ADVERTISEMENT

Should college wrestling ADD a weight or two?

Well, Dub….I thought I was in the thread discussing an increase in points for a reversal. It would appear I posted in the wrong thread. Perhaps it was all just a bad dream🤨? Going back to sleep now…
All good. You were in the right thread. dub’s glaucoma is acting up again and he may have been too medicated to see the post a few above yours….😉

Reactions: Bones Malone
Since you seem to disagree, let's see your data refuting my statement. I'm not saying that there are no seniors wrestling and succeeding at 125, just that fewer of them seem to be doing so versus yesteryear without weight issues than at other weights IMHO. It is an opinion and maybe faulty memory but I'll own it. You can disagree with a better, more factual reply if you wish.
well, for starters, five of the eight ncaa aa's last year were super seniors.

Spencer- 6th year
Cronin - 7th year
Glory - 5th year
Cardinale - 6th year
Courtney - 6th year

And I saw a yellow bellied unicorn with a rainbow colored mane. I even took a picture of it. But, I’m not sharing it here…
Well good, then that settles it.

College wrestling should add a weight above 200 lbs because there are lots of great athletes aged 18-22 that weigh over 200 lbs.

Thanks for meeting me in the middle on this, and for doing your part to make this a reality! :D

GG no re, as the kids would say...........

All good. You were in the right thread. dub’s glaucoma is acting up again and he may have been too medicated to see the post a few above yours….😉
Nice to know I've not lost my mind. Thanks for the help.

God told me that NCAA wrestling needs a 220 class.
However, He wants us to establish it of our own Free Will.
There are theological implications here, but I won't digress there.

One of the best Iowa wrestlers was 115 lb, not I'm saying that weight should come back, tho.
I wouldn't have a problem with a placeholder weight. You look at ~103 in HS, which has always been an entry point for the smallest guys, and rarely do you get career 103 Albers.

But I also get some want consistent classes where guys can compete at that weight their whole careers.

Don’t get me wrong. I would LOVE for college wrestling to be popular and profitable to the point we could have more weight classes. But, that simply isn’t the case.

Adding a weight class simply isn’t feasible under the current climate, but if it were to be done it should absolutely be in the middle were both quality and quantity is best represented…
Spoken like a true 158-pounder. ;) .
I wouldn't have a problem with a placeholder weight. You look at ~103 in HS, which has always been an entry point for the smallest guys, and rarely do you get career 103 Albers.

But I also get some want consistent classes where guys can compete at that weight their whole careers.
I agree that HS 106-pounders rarely become D1 125s, but in Iowa, a LOT of schools can't field a 106-pounder these days. Or a 220-pounder, for that matter. As far as weights where a guy can wrestle for four years, some guys grow. It doesn't matter what the weight is, there are guys that will stay four years in one class, and others that will move up. maybe multiple times (see Kyle Dake).

I have always thought there should be a weight class somewhere between 215 and 230, but Title IX screwed that up a long time ago. Schools are cutting men's programs even today, using finances and Title IX as an excuse. They are not going to add extra "players" and therefore more scholarships to a non-revenue sport. I think there have been a good number of guys that would have benefitted from that weight class, but as MSU says, it would be hard for many teams to fill that weight class. Football takes a good number of athletes in that weight range out of the equation, and many guys who can play college football (and, in their eyes have a shot at the NFL), will choose football over wrestling. Sad, but factual. As I said before, the career 106 and 113 guys that want to keep wrestling take their game to D3 or NAIA, because they can't compete in D1. Contrary to what is often talked about on here, some people's metabolism at that age just won't let you lift hard and eat well and gain 15-20 pounds of muscle. Some can, some can't.

Sadly, those days are long gone. How I made that weight I have no idea. With today's rules, it never would have been possible...
I can relate. I was a 118-126 in college, and the past 15 years have spent more time at 200+ than 170 or less.

I can relate. I was a 118-126 in college, and the past 15 years have spent more time at 200+ than 170 or less.
Yeah, most of my weight has always been from the hips down(big butt and legs) and essentially impervious to weight cutting. Once I got pretty big into the gym in my upper 20's, the upper body eventually caught up. Now, you would need to start chopping off limb(s) to try to get me back there. Add in what gravity does to you in your upper 40's and there isn't a diet out there, even when followed by literal starvation that wouldn't almost certainly kill me before I ever made it to 158...

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Spoken like a true 158-pounder. ;) .

I agree that HS 106-pounders rarely become D1 125s, but in Iowa, a LOT of schools can't field a 106-pounder these days. Or a 220-pounder, for that matter. As far as weights where a guy can wrestle for four years, some guys grow. It doesn't matter what the weight is, there are guys that will stay four years in one class, and others that will move up. maybe multiple times (see Kyle Dake).

I have always thought there should be a weight class somewhere between 215 and 230, but Title IX screwed that up a long time ago. Schools are cutting men's programs even today, using finances and Title IX as an excuse. They are not going to add extra "players" and therefore more scholarships to a non-revenue sport. I think there have been a good number of guys that would have benefitted from that weight class, but as MSU says, it would be hard for many teams to fill that weight class. Football takes a good number of athletes in that weight range out of the equation, and many guys who can play college football (and, in their eyes have a shot at the NFL), will choose football over wrestling. Sad, but factual. As I said before, the career 106 and 113 guys that want to keep wrestling take their game to D3 or NAIA, because they can't compete in D1. Contrary to what is often talked about on here, some people's metabolism at that age just won't let you lift hard and eat well and gain 15-20 pounds of muscle. Some can, some can't.
Take some from our HS. We have plenty of 106, 113 kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT