a lot more money in the bank. I feel great most everyday.. I have found my serenity in life.

Neither of my 2 sons will ever know me as a drunk as long as I stay on track. One day at a time. Sober Life truly is the best Life.

The first and biggest step is admitting you're powerless over alcohol. It gets easier after that imo.

I know some of you rolled your eyes when you just read this, and that's ok. I don't mind at all. That's the other great thing about almost being 40. I just don't care what people think of me anymore
Congratulations and kudos to you! What you are doing is not easy.

Reactions: WildTurk
I just feel so awful for PP and the defense. They hold one of the best offenses in the country to ~150 yards and 10 points less than their average despite the offense and special teams gifting them 2 touchdowns with drives <10 yards. This defense belongs on TV today watching the CFP selection show, while the offense doesn't deserve playing for the Div III championship. So maddening as a fan; I can't imagine what it's like for Craig, Jackson, Evans, Castro, etc.

I wouldn’t let it eat you up. He was crying a couple weeks ago presenting him with a game ball. So he clearly respects him as a coach and loves working for him….😂

He’ll be fine…I do so enjoy pointing that out to you guys though 😊 in your fantasy worlds Phil is mad as hell at Kf, but he isn’t…

I expected the D to eventually collapse under pressure like the PSU game but they didn't. I thought going in Iowa would lose 40 something to nothing. The D didn't allow that. I was offered a $50 bet by a Mich grad on whether Iowa would score or not. I didn't even have to think about it and wisely said no with a laugh. Iowa is not a good team. They are not a top 25 team. We have played only two and have lost by a combined score of 57 - 0. I am expecting Iowa to move to 0 - 3 against teams in the top 35 after the bowl. I just hope we score a point.

Didn’t we play two top 10 teams….

And K-St and Okie St lost to ISU, so you know, of course we couldn’t beat them….

Doh?!

Let's be completely honest. The ONLY reason that Iowa was in 3 CCG appearances is because of the ridiculous - absolutely ridiculous - division setups in the B1G. Those were not the 2 best teams in the conference last night or in previous years. All of the power is - and has been in the East again.....like in all of the previous years

Most of the B1G championship games were complete blowouts and the West never won one of those games. Thank God it ends after this year. You'll have a better chance of hitting the lottery than one of the current West teams playing in a B1G CCG going forward
We were there because the hawks won more games than the rest of the division. We didn't pick it, the boys just won enough games put in front of them. Another elite defense hung out to dry. 10 wins on their shoulders. Hoping for bowl victory. GO HAWKS

Nothing unexpected about this game given our complete ineptitude offensively. Our defense was terrific as usual and the final score was not indicative of how close this game could have been minus the unfortunate turnovers and the blown fumble call. It will be interesting how many offensive players jump into the portal tomorrow - specifically the backup QB's. Being a backup QB at Iowa and watching Hill play quarterback would certainly beg the question - "why aren't I at least given a shot?"

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Keep everything the same, insert a genuine mobile qb with pocket awareness and everything changes when defenses have to account for the scramble. Can’t believe that this hasn’t been the norm after Banks in 02.
Legit WR wouldn’t hurt either.

Explain why anyone on a football board wants/needs to listen to a pious, reformed drunk preach about the evils of Satan’s beverage?

Because many of us have been there. And many of us actually like to empathize & lift people up and be joyful and positive. It is the major reason we get super ass tired of the complaining. We have that in our real life’s. We don’t need it here.

It’s one thing to point out mistakes, it’s another entirely to make it a life style like many of you.

Congrats @WildTurk I quit for 17 years, restarted, vodka, over did it and now quit except when on vacation or going to friend weekends out of town.

It definitely can take on a life of its own!!

Kudos….

Reactions: WildTurk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT