ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon’s Roster

It is what it is. Fran and Kirk both do pretty well. Nothing great. Just pretty good. No losing seasons. No championships. Pretty good keeps you employed in places like Iowa for as long as you like barring scandals. That's never going to change. 🤷
I get your point but I think Kirk’s overall body of work is significantly better than Fran’s. Fran doesn’t belong in the same category as Kirk.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I get your point but I think Kirk’s overall body of work is significantly better than Fran’s. Fran doesn’t belong in the same category as Kirk.
Both of them win their fair share of games. Neither one wins games that matter over the last decade or so. Seems pretty close to me. I think the biggest difference between the two programs has been the presence of divisions which goes away this year. No more "Division Championships" to play for in football.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
As a team that emphasizes offensive, here's a question for you, what kind of defensive would you like to see Iowa play that is any different then what they do now. Take in consideration that Iowa normally doesn't get a boat full of 4 and 5 star players.
Also take in consideration how much energy are you expecting the players to exert playing the defense that you wish Iowa would incorporate. The more tired the players get, more fouls are going to happen.
Really, the more defense you put into the game the slower the game becomes, is that what you want Iowa to focus on. Less offense more defense. You can't have both.
Yes, if Iowa concentrated on playing defense, that could produce turnovers that could result in offense, but that's not Fran's system though. Just like to see your take on it.
Remember one of Iowa's greatest teams, the 1970 Hawkeye's averaged almost 99 points a game and went undefeated in the Big Ten while giving up a staggering 87 points a game. does that sound or look familiar?
I hate their coaches and dirty play (at times), but Iowa really needs to be another Wisconsin type program. They had a really good run of it not too long ago - playing smothering defense, taking care of the rock, and peppering the roster with sharp shooters who also play solid defense. Of course this would be a complete reversal of Fran ball. I think others have said before, its fine to be offensive minded, but you really need to have very athletic players to go along with that type of ball....something Fran (or Coach Davis) have not recruited by in large. (obviously there were the one off exceptions through the years). Just my take though.

Both of them win their fair share of games. Neither one wins games that matter over the last decade or so. Seems pretty close to me. I think the biggest difference between the two programs has been the presence of divisions which goes away this year. No more "Division Championships" to play for in football.
In terms of the last 10-15 years, yes.

As far as the whole body of work, Fran has never in his coaching career come close to what Kirk accomplished in the 2000s. Not close.

Otherwise, yeah, in the past 10-15 years, a couple big wins in the regular season vs. Michigan and Ohio State for Kirk, but otherwise a lot of stagnation because of his blatant refusal to evolve offensively.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
In terms of the last 10-15 years, yes.

As far as the whole body of work, Fran has never in his coaching career come close to what Kirk accomplished in the 2000s. Not close.

Otherwise, yeah, in the past 10-15 years, a couple big wins in the regular season vs. Michigan and Ohio State for Kirk, but otherwise a lot of stagnation because of his blatant refusal to evolve offensively.
Yeah. I've been commenting about it in the context of potential for a change. Neither guy is getting the boot without some losing seasons. Neither guy is likely to win anything of substance given their current limitations. Both programs are in a purgatory of sorts.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
As a team that emphasizes offensive, here's a question for you, what kind of defensive would you like to see Iowa play that is any different then what they do now. Take in consideration that Iowa normally doesn't get a boat full of 4 and 5 star players.
Also take in consideration how much energy are you expecting the players to exert playing the defense that you wish Iowa would incorporate. The more tired the players get, more fouls are going to happen.
Really, the more defense you put into the game the slower the game becomes, is that what you want Iowa to focus on. Less offense more defense. You can't have both.
Yes, if Iowa concentrated on playing defense, that could produce turnovers that could result in offense, but that's not Fran's system though. Just like to see your take on it.
Remember one of Iowa's greatest teams, the 1970 Hawkeye's averaged almost 99 points a game and went undefeated in the Big Ten while giving up a staggering 87 points a game. does that sound or look familiar?
Hawks scored 103.8 during conference and I think it was that year they had 3rd place games for each region and we play ND and scored 75 in the first half alone!!!!!!!!!!! I think Johnson averaged 28 during conference!

Traditionally programs battling for recruits would get big-footed by blue bloods( Tyler Ulis to Kentucky) or programs with strong winning legacy(Zags) but with NIL there is a new challenge...beating programs like Tenn who outbidded Iowa for a big recruit last year.

To suggest that lack of NIL money to compete for top recruits is just an excuse is head in sand thinking.

It's like saying the Pittsburgh Pirates have no excuses for not beating the Dodgers to the world series this year.
Iowa is the Pirates in college BB.
Good post.

I see your point; however, would be nice to see more defensive pressure on 3-point shooters. But. I’m not a coach, so maybe not feasible with Iowa’s roster.

I think NIL will be a major factor when it comes time to replace Fran. Will a high-level coach take a job with very limited NIL funds available for recruiting athletes?

You really believe that Few started off with more resources at 7,000 student West Coast Gonzaga than Big10 Iowa basketball has today? Sorry, but it's not even close.
Never said that. But since NIL has become a factor, the Zags have a lot more $$$ for basketball b/c no football

BTW, Gonzaga isn't some obscure BB school in Spokane.
-Dan Fitzgerald was HC for 15 years w/ a 60% W-L record (252-171). He also was relieved of his job as HC/AD for hiding a $200,000+ slush fund for recruiting purposes which did not have the knowledge of the university
comptroller's office. Fitzgerald leaves GU Under Fire.
-Dan Monson followed for 2 yrs w/ a record of 52-17 (75%)
-Mark Few has proven to be an excellent coach as we all know

Never said that. But since NIL has become a factor, the Zags have a lot more $$$ for basketball b/c no football

BTW, Gonzaga isn't some obscure BB school in Spokane.
-Dan Fitzgerald was HC for 15 years w/ a 60% W-L record (252-171). He also was relieved of his job as HC/AD for hiding a $200,000+ slush fund for recruiting purposes which did not have the knowledge of the university
comptroller's office. Fitzgerald leaves GU Under Fire.
-Dan Monson followed for 2 yrs w/ a record of 52-17 (75%)
-Mark Few has proven to be an excellent coach as we all know
As you said, Gonzaga has a great coach. That's why they win. Indiana, Ohio State and Michigan have 10 times the tradition and resources of Gonzaga. None of them even made the tournament this year. In college it's all about who's leading the program. It was like that before NIL. It's like that after NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT