ADVERTISEMENT

On Feb 21, 2020, Connor was averaging one turnover every 43 minutes.

I don't think that Conner's percentage is nearly as low as it looks. I would guess that he is shooting somewhere above 40% from the arc, in the flow of the offense.

Unfortunately, when the offense stalls and the shot clock is about to expire, a Conner 3-ball is often our best opportunity. And truthfully, he has hit a couple of those...but I am certain it hasn't been at a 30% clip.

Go Hawks!

There have been a number of Connor appreciation threads and I don't want to over do it...but, I suspect that not just his mental toughness, high level competitiveness, and smarts on the floor, but I think he influences and calms the team and allows them to operate much more efficiently. He is really a coach on the floor. I think his value to this team is even more than many of us who appreciate him, realize.

I think that if he was taken out of the lineup for one game we might not see much difference....but over a period of time I think we might see some bad habits creep back in and the efficiency decrease.

I also thought his defense vs Ohio State was really really good.

If Connor can get his 3 PT FG% Up to about 35-36% - would pull defense out even further. I could not find his B1G only stats but have to think he might be shooting somewhere close to that given his momentum.
34.8% since the beginning of 2020. 34.7% including the 2 early B1G games.

Reactions: tedboy78
Point player. He is head-and-shoulders above everyone else on the team as far as passing goes. One of the best in the country.
Yeah, he's a solid passer but he isn't a point anything this year and that's a big reason he is contributing more....might occasionally bring ball up floor but not being asked to be a primary ball handler which is good. He was playing the 4 before cj got hurt. His versatility his biggest asset IMO

Yeah, he's a solid passer but he isn't a point anything this year and that's a big reason he is contributing more....might occasionally bring ball up floor but not being asked to be a primary ball handler which is good. He was playing the 4 before cj got hurt. His versatility his biggest asset IMO
I hear what you are saying, but it sure seems to me that the ball is in his hands a lot in the biggest possessions of the game. That is probably indicative of being the point.

Reactions: BBHawk and hawki68
He gets the team points mostly through other players instead of himself. That, to me, is the true definition of a point.

He gets the team points mostly through other players instead of himself. That, to me, is the true definition of a point.

Obviously it matters not how you want to label him. Injuries have forced him into a more versatile role which I think plays to his strengths. Connor serves us much better as a utility player rather than back up point guard. He simply passes well from whatever position he finds himself on the court.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I don't think that Conner's percentage is nearly as low as it looks. I would guess that he is shooting somewhere above 40% from the arc, in the flow of the offense.

Unfortunately, when the offense stalls and the shot clock is about to expire, a Conner 3-ball is often our best opportunity. And truthfully, he has hit a couple of those...but I am certain it hasn't been at a 30% clip.

Go Hawks!

Great example where stats dont tell the whole story. 1. as both of us noted, he is shooting better from 3 as of late than his overall percentage would indicate (thanks Mepo for the 35% stat since 1/1) and 2. Connor is obviously not a high volume guy, almost always wide open type shots, where Weezy is expected to shoot often and usually pretty contested at that.

Hopefully Connor can keep trending up on his outside shot, could easily see him being a 40% 3 point shooter by Senior year, if not sooner.

He changed our team last year. His attitude and dedication to the team is contagious. Some players have to play roles, it’s a humbling experience for some but if you want to win it must be done.

Hea definitely our glue guy this year in the absence of Baer. He has hit timely threes all season too, similar to Baer. He seems to sense the moment and it heightens his focus. Frederick and Bohannon do this well too. Big shot moments will be abundant in the upcoming tourneys. I wouldn’t be surprised if our hopes hinge on the play of Connor.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Connor knows the offense as well as any player on the team. He can direct traffic, read the defense, and not only get the ball to the right player, but do it in a way that sets them up to make a play. He's like a QB that can throw his wide receiver open.

Connor did a radio interview yesterday where he talked about his role on the team. He plays some 1, 2 and 4, depending on the matchup and Iowa's personnel. He views himself as a facilitator first and foremost. He's a point guard who is versatile enough to play multiple positions. And that's extremely valuable.

Connor knows the offense as well as any player on the team. He can direct traffic, read the defense, and not only get the ball to the right player, but do it in a way that sets them up to make a play. He's like a QB that can throw his wide receiver open.

Connor did a radio interview yesterday where he talked about his role on the team. He plays some 1, 2 and 4, depending on the matchup and Iowa's personnel. He views himself as a facilitator first and foremost. He's a point guard who is versatile enough to play multiple positions. And that's extremely valuable.
I think facillitator best describes him. He's not really a true point "guard" in the way we think about some one who get beat defenders off the dribble, but he can set the offense in motion by direction, understanding angles, and being an outstanding post feeder. Not afraid to stick his nose in for the dig or tough rebound on defense either. He also has that "bring the fight to you" attitude thats been missing from this team for awhile. This team seems to thrive on that with CMac, Luka, and CJF as primary examples...

That stat is very awesome for Connor, and Iowa.

Have I just tuned it out, or has it seemed like the Hawks - as a team - haven't turned the ball over too excessively for the past few games? I don't remember a time, recently, where I was internally ranting to myself that they were turning the ball over too much.

Lol what

Motivated. Hungry. Doesn't back down to anyone.

9681870.jpg

Last edited:
Connor=Gritty, takes care of the ball, good passer, looks to distribute and a good free throw shooter.
I know some like to see flash, but I will take solid with limited turnovers anyday over a behind the back pass.

The biggest thing I like about him as he takes no BS from anyone.

Growing up watching his dad's practices his entire life has given him the ability to play without thinking in this offense.

Reactions: perryhawk
Connor=Gritty, takes care of the ball, good passer, looks to distribute and a good free throw shooter.
I know some like to see flash, but I will take solid with limited turnovers anyday over a behind the back pass.

The biggest thing I like about him as he takes no BS from anyone.

Your last sentence was the best. For years it seemed Iowa was soft when things got intense. With CM and the rest of the “gang” that is no longer the case.

Reactions: Ronman

Good but also needs to be looked at in context. He has a very low usage so the ball doesn't go through him much. Wieskamp actually has a lower turnover percentage at a much higher usage rate and most impressively, Garza had the lowest turnover rate on the team and had by far the highest usage rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
It seems every successful team has a guy like CM, and he's only going to get better

True. You need guys like him on the team that don't mind not being the focal point of anything and just do the little things. Definitely will be one of the best glue guys in the country next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT