ADVERTISEMENT

One thing I don’t understand…

herkyhawk00

HR Legend
Jan 28, 2008
Iowa is not afraid to tell linemen or other players that they need to lose weight or gain weight to improve their performance. Why is it we have had Deacon Hill since the Spring and he has not lost 30 lbs? Hell, being that he has been a starter for the last 8 weeks, we could have had him at least to 240. It just shows we have zero expectations for our qb other than to hand it off or throw it. We don’t seem to care quickness or ability to maneuver in the pocket. I just don’t understand what serious power 5 qb allows himself to get that heavy. Hill at 225 is much much better than Hill at 260.

chris farley fat guy in a little coat GIF

I'm not sure it's terribly healthy to drop 20 pounds in 8 weeks. With that being said, I agree he needs to get in shape.

Reactions: bIhawk
I’m guessing they don’t encourage diet changes in season. But even cutting junk carbs and he would have been able to lose 15-25lbs without any negative effects. I know they won’t do anything but I’d put a BMI limit for none lineman positions. Shows more about the individuals determination than anything else…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The problem is not weight as much as it's QB mechanics. Footwork needs to get quicker and releases faster.
(That's why it's critical to get a QB/OC that understands that)
He throws a bullet pass, but his release takes too long allowing the rush to get there. Most RPO QBs these days are getting the ball off so quick that it's impossible to ever sack them.

The problem is not weight as much as it's QB mechanics. Footwork needs to get quicker and releases faster.
(That's why it's critical to get a QB/OC that understands that)
He throws a bullet pass, but his release takes too long allowing the rush to get there. Most RPO QBs these days are getting the ball off so quick that it's impossible to ever sack them.
The weight limits his mobility and his ability to make plays with his legs. It’s like we have no desire whatsoever to make that even a possibility. It shocks me we haven’t used any wildcat having three competent rb’s. That would at least allow us to run read option. It’s not like we haven’t run it before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT