ADVERTISEMENT

Options for OC

Apr 23, 2006
Frustrated to death by Greg Davis. Let's dream a little and say KF fires him/pushes him out this offseason. Who do you all think we could get for a new OC?

I think Kirk steps down prior to firing another Coord. He believes in continuity and walk away before being a revolving door.

I really don't have a problem with BF as coordinator as long as they bring in a passing game guy that is on the same page. Wholesale changes to a spread or something like that obviously is not in the cards because of personnel that we have

Our high school coach is free on Saturdays. Couldn't be any worse, we are in the playoffs!!

The kids across the street in the school yard are drawing up better designs plays than Davis. I'll see if they are availsble after Boy Scouts.

I really don't have a problem with BF as coordinator as long as they bring in a passing game guy that is on the same page. Wholesale changes to a spread or something like that obviously is not in the cards because of personnel that we have
Funny thing is, i think we have the pieces to be a stronger spread team, than what we are now

Reactions: HTAutomotive
Someone who doesn't punt it on the opppnenents 30 something line.

Someone who occasionally goes for it on 4th and 1.

Someone who doesn't do a QB sneak on every 3rd and 1.

Someone who doesn't call the same predictable plays that every OC over the last 16 years seems to call....

Reactions: kcgolfer
Someone who doesn't punt it on the opppnenents 30 something line.

Someone who occasionally goes for it on 4th and 1.

Someone who doesn't do a QB sneak on every 3rd and 1.

Someone who doesn't call the same predictable plays that every OC over the last 16 years seems to call....

Outside of once today I feel like Iowa goes for it on 4th and 1 a lot. Also, the only 3rd and 1 that didn't work was the only time we didn't rub a QB sneak. I'd take a QB sneak every time.

Bring Mangino in....if nothing else it would be entertaining to see that mass roaming around the sidelines.
Charlie Weiss? Doesn't ND still have to pay him for a few more years?

Outside of once today I feel like Iowa goes for it on 4th and 1 a lot. Also, the only 3rd and 1 that didn't work was the only time we didn't rub a QB sneak. I'd take a QB sneak every time.

A QB sneak on 3rd and 1 is a waste of a down and perfect opportunity to create a big play. Go for the sneak on 4th and 1 if you're confident you can get it. 3rd and 1 makes the defense defend everything on the field.

A QB sneak on 3rd and 1 is a waste of a down and perfect opportunity to create a big play. Go for the sneak on 4th and 1 if you're confident you can get it. 3rd and 1 makes the defense defend everything on the field.

You bring up a fair point about 4th but that's assuming you are living to 4th and 1. You allow an opportunity for mistakes (like we saw on the 3rd and 1 play) or an incomplete pass. Plus, you get two opportunities to push the pile for the first. In my opinion, I'd rather make sure you have the new set of downs than make a potential mistake.

What has BF done to make you think he would be a good OC? I'm not impressed with his Oline coaching let alone OC.

You bring up a fair point about 4th but that's assuming you are living to 4th and 1. You allow an opportunity for mistakes (like we saw on the 3rd and 1 play) or an incomplete pass. Plus, you get two opportunities to push the pile for the first. In my opinion, I'd rather make sure you have the new set of downs than make a potential mistake.

That's an ultra conservative approach. My question is why don't more coaches make that call on 3rd down?

I think it's because they are aggressive enough to go for it on 4th at critical points in the game. They use opportunities like 3rd and 1 for a big play or run it where a RB can make a guy miss and turn it into a big play. The QB sneak gives you no big play potential.

That's an ultra conservative approach. My question is why don't more coaches make that call on 3rd down?

I think it's because they are aggressive enough to go for it on 4th at critical points in the game. They use opportunities like 3rd and 1 for a big play or run it where a RB can make a guy miss and turn it into a big play. The QB sneak gives you no big play potential.

Again, I see your point and it is ultra conservative but there is no way to really screw anything up. Both Iowa and Wisconsin had plays blow up on 3rd and short that made an uncomfortable distance to go for it on 4th.

I think we will probably agree to disagree on that strategy. Go Hawks.

What has BF done to make you think he would be a good OC? I'm not impressed with his Oline coaching let alone OC.

While his body of work might be considered minimal as compared to a Greg Davis - he does have experience from being on on Belichick staff and in the end I believe KF would trust him and allow him to go away from a few tendencies that Kirk likes. I think Brian would not be afraid to stand up to the old man and fight for what he believes in in order to make it work as opposed to probably Davis who's always seem to have a communication problem with being on the same page with KF and Brian. Not to mention bringing in someone from outside there would not be anywhere close to that sort of trust or communication level that Kirk and Brian have currently. Just my thoughts now if they could get Phibin back -absolutely!

I don't think it really matters who the OC is because I have a feeling that KF will make them run a more conservative/slow tempo version of whatever style of offense they would like to run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT