ADVERTISEMENT

One of the joys of living by the Mississippi River!

Okay, what transgression by you, torbee, caused this biblical plague?

C'mon, tell us. It's part of God's 12-step redemption plan, I think.

Reactions: GOHOX69
3.jpg

As a kid in a river town, we would shake the bushes after a “fish fly” hatch and then let them cover us like a full body beard of bees.

As a trout fishing adult, I know that they are Hexagenia Limbata and they portend good fishing if you time it right, terrible if you come too late. They are a sign of a healthy ecosystem.

Yesterday AM I was traveling a SE MN hwy, and there was one big yellow Hex on the gas pump. I grabbed it by the wings and it rode with me on the dash. (Weeeeeeeeeeeee)
achn481.jpg

I remember back in the early 60s, they made it to Mt. Pleasant and of course were attracted to lights, like a gas station for example. They stink too.

Sometimes they are so thick that they show up on weather radar.

Just perused the QC NWS radar...QC to Belleview looks like they're showing up quite nicely.

I was trying to make up my mind about heading up to the river tomorrow morning for fireworks...decision has now been made for me. I'm betting anything/anybody staying along the river are miserable.

DON'T PARK UNDER ANY STREET LIGHTS!

Don't be pussies. All you hrot athletic studs know that is pure protein. Get your blenders going and make yourselves smoothies. Enjoy the pump.

Reactions: torbee and ghost80
Don't be pussies. All you hrot athletic studs know that is pure protein. Get your blenders going and make yourselves smoothies. Enjoy the pump.

Just an fyi about the protein factor that I learned a few years back regarding black bears and mayflies...when they are this thick the dead mayflies can coat the water surface to such an extent that bears will wade out into the shallow lake water and slurp them down for the protein.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and ghost80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT