ADVERTISEMENT

Just look at 2020 offense vs '21 and '22

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
All three years Petras was the starting qb. Iowa's offense in 2020 was ranked about 85 but they scored a lot of points. They scorched some defenses after fumbling away the Purdue game and not taking advantages of turnovers in the jNW game.

I have been watching a lot of replays lately heading into the season and to me there is absolutely one major aspect of the offense the made 2020 avg while '21 and '22 were pretty dreadful, and that is the offensive line. The 2020 Oline had senior Alaric Jackson at left tackle, iirc Kallenberger stepped in and played very well at right tackle, Linderbaum was at center and they had some older, better guys at guard who had come back from some injuries. The line was very good.

Boy, '21 and '22 showed how key it is in Kirk Ball to have at least average to very good offensive lines. Without them we saw poor run blocking,

Speaking of replays I watched the 2002 Iowa vs PSU game last night and it was fun watching Fred Russell operating behind that incredible line! It was also cool seeing our offense with a QB who could make plays with his feet. That O-line was stacked with bad-asses! No problems moving the ball!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT