ADVERTISEMENT

Open letter from Barta

dbrocket

HR MVP
Jan 5, 2010
This letter is really bad in my opinion. It seems to amount of blowing a lot of smoke up a lot of butts and then saying their policy won't change. At this point, it feels like they just don't want players to get a cut of donor money.

He just converted me to the "fire Barta" crowd.

This letter is really bad in my opinion. It seems to amount of blowing a lot of smoke up a lot of butts and then saying their policy won't change. At this point, it feels like they just don't want players to get a cut of donor money.

Ya think maybe he has received advice from Legal? Seems like we need to follow whatever rules / laws there are currently. Whether we like those rules / laws or not.

Ya think maybe he has received advice from Legal? Seems like we need to follow whatever rules / laws there are currently. Whether we like those rules / laws or not.
I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that because I can't see any logical rationale for it being okay to work with the collective, but not to share information. The idea that the latter would link them closely enough to cause Title IX problems and the former would not seems absurd to me.

It seems more likely that they're protecting their financial resources, which would be wildly misguided, but in line with how he has acted previously.

I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that because I can't see any logical rationale for it being okay to work with the collective, but not to share information.

It's not okay for the University to "work" with the collective,.. pretty simple concept.

I am sure they can not just disclose the email address database to whomever they wish, which seems to be what SWARM asked for. I now my company has to send out annual disclosures as to what information we keep, how it is used, and that we will not sell/distribute their information (letter just went out last week) and I am sure the university has the same restrictions.

Looks to me like Barta is doing everything he can within the parameters the university has set, and I am no fan of Barta.

Reactions: BBHawk
They already are. The open letter even said as much. What are you talking about?

The letter indicates numerous times that interaction between the University and the Swarm will be very limited in nature,.. I'm talking about that.

I am sure they can not just disclose the email address database to whomever they wish, which seems to be what SWARM asked for. I now my company has to send out annual disclosures as to what information we keep, how it is used, and that we will not sell/distribute their information (letter just went out last week) and I am sure the university has the same restrictions.

Looks to me like Barta is doing everything he can within the parameters the university has set, and I am no fan of Barta.
Universities sometimes share donor lists with non profits. I know, because my late wife worked for a foundation within a university and helped with fundraising.

And also, if nothing else, they could simply ask donors whether they wanted them to share that info and then share the list of people who opted in.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO. I seriously doubt that there is anything Barta could do that would be seen as positive in some posters' eyes.

Reactions: 83Hawk

To me it’s the opposite. Says they’re willing to help Swarm but not going to hand over private/sensitive information to Swarm, a 3rd party.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO. I seriously doubt that there is anything Barta could do that would be seen as positive in some posters' eyes.
Besides follow the “rules and guidelines” set in place to stop nepotism at the University of Iowa. You are right. He shouldn’t be able to pick and choose!!! Be interesting to hear what his “annual review” with Brian will be like.

I actually (surprisingly) don’t see this as a huge deal/I don’t think Barta is in the wrong….

However….

If it finally convinces a lot of you to join me on the “Fire Barta” train….than who am I to disagree?

Reactions: millah_22

If this email is the final straw that moved you into the ”fire Barta” crowd, I’m not sure I can take your opinion seriously. Barta should have been fired with cause years ago because of his multiple lost lawsuits.

"We've all been inundated with new terms like the Transfer Portal"

that term's been around a few years. nice that Gary's learning about it now though.
The transfer portal as we now know it didn't start until May of 2021. Before that it was only for grad students and undergrad kids whovwere willing to sit out a year.

And NIL didn't start until fall of 2021. So it hasn't been a few years, just a little over a year.

I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that because I can't see any logical rationale for it being okay to work with the collective, but not to share information. The idea that the latter would link them closely enough to cause Title IX problems and the former would not seems absurd to me.

It seems more likely that they're protecting their financial resources, which would be wildly misguided, but in line with how he has acted previously.
Seems to me you are not an attorney.

To me it’s the opposite. Says they’re willing to help Swarm but not going to hand over private/sensitive information to Swarm, a 3rd party.
I am a donor to the university of iowa at a decent level. Never in the millions but not pennies either. I would be pissed if some organization outside the university started contacting me about donations to their cause because I am a donor to Iowa and they got my info from the university. If I am capable of making decently sized donations I am capable or finding the swarm and giving if I want. It isn't like they are a secret and unlike other charitable organizations the university and athletic department is actively marketing for them

That Gary even wrote this letter should be a clear sign of support. That it isn't seen that way should give everyone pause on the influence of collectives in general. How much influence and access do they expect? No...there needs to be a clear line set and respected between the two organizations

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT