ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think Caitlin has been affected by the recent crap coming her way from the VERY FEW idiots on the national scene

Hawkman34

HR All-American
Mar 17, 2002
I mean, it kinda feels like since the Swoopes crap came out (around the time she broke the record), that she has been just "off" and that is saying a LOT when this GOAT just put up another freaking triple double. I am just wondering if maybe it is just kind of getting to her just a bit.

Reactions: DewHawk
I doubt the Swoopes or JWilliams news has as much of an effect as the constant attention everywhere she goes does.

I'm reminded of the shot of MJ in The Last Dance, after the Bulls beat the Trailblazers I believe, where MJ asks the Bulls PR guy if he can just sit in a room by himself for a few minutes. I don't think any of us regular folk can imagine how exhausting it is to live under the microscope like she does.

I can't think of another female college athlete that has ever received as much attention as she does.

She had a triple double today. Sure she didn’t shoot great but the rest of her game isn’t lacking.
Absolutly agree....it just seems like her shooting efficiency is not typical Caitlin the last two games. Which, as I said is a joke to even say when she is putting up another triple double. She is really just AMAZING. I don't know HOW she deals with all of this.

I doubt the Swoopes or JWilliams news has as much of an effect as the constant attention everywhere she goes does.

I'm reminded of the shot of MJ in The Last Dance, after the Bulls beat the Trailblazers I believe, where MJ asks the Bulls PR guy if he can just sit in a room by himself for a few minutes. I don't think any of us regular folk can even imagine how exhausting it is to live under the microscope like she does.

I can't think of another female college athlete that has ever received as much attention as she does.
AMEN!!!!

she isn't super human. she had a triple double. no offense but lol.

This is what happens in the social media / every game on TV age. Jordan had bad games and slumps too, he just wasn't under the microscope where every game, every shot, every play was scrutinized in real time and 24/7 where the whole country could view and chime in.

Reactions: Hawkman34
I mean, it kinda feels like since the Swoopes crap came out (around the time she broke the record), that she has been just "off" and that is saying a LOT when this GOAT just put up another freaking triple double. I am just wondering if maybe it is just kind of getting to her just a bit.
More likely it was the chase of the record that has sapped some of CC's energy. It was definitely in the minds of the whole team in the Nebraska game and it affected their performance.

And as long as people keep incorrectly calling CC the GOAT, she will be receiving some backlash. It's just simply disrespectful to all the other greats of the women's game.

Do you honestly think CC is the greatest women's basketball player of all time? If not, stop recklessly throwing around the term GOAT. I know kids these days think it's cool to call everything the GOAT. Simply, it just is not cool at all, and again, is very disrespectful

Reactions: nu2u
she isn't super human. she had a triple double. no offense but lol.

This is what happens in the social media / every game on TV age. Jordan had bad games and slumps too, he just wasn't under the microscope where every game, every shot, every play was scrutinized in real time and 24/7 where the whole country could view and chime in.
Totally agree and no offense taken. I just can't imagine dealing with EVERYTHING and not being affected in some way. As I said, it speaks to her being the GOAT that people would look at a triple double as not being quite a typical Caitlin performance. :)

More likely it was the chase of the record that has sapped some of CC's energy. It was definitely in the minds of the whole team in the Nebraska game and it affected their performance.

And as long as people keep incorrectly calling CC the GOAT, she will be receiving some backlash. It's just simply disrespectful to all the other greats of the women's game.

Do you honestly think CC is the greatest women's basketball player of all time? If not, stop recklessly throwing around the term GOAT. I know kids these days think it's cool to call everything the GOAT. Simply, it just is not cool at all, and again, is very disrespectful
I agree about the chase being the thing that had to have zapped at least some of her energy.

Now, you abviously do not agree about her being the GOAT. Can I ask.....do you look upon any athelete as the GOAT in any sport? Or, do you just think that there simply is not one person who could be considered that?

And yes, I honestly think she is the GOAT of Womens College Basketball. Not just because of what I can see with my own eyes, but because of what others, who have followed the womens game and know the history of the players, have said she is the GOAT.

Totally agree and no offense taken. I just can't imagine dealing with EVERYTHING and not being affected in some way. As I said, it speaks to her being the GOAT that people would look at a triple double as not being quite a typical Caitlin performance. :)
I know. it's just different now. there was no X, Facebook, multiple national sports channels, First Take, PTI, national radio, podcasts, message boards, etc etc.

athletes now are under a world wide microscope where things are covered and analyzed 24×7 and available to everyone.

everyone wants the same or more. She is fine. If she had this same game 2 years ago she would be praised. Now she needs to score 50, have 20 assists, and 15 rebounds to move the needle.

I know. it's just different now. there was no X, Facebook, multiple national sports channels, First Take, PTI, national radio, podcasts, message boards, etc etc.

athletes now are under a world wide microscope where things are covered and analyzed 24×7 and available to everyone.
AMEN!!!! Just unreal when you think about it.

I agree about the chase being the thing that had to have zapped at least some of her energy.

Now, you abviously do not agree about her being the GOAT. Can I ask.....do you look upon any athelete as the GOAT in any sport? Or, do you just think that there simply is not one person who could be considered that?

And yes, I honestly think she is the GOAT of Womens College Basketball. Not just because of what I can see with my own eyes, but because of what others, who have followed the womens game and know the history of the players, have said she is the GOAT.
In some sports there is a clear GOAT. Such as Simone Biles, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, Novak Djokovic. I do think Alcaraz will pass Djokovic if he stays healthy. But at this point, I'm never going to call anyone other than Djokovic the GOAT.

Jordan is the GOAT. Some people who are wrong say it's LeBron. But women's basketball is nothing like any of these examples. There are several women who have strong arguments in this conversation. Which means there really isn't a GOAT.

If you think CC is the GOAT of women's college basketball then you should make that distinction when you call her the GOAT. Otherwise it is reckless usage of the term that is disrespectful to the greats of the women's pro game.

As far as the college GOAT, again I feel there are several women in the conversation, which means there is no clear GOAT. There are plenty of people who agree with me and this is evident by some of the backlash that CC is receiving (which btw, is unfair to her). But far too many people have thoughtlessly just crowned CC the GOAT, because GOAT crowning is the cool thing to do these days, and many of the past greats are rightfully pissed about it

Last edited:
I think the chase for the record, plus the constant microscope, plus the fan expectations, her own expectations, the minutes and the being admired/hounded everywhere she goes….

Not to mention staying and signing 100s of autographs after every single game has to be exhausting….

As you saw tonight, I believe Bluder will continue to cut back her minutes and sub her more regularly as we move forward. I do think Tanner McCabe will continue to get a few more minutes as well Affolter but it’s also why Gabby Marshall’s minutes aren’t likely to be cut much more because, CC needs to have a couple breaks every game…she got them tonight ..

I also think you will begin to see a more concerted effort of them getting Martin and HS and Davis involved in the game early and often…

And I “hope” CC starts taking it to the rack a little bit more again…

Tournament time is coming. She will need a better supporting cast of players stepping up to get further in the tournament this year. This team is very beatable as proven by players not scoring when Catlin 's shot is not falling. Hense more player combinations lately and Catlin getting a rest more.

In some sports there is a clear GOAT. Such as Simone Biles, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, Novak Djokovic. I do think Alcaraz will pass Djokovic if he stays healthy. But at this point, I'm never going to call anyone other than Djokovic the GOAT.

Jordan is the GOAT. Some people who are wrong say it's LeBron. But women's basketball is nothing like any of these examples. There are several women who have strong arguments in this conversation. Which means there really isn't a GOAT.

If you think CC is the GOAT of women's college basketball then you should make that distinction when you call her the GOAT. Otherwise it is reckless usage of the term that is disrespectful to the greats of the women's pro game.

As far as the college GOAT, again I feel there are several women in the conversation, which means there is no clear GOAT. There are plenty of people who agree with me and this is evident by some of the backlash that CC is receiving (which btw, is unfair to her). But far too many people have thoughtlessly just crowned CC the GOAT, because GOAT crowning is the cool thing to do these days, and many of the past greats are rightfully pissed about it
There is no universal metric for the GOAT. It's all opinion.

Tournament time is coming. She will need a better supporting cast of players stepping up to get further in the tournament this year. This team is very beatable as proven by players not scoring when Catlin 's shot is not falling. Hense more player combinations lately and Catlin getting a rest more.

Your premise is sound, with that said, I still believe this team is better than last years team, even with the 2 recent losses.

Based on breaking down last year vs this year….this will be heresy to some, but if you put Monica back on this team, I believe you could make a case they shoot less 3s, rebound poorer and play poorer defense and the metrics back that up…

Having a center doesn’t bother me as much as inconsistent defense, stretches where we give up several 2 chance points in a row, while actually being a good rebounding team & people standing around watching CC or even CC getting jacked up and firing 3s because we are down for only like the 10th time all year…

I also wish we’d drive it to the rack a bit more. Early in the year we were getting people in foul trouble a lot I remember a game where Caitlyn alone drew like 12 fouls..

I also don’t like the timidity we saw in the IU game with several girls. It was really strange…if you’re a shooter and you’ve got the green light, SHOOT!

Today was a good example though of CC not needing to be super sharp from the field to still win and that was a decent Illini team.

In some sports there is a clear GOAT. Such as Simone Biles, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, Novak Djokovic. I do think Alcaraz will pass Djokovic if he stays healthy. But at this point, I'm never going to call anyone other than Djokovic the GOAT. I also agree with this list.......

Jordan is the GOAT. Some people who are wrong say it's LeBron. But women's basketball is nothing like any of these examples. There are several women who have strong arguments in this conversation. Which means there really isn't a GOAT. I also think Jordan is the GOAT...but there are several others who have strong arguments. Similar to what you are saying about the womens game.

If you think CC is the GOAT of women's college basketball then you should make that distinction when you call her the GOAT. Otherwise it is reckless usage of the term that is disrespectful to the greats of the women's pro game. Can you elaborate on what you mean about "making the distinction? Because, I am only talking about the college game....not the WNBA. That is still to be proven for her.

As far as the college GOAT, again I feel there are several women in the conversation, which means there is no clear GOAT. There are plenty of people who agree with me and this is evident by some of the backlash that CC is receiving (which btw, is unfair to her). But far too many people have thoughtlessly just crowned CC the GOAT, because GOAT crowning is the cool thing to do these days, and many of the past greats are rightfully pissed about it. Well, I would disagree that anyone who is of the opinion that she is the GOAT had done so thoughtlessly There is ample evidence to back that statement up. I mean. she is doing things no other player has ever done. And, I know there are a lot of other great players from the past in the womens college game, but those people who claim that these others should be considered as the greatest should also need to back up that statement...correct? Now, some of the people who have agreed with you about CC not being the GOAT would have more traction if they used actual facts to back up their statements.....but as we have seen from two or three of them, it appears their statements have been driven by jealousy. Just my opinion...

By making the distinction between college GOAT and overall GOAT, I mean just that. If you don't specifically say college GOAT, then offense can be taken by the pros.

CC definitely has a great argument for college GOAT. It's what seems to have been a mass crowning that no doubt includes a lot of people that haven't put any real thought into it, but rather are just saying she's the GOAT because literally it's a cool thing to say these days. For example, Owen Freeman had a good game the other day and I heard someone call him the GOAT.

This mass crowning phenomenon and lack of distinction between college and pro GOAT has all of the sudden made it as if all these other greats of the women's game never existed. As great as CC is, it has caused her to be overrated, and is causing some backlash that she doesn't deserve, rather than letting her greatness stand on its own

So you don't think CC can be called the GOAT, (and I'd agree its just an opinion), and then go on to say why all others are GOATS, while people could just as easily dismiss your views for the same reasons. Kind of silly don't you think? I mean while I might agree with Jordan over Lebron, (who to me is just a mercenary, and I will never give him that type of respect), others would certainly disagree, and there just as entitled to their opinion as you, and thats all it is.

So you don't think CC can be called the GOAT, (and I'd agree its just an opinion), and then go on to say why all others are GOATS, while people could just as easily dismiss your views for the same reasons. Kind of silly don't you think? I mean while I might agree with Jordan over Lebron, (who to me is just a mercenary, and I will never give him that type of respect), others would certainly disagree, and there just as entitled to their opinion as you, and thats all it is.
Simone Briles🤣🤣🤣

By making the distinction between college GOAT and overall GOAT, I mean just that. If you don't specifically say college GOAT, then offense can be taken by the pros.

CC definitely has a great argument for college GOAT. It's what seems to have been a mass crowning that no doubt includes a lot of people that haven't put any real thought into it, but rather are just saying she's the GOAT because literally it's a cool thing to say these days. For example, Owen Freeman had a good game the other day and I heard someone call him the GOAT.

This mass crowning phenomenon and lack of distinction between college and pro GOAT has all of the sudden made it as if all these other greats of the women's game never existed. As great as CC is, it has caused her to be overrated, and is causing some backlash that she doesn't deserve, rather than letting her greatness stand on its own
I agree with this. As I said earlier....I would NEVER say she is the GOAT of ALL womens BB. Their is simply no evidence to support that at this point. Now, when she does indeed go to the WNBA and Olympics and does the same on those levels during her career, then the discussion can begin.

Your premise is sound, with that said, I still believe this team is better than last years team, even with the 2 recent losses.

Based on breaking down last year vs this year….this will be heresy to some, but if you put Monica back on this team, I believe you could make a case they shoot less 3s, rebound poorer and play poorer defense and the metrics back that up…

Having a center doesn’t bother me as much as inconsistent defense, stretches where we give up several 2 chance points in a row, while actually being a good rebounding team & people standing around watching CC or even CC getting jacked up and firing 3s because we are down for only like the 10th time all year…

I also wish we’d drive it to the rack a bit more. Early in the year we were getting people in foul trouble a lot I remember a game where Caitlyn alone drew like 12 fouls..

I also don’t like the timidity we saw in the IU game with several girls. It was really strange…if you’re a shooter and you’ve got the green light, SHOOT!

Today was a good example though of CC not needing to be super sharp from the field to still win and that was a decent Illini team.
Agreed, Gabby is not shooting with confidence this year as opposed to tournament time last year. Passing up shots she would have taken last year. Shot seems to be off a bit. Hope she can get it corrected. Molly and Kate are doing well in my opinion. Stulkey's position needs help when she's getting a blow.

Reactions: Ree4 and cmhawks99
I think the chase for the record, plus the constant microscope, plus the fan expectations, her own expectations, the minutes and the being admired/hounded everywhere she goes….

Not to mention staying and signing 100s of autographs after every single game has to be exhausting….

As you saw tonight, I believe Bluder will continue to cut back her minutes and sub her more regularly as we move forward. I do think Tanner McCabe will continue to get a few more minutes as well Affolter but it’s also why Gabby Marshall’s minutes aren’t likely to be cut much more because, CC needs to have a couple breaks every game…she got them tonight ..

I also think you will begin to see a more concerted effort of them getting Martin and HS and Davis involved in the game early and often…

And I “hope” CC starts taking it to the rack a little bit more again…
It is Taylor McCabe, not Tanner.

I think by what I have seen on Tv, all this “crap” has taken a toll on #22. It’s unavoidable…it’s a reason Lute left IC except on steroids.
Hopefully she finds some solace and inner peace. Iowa can never repay her for her service to the state and its people via her athletic and personal accomplishments. Dare I say she approaches Nike Kinnick status in UIowa lore?

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion

Not sure the metrics would back that up. As the BIG season has gone on, the comparison between last year and this year has gotten muddier. For example, last year, Iowa led the league in conference play in defensive rebounding percentage. This year Iowa is 5th in league play in defensive rebounding percentage. Last year, Iowa was 10th in league play in offensive rebounding percentage, this year Iowa is 8th. Not sure which year is better.

On defense, Iowa's opponents all have better raw offensive numbers (for them) this year in conference play, versus last year. For example, this year Iowa's conference opponents are at 1.02 points per scoring attempt; last year they were at .99. Similarly, Iowa's conference opponents are at .85 points per play this year, versus .84 last year. But the league numbers are up this year, so Iowa has improved from 7th to 3rd in conference opponents' points per play. Not sure you can pick one year as better.

I think by what I have seen on Tv, all this “crap” has taken a toll on #22. It’s unavoidable…it’s a reason Lute left IC except on steroids.
Hopefully she finds some solace and inner peace. Iowa can never repay her for her service to the state and its people via her athletic and personal accomplishments. Dare I say she approaches Nike Kinnick status in UIowa lore?
So really it was all about the shoes for Kinnick.

Gigantic revelation 85 years later

Not sure the metrics would back that up. As the BIG season has gone on, the comparison between last year and this year has gotten muddier. For example, last year, Iowa led the league in conference play in defensive rebounding percentage. This year Iowa is 5th in league play in defensive rebounding percentage. Last year, Iowa was 10th in league play in offensive rebounding percentage, this year Iowa is 8th. Not sure which year is better.

On defense, Iowa's opponents all have better raw offensive numbers (for them) this year in conference play, versus last year. For example, this year Iowa's conference opponents are at 1.02 points per scoring attempt; last year they were at .99. Similarly, Iowa's conference opponents are at .85 points per play this year, versus .84 last year. But the league numbers are up this year, so Iowa has improved from 7th to 3rd in conference opponents' points per play. Not sure you can pick one year as better.

These 5 players are all much better this year…Clark, Davis, Martin, Stuelke and Affolter. I personal think this team woul win semi handily .

These 5 players are all much better this year…Clark, Davis, Martin, Stuelke and Affolter. I personal think this team woul win semi handily .
I have also tended to think this year’s team is better, but have been rethinking as the year has gone on. Losing Czinano has hurt the offense. The team shot 52.5% in conference play last year. Shooting 49.6% this year.

I have also tended to think this year’s team is better, but have been rethinking as the year has gone on. Losing Czinano has hurt the offense. The team shot 52.5% in conference play last year. Shooting 49.6% this year.
Czinano was much more sure-handed and a better scorer underneath and inside than present post players….A couple of those losses this year would never have occurred if she was in the line-up.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

I don’t believe there is a way to truly equate how much quicker we get up and down the court, our 3 point shooting and our general efficiency.

It’s crazy in this day of advanced metrics. It still comes down to the teams that make the least mistakes and make the most shots….

The last time I looked, our defensive numbers were better, offensive numbers were better rebounding numbers were better, etc.… So to me that means better.

We’ve also played the sixth ranked schedule, and we’ve had four losses… I have no clue what kind of schedule we played last year, but I doubt it was the sixth ranked🤷‍♂️

It looks to me like especially the 2n half of this year Caitlin is having trouble with the next play mentality that she really had in spade last year. She was working with a sport psychologist last year, and either is not this year, or its not working as well. She seems to have a lot more frustration. Some of this is because she is shooting more this year, and she doesnt have the mental toughness of Cinzano/Warnock to rely on. Gabby is not confident right now, and the team is missing a ton of layups. There are a lot of things that could cause this, and I'm not sure that even the team really knows whats causing it.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
It looks to me like especially the 2n half of this year Caitlin is having trouble with the next play mentality that she really had in spade last year. She was working with a sport psychologist last year, and either is not this year, or its not working as well. She seems to have a lot more frustration. Some of this is because she is shooting more this year, and she doesnt have the mental toughness of Cinzano/Warnock to rely on. Gabby is not confident right now, and the team is missing a ton of layups. There are a lot of things that could cause this, and I'm not sure that even the team really knows whats causing it.
With 2 weeks left in the season and the play-offs looming, I didn’t think the Chiefs has a snowball’s chance in hell of making it out of the 2nd round, either.
You just never know……the ball starts going in, Voila!

No. Caitlin is not a shrinking violet type. If she weren't the tough minded young lady that she is, she wouldn't be in the position she is.

She is statistically the greatest offensive player of all time and it’s not particularly close when you factor in the points generated from assists and her own points. That deserves an invitation to the goat conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT